Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

67 RS Budget build Questions (olympia wa)

Old 04-26-2011, 08:17 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 67 RS Budget build Questions (olympia wa)

So in a few months i'm going to start undertaking an ls swap. The car is a 67 RS stock options include the 250 I6 and powerglide. I'm trying to plan this out so that this project doesn't get shelved AGAIN....(long story can be told later).
There are a few things i need to figure out.

Budget:5000 (less is better) ballpark The car as alot of other stuff that requires money as well.

1)5.3 vs 6.0 as far a budget is concerned these 2 engines are great deals.
but i want power and is it worth it to to buy an lq4/9 (getting turbos down there road no matter the engine) or buy the 5.3 and save money for some power adders. This car isn't going to be an all out race car and anything over 450 i will be happy with.

2)I see guys talking all the time on here how they got there 5.3 for 400 (where the heck are you guys shopping!) no seriously are there any yards around here that aren't selling them for 700 plus because 200 more and I'm in lq4 territory anyway.

3) fuel system this car will spend alot of time going side to side just as often as launching or just rolling forward. is there any reason i can't or shouldn't just cut and weld a small sump at the bottom of my stock tank an plum lines from that to an external pump to save on cost. all the pre-made tanks are expensive but i can see the value if the end result is a vast improvement over stock modified in this way.

4) oil pan Cheap i'm not paying holley's price. what is the best pan to use in a 67 camaro swap (prefab/modified) that won't cost me my soul and four children. and with that what is better if i have to modify cut and weld frame or pan. Car has stock power steering rack. For now.

5) just parts source in the area where am i going to get some good deals driving isn't a big deal but if the part is in cali i'm not driving lol. The less i spend on open hear surgery the more i can spend on the face lift if you know what i mean.

Thats all for now more to come as i get the list squared away.

On a side note i have an old 67 327 long block cant remember what it was out of. but i have no need for it. if anyone wants it let me know you can come take a look at it and pay whatever you feel it's worth. i payed 100 (not asking that) it needs A-LOT of TLC it was sitting next to someones garage and i picked it up with the intent to clean it up and make a stock looking engine but changed my mind as my idea shifted to a more retro restoration.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

OK so I don't have time right now to read your entire post but I would go with an lq4/9 but I am pretty sure you will have to swap out the acc. drive for an f-body or vette to fit an ls1 non truck style intake.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:27 PM
Staging Lane

yes you are correct
Old 04-27-2011, 03:30 PM
Staging Lane

any info would be awsome
Old 04-27-2011, 06:27 PM
On The Tree

hey Go to classicperform.com they have tons of good stuff for disc swaps and LS swaps at fair prices i am doin a 67 caprice and may or may not be going down the same road as you shhh....
Old 04-27-2011, 10:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...-upgrades.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...-upgrades.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...-pointers.html
These might help.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:12 PM
Staging Lane

none of those have the answers i am looking for but thank you

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 67 RS Budget build Questions (olympia wa)