Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

New heads/cam/intake

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 11:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Flamed99Z28
So when do you think you'll get the funds for a rear on this beast? Think you could get to Woodburn? My wife has family near Portland and Oregon has some breweries I need to sample some goods at... Not to mention I'd really like to see what my car can do in some real air, stock cars here are 13.7 to 14.0 flat, and I was a best of 12.86@109 with a full bolt on car and one of the early LS1 comp baby cams. I can almost smell a road trip for some drag racing, beer drinking, and maybe some sh*t talking... :-)
I really have no clue when ill be getting a nine at this point...it is for sure my next mod tho. I'd love to track it this summer, but I'd like to enjoy the car this summer without broken rear ends
Old 07-25-2013, 03:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you want to "optimize" your set-up then you would need much higher octane gas, much more compression, etc etc etc. Oh well.

You nitrous noobs are funny.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HolyShiznit

What is nitrous? Is it those stickers you see slapped on the windows of Hondas?
Old 07-25-2013, 04:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HolyShiznit
If you want to "optimize" your set-up then you would need much higher octane gas, much more compression, etc etc etc. Oh well.

Definition of optimized in my book: A package of parts that all work together in the most efficient way.

Example; the heads and intake are port matched
The cam is speced by the guy who knows more about AFR heads than anybody.

As far as upping my compression, ill be at 11.4:1 CR. if I went to much higher I'd have to run meth injection....this is a street car. And I don't wana run Nawz or meth. 11.4:1 CR is pretty healthy in my book. If your all about Nawz then that's cool man. To each their own I say. Out of the hundreds of people that have had mamo port them an intake, I think I've received the most negative feed back out of all these people. It's my motor and I'm gonna put the parts on it that I want.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:49 AM
Teching In

Yeah, don't know why you're getting so much flak about your build Slayer, nothing wrong with a sweet NA setup in my book. Your build is so close to the path I took it's scary. Only differences I can see so far is slightly different cam, different exhaust, and slightly more compression. Personally I dig it and your build is good for me to compare to. I'm interested in how the little bit of exhaust duration will help your numbers. You sound like you gave a very similar list of performance wants to Tony, while maintaining that you want a street car and he gave you a slightly different setup than mine.

It's your hard earned cash and your car. If someone doesn't like it, well screw 'em! :-)
Old 07-26-2013, 01:07 AM
8 Second Club

Received 700 Likes on 441 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Did you post the cam specs?

I'm going to assume Tony speced one that won't let the valves hit the pistons.......right?

Maybe when we put the heads on we should check? At 11:1, and AFR heads with the bigger valves, my 226/230 was .074" at the closest points....
I have all the stuff to do it.

Also, I am going to want to look at the FAST intake....can I take it apart?
I ported my own....would be interesting have a look see.....

ron
Old 07-26-2013, 02:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Flamed99Z28
Yeah, don't know why you're getting so much flak about your build Slayer, nothing wrong with a sweet NA setup in my book. Your build is so close to the path I took it's scary. Only differences I can see so far is slightly different cam, different exhaust, and slightly more compression. Personally I dig it and your build is good for me to compare to. I'm interested in how the little bit of exhaust duration will help your numbers. You sound like you gave a very similar list of performance wants to Tony, while maintaining that you want a street car and he gave you a slightly different setup than mine.

It's your hard earned cash and your car. If someone doesn't like it, well screw 'em! :-)
I know right! I dont know man, seems like a solid build to me. Just trying to squeeze out everything I can out of this build. I appreciate the kind words from you mAn, u know what's up lol. I'm happy about e everything I decided on with this setup.

Now here's the cool part. I have an LS3 shortblock, what I'm gonna do is rebuild it in a year or two with forged internals and dished pistons. And while I'm at it I wana up my CR to 11.75:1 and have tony spec me a larger cam. If I had valve reliefs right now I would have went slightly larger on the cam. I'd have wanted something more like 230/232 or so. 227/231 was the biggest I could go without flycutting.

Anyway man, u too have a solid looking topend. I can't wait for some AFR 215 results start coming onto the forum.
Originally Posted by RonSSNova
Did you post the cam specs?

I'm going to assume Tony speced one that won't let the valves hit the pistons.......right?

Maybe when we put the heads on we should check? At 11:1, and AFR heads with the bigger valves, my 226/230 was .074" at the closest points....
I have all the stuff to do it.

Also, I am going to want to look at the FAST intake....can I take it apart?
I ported my own....would be interesting have a look see.....

ron
I posted partial cam specs ...here are the full specs
227/231 .613/.617 114+1. This was the largest cam that would fit without cutting, to answer your question, there should be enough clearance but the cam is maxed out so I agree with you on checking for PTV clearance. So ya bring up your equipment and let's giter done right...Ill consider opening up the intake, I wouldent mind checking it out myself. At the same time there is that saying. "Don't **** with **** that Int broken". LOL
Old 07-26-2013, 02:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Car should really perform well. Not how id spend $8,000 for rwhp in the 400s but N/A is reliable as can be. You should be plenty happy with that combo though. Congrats
Old 07-26-2013, 03:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by itsslow98
Car should really perform well. Not how id spend $8,000 for rwhp in the 400s but N/A is reliable as can be. You should be plenty happy with that combo though. Congrats
Thanks man, this build goes beyond a 346 Na motor. In the somewhat near future ill be putting these parts on a 6.2 liter LS3. That is where my 500+rwhp comes in, got the shortblock for basically nothing
Old 07-26-2013, 07:50 AM
8 Second Club

Received 700 Likes on 441 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by 02sslayer
I know right! I dont know man, seems like a solid build to me. Just trying to squeeze out everything I can out of this build. I appreciate the kind words from you mAn, u know what's up lol. I'm happy about e everything I decided on with this setup.

Now here's the cool part. I have an LS3 shortblock, what I'm gonna do is rebuild it in a year or two with forged internals and dished pistons. And while I'm at it I wana up my CR to 11.75:1 and have tony spec me a larger cam. If I had valve reliefs right now I would have went slightly larger on the cam. I'd have wanted something more like 230/232 or so. 227/231 was the biggest I could go without flycutting.

Anyway man, u too have a solid looking topend. I can't wait for some AFR 215 results start coming onto the forum.

I posted partial cam specs ...here are the full specs
227/231 .613/.617 114+1. This was the largest cam that would fit without cutting, to answer your question, there should be enough clearance but the cam is maxed out so I agree with you on checking for PTV clearance. So ya bring up your equipment and let's giter done right...Ill consider opening up the intake, I wouldent mind checking it out myself. At the same time there is that saying. "Don't **** with **** that Int broken". LOL
Nearly identical to my cam. It will fit.
No need to open the intake, you can see inside just fine by looking in the ports. It'sbest not to disturb the cover seal.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RonSSNova
Nearly identical to my cam. It will fit.
No need to open the intake, you can see inside just fine by looking in the ports. It'sbest not to disturb the cover seal.
Heads are milled to 60cc well. I wa thinking the same thing on the intake
Old 07-28-2013, 03:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Update time, pulled cam today and found out motor is screwed. I'm gonna try to use the L92 sitting in my garage instead. Hopefully ill get some good news and a much more potent motor

Quick Reply: New heads/cam/intake