Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Looking to move to Seattle. Questions for locals?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 10:00 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Looking to move to Seattle. Questions for locals?

I've got an 01 WS6, modified (headers, rockers, intake, exhaust, etc) that I'm thinking about bringing with me. It's also been lowered and because of the SLP headers has very low clearance (I scrape the cats on speed bumps for instance). I've got some questions for the locals that I'd appreciate some advice on before I decide if I'm going to take my TA up there with me:

- What percentage of the year do you guys get to drive your cars?

- Also for an 01 with headers or similarly modified car, how much trouble do you guys get at the local inspection station?

- What kind of tires do you guys run up there? I have drag radials on there right now (Nitto's), but I assume I'll have to get a nice set of rain tires.

- Finally, I've heard Seattle is a rolly/hilly city. How many of you guys commute with a manual f-body? I'm probably going to be working in downtown Seattle and maybe living there too.

Thanks again in advance for everyone's help

joseph
Old 06-13-2013, 10:31 AM

I just left Seattle for family reasons or I'd still be there.

You can drive almost year round if you don't mind driving it in the rain. If your a guy that doesn't drive in the rain you'll get 30-50 days a year max. Doesn't snow to much there but when it does the city stands still. IMO you'll need a daily and your WS6.

Lowered cars can have some issues. Main roads and highways are ok for the most part.

Drag Radials will have to go, save them for the strip. You never know when it will rain and for how long. Conti DWS worked real well for me there.

They do not inspect for any of that. They will either dyno or sniff your car depending on age. Newer cars only get a obdII check so if no CEL you'll pass.

Downtown Seattle is BAD. the city is built on a hill much like San Francisco, theres no place to park and I would never drive into planning to park in anything other then a beater or something real small.

Hope this helps slightly. Good luck with your move.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:11 AM
TECH Regular

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

I lived in down town on Capital Hill for 7 years and it was a lot of fun. I drove a heavily modified El Camino (lowered, manual valve body, full exhaust with low ground clearance) and it was equal parts a pain and a joy. The people there don't like cars and especially loud cars. The cops will hassle you, and the roads are complete and utter garbage. It rains a lot so if you don't like rain get a DD, I drove my car in the rain and even the snow (think San Fransisco but with snow!). It was a blast to get a friend and go cruise around through down town about the time happy hour ends and the traffic has cleared.
I live in Oregon now and it is a little better road wise, but everything else is kind of the same. I lived with a girl from Texas for a while and it was a lot of culture shock for her to get used to the people. I don't think she ever got used to the weather though, and I think she moved some where warmer and with more sun.
Jessica
Old 06-13-2013, 11:36 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would avoid living in downtown Seattle myself. I really like the Redmond/Kirkland/Sammamish area's. A lot cleaner and nicer. Beautiful areas. About a hours drive from there to downtown Seattle.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:39 AM
Staging Lane

On how long you can drive your car in summer: I go to Seattle often. They sell tshirts there:
'Seattle rain festival Jan 1-Dec 31'
Old 06-13-2013, 01:08 PM
On The Tree

Ya im from the seattle area and driving a stick anywhere down there is pretty crappy. As far as weather....well it rains alot and snows some but its really not to extreme. For inspection...we have emissions in some counties so thats mainly what i would worry about. I registered my car in a diff county so i dont need to worry about catless etc... I would avoid living around seattle IMO
Old 06-13-2013, 11:04 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys. I will be working for Amazon, so I have to live in/around Seattle. Does anyone know any good apartments near Seattle that have garages? Either shared or attached? Not sure how common that is up there as parking is scarce, but it's pretty common in Dallas.

thanks,
littles
Old 06-14-2013, 01:11 AM
On The Tree

Bring your car!

I drive year round with my H/C/I f-body (60-70 miles per day). I run Dunlop Star Spec tires year round (max performance summer tires), no issues even in slight haze of snow..
Old 06-14-2013, 11:10 AM
TECH Regular

I lived on Capital Hill and it is kind of hard to find parking spaces, but I managed to have covered parking for about $130 a month at the most when I lived there. It wasn't a garage but it was covered, well lit and not right on the street. Expect to pay at least $100 more a month just for the parking spot. If you are working at the Amazon in South Seattle area then there are a lot more options on where to live and it is cheaper. I lived down there it can be a little sketchy though.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:01 PM
On The Tree

ya sketchy is right i probably wouldn't park my 05 gto anywhere in seattle for to long
Old 06-14-2013, 05:09 PM
10 Second Club

As has been said several times I would do what I can to not live in Seattle. I am an IT guy based out of Seattle too. But I aint livin downtown with all that mess. Not as a car guy at least.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:52 AM
TECH Addict

I was born and raised in Seattle.

Metro runs right up to Amazon in South Seattle. Park your Fbody and ride the bus. I hate the bus but I hate bringing my car downtown and trying to find parking/navigate the hills even more. (And I think Amazon will even pay for your bus pass.) Find an apartment on the Eastside (Kirkland/Bellevue/Redmond) and commute. It will be safer for you and your car.
Old 06-22-2013, 05:25 PM
Teching In

Thanks everyone, this is good info. Is it fairly common to find apartments there with garages? I'm in the process of looking now. I pay $1240/mo for a townhome style loft in DFW, and that's on the higher side down here. My commute is around 20 minutes.

Not sure how much different it will be working downtown in South Seattle (e.g. should I expect an hour commute taking the metro?). And is your metro the subway (like DC and NY) or the bus?

thanks everyone
Old 06-22-2013, 05:48 PM
TECH Addict

Metro=bus. Travel time really depends on time of day and distance traveled. (Some routes literally stop at every block.)

Apartment rates are comparable, but in town, don't assume you will find any apartments with garages. Seattle has some of the highest parking rates in the nation. It may behoove you to take a short vacation and come out for a weekend or something just to check out the area and accommodations. Sometimes what you see online can be deceptive.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:34 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by howierd42
Metro=bus. Travel time really depends on time of day and distance traveled. (Some routes literally stop at every block.)

Apartment rates are comparable, but in town, don't assume you will find any apartments with garages. Seattle has some of the highest parking rates in the nation. It may behoove you to take a short vacation and come out for a weekend or something just to check out the area and accommodations. Sometimes what you see online can be deceptive.
If you have the opportunity go look at the places you think you want to live in person. They can really be a lot different than what you see online. Also be very clear about garages with whoever you talk to. I had one apartment manager tell me he had a garage for rent with the apartment and it turned out to be one spot just barely off the road under a tree, and it was already taken. Or they have underground parking but the only cars that can get in have to be a Subaru, so they can get down the ramp that is way too steep and fit under the door that is way too low for a truck haha
Jess
Old 07-06-2013, 11:50 AM
On The Tree

Joseph, if I were you I'd get a good running daily beater and a house in the burbs with a garage for the bird. You'll should be in the 1,200 range on a clean nothing special house and probably have a lot more freedom, elbow room, and options that you get having that type of place.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:05 PM
Teching In

Get a place in Bellevue/Redmond/Kirkland. Most apartments around here have covered parking with apartments and some have actual garages. Pretty much every apartment in the Bellevue/Redmond/Kirkland area comes with a covered spot. All 3 cities are nice and parking is good.

You can take the bus from any of those cities across 520 and it'll drop you off right at Amazon's new offices. 520 is tolled so get a Good to Go pass for days you drive so it's cheaper. Seattle street parking blows but it's not terrible around Amazon's new offices. Seattle has a decent amount of parking garages but not sure how many near Amazon. I'm sure Amazon pays for an Orca card (prepaid bus fair).

I drive my f-body everyday except for the 2 days a year it MIGHT snow....
Old 07-12-2013, 02:38 PM
Teching In

Awesome, thanks for the tips everyone. I'm looking at a place in Belltown right now as I want to try out the city life for a year before I move off to the burbs and commute to work that way.

Does anyone know a good salon around Belltown? I used to use Toni and Guy in Dallas, which was a franchise, but there doesn't appear to be any chain like that here that I know of.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:35 PM
TECH Regular

I used the Aveda up on Capital Hill but there are a more than a few nice places up towards West Lake Center in down town that is really close to Belltown.
Jess
Old 07-12-2013, 10:33 PM
TECH Addict

I used to have a place in Belltown. It is much nicer now than when I was there. What the brochure does not tell you about Belltown: Needles in the park, roaches in the buildings, meth heads in the alleys. If you are already looking for a salon then you would like it much more on the Eastside.

Quick Reply: Looking to move to Seattle. Questions for locals?