Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Can I drive unsmoggable car in Oregon?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 12:11 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I drive unsmoggable car in Oregon?

So I've lived in Smog Law h*ll for the last 20 years in California, but we recently moved to Oregon. I've seen a ton of posts on here about how Oregon has no smog laws outside of Portland and Medford, which I am well outside of. However looking on here and the Oregon DMV page, I keep getting the same thing. That if a car doesn't pass smog you can't register it (even outside the two above listed counties). So my question is can I legally drive a car that isn't registered? From what I've seen on here it seems like that's what people are saying, but I feel like that's crazy. Maybe I'm just being paranoid?
Old 04-29-2017, 01:54 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you live in a area that doesn't require you to DEQ your car your good you just go get tags at DMV
Old 05-01-2017, 08:56 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by lukesev00
So I've lived in Smog Law h*ll for the last 20 years in California, but we recently moved to Oregon. I've seen a ton of posts on here about how Oregon has no smog laws outside of Portland and Medford, which I am well outside of. However looking on here and the Oregon DMV page, I keep getting the same thing. That if a car doesn't pass smog you can't register it (even outside the two above listed counties). So my question is can I legally drive a car that isn't registered? From what I've seen on here it seems like that's what people are saying, but I feel like that's crazy. Maybe I'm just being paranoid?
what city do you live in? it's not as simple as outside of portland. I'm cattless on my obd 2 car and have never had an issue as long as there's no check engine light. No one has ever checked visually.
Old 05-14-2017, 10:30 PM
Launching!

No DEQ in Salem.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

http://www.deq.state.or.us/VIP/

use this tool to find if you are in a smog/no smog area.

if not, just go get your tags. if you are, there are ways around it...but they are quasi-legal

Quick Reply: Can I drive unsmoggable car in Oregon?