Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Verizon 4G LTE.......

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 02:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Verizon 4G LTE.......

Any Verizon users on here? I've been with them forever. A couple months ago I finally gave up my Motorola X2 device (awesome phone btw) for a new Motorola Droid Maxx. When switching I had to switch from 3G to 4G LTE service. Ever since then I don't think I've EVER seen full signal bars of service. It's almost always sitting around one or two bars. So,,, needless to say my "4G LTE" experience is not overwhelming and to be honest, it's not really faster than my old 3G phone. I'm starting to think this 4G thing is just a sham..... kind of like buying a newer computer with faster processor but then all the new software eats up any gain in speed.... I know it's not the phone itself because when I'm on wifi, that thing is a page loading, video streaming animal. Really impressed with the phone itself and the battery lasts for days...

Just curious if anyone else experienced this when they switched to 4G. I'm just not impressed at all, but again, I rarely get a signal above 2 bars. How is your 4G signal?

Mike
Old 05-01-2014, 06:40 PM
8 Second Club

Received 698 Likes on 439 Posts

iPhone 5, usually 5 bars.
Although they changed it to dots.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:46 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I'm not on Verizon (can't stand them). But when I switched from 3G to 4G LTE, it was a huge difference in speed for us. Angii has a Samsung and I have a LG Droid phone. When in town, we always seem to have full bars. The only time we drop to just 4G or 3G is when we are traveling in the rural areas.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:44 PM
11 Second Club

What don't you like about Verizon? I can't remember the last time I've dropped a call with them.

Mike
Old 05-01-2014, 11:22 PM
Teching In

I'm on my 2nd + 4g phone with Verizon, even with my great, great grandfather plan. I don't even bother getting on tech interwebz if I'm only in 3g service. 3g is about the same speed as wifi for me. That **** is so slow I'd rather drink a beer and watch tv.
Old 05-02-2014, 02:14 PM
TECH Regular

Mike - IMO there customer service sucks to put it bluntly. That and when I moved over here, they would not port my number over for that matter neither would AT&T.
Old 05-02-2014, 02:26 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Rockin C Racing
Mike - IMO there customer service sucks to put it bluntly. That and when I moved over here, they would not port my number over for that matter neither would AT&T.
Interesting. I've never really had an issue with them before on the customer service end. If you think they are bad,,,, you should try dealing with Comcast. OMG,,, what a joke they are.

Mike
Old 05-02-2014, 04:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have verizon and had the Motorola razr maxx with 4g lte, it was pretty quick, i rarely would use wifi. After having a faceoff Motorola vs Kobota the other day, i am now back to a 3g incredible 2 and it is much slower when using 3g compared to 4g. Have you tried to update your towers i believe its done by dialing *228. If not I would talk to verizon, not sure exactly where you live but i would assume that it should be better in vancouver area, i generally had pretty good 3 to 4 bars service when at airport. If you have done that already and/or it doesn't work you should try calling verzion to see if they can help you out. I am now on the hunt for a new phone to get back to 4g; but it is going to have to come from craigslist.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:36 PM
Launching!

I think we have a similar phone on Verizon. Motorola RAZR Maxx. I've had it 2yrs and the contract is up, but still works good so I haven't replaced it.

At my neighborhood, the AT&T and Sprint signal are pretty weak and often dropped calls. The Verizon signal is much better here. I concur with your opinion of both Verizon and Comcast.

I have full strength 4G, with 5 bars. I've run speed tests to compare. At one time 4G was actually faster than my Comcast cable, but not the case today. 4G shows max 14down/6up and Comcast is 28down/6up.

There's a cool app called Sensorly, to see actual coverage submitted by users running the app, and compare coverage from users on other networks.
Old 05-02-2014, 07:33 PM
8 Second Club

Received 698 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey 97Z M6
Interesting. I've never really had an issue with them before on the customer service end. If you think they are bad,,,, you should try dealing with Comcast. OMG,,, what a joke they are.

Mike
NOBODY likes Comcrap.....
Old 05-02-2014, 09:27 PM
TECH Regular

Agree with Ron. I had Comcrap when I first moved up here and never again.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:36 AM
TECH Regular

i have verizon and it's decent in the PDX area. beyond that (or, anythere outside of bend and nor CA the signal is pretty absent)

i have 5 phones with high minutes (1400 anytime, free nights/weekends) free texts, one with data, two are insured, blah blah. for $177 after tax
overall i'd say it has the best roaming compared to other carriers. Nextel/sprint is garbage. Tmobile doesn't get very far into "the country" either
Old 05-08-2014, 08:39 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What don't you like about Verizon? I can't remember the last time I've dropped a call with them.

Mike
Originally Posted by Rockin C Racing

Mike
I've had Verizon ever since the cellphone hit the market. Never once have I had bad customer service or any issues with their devices or coverage. There's a reason why they are the #1 provider in the industry.