Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Finally got around to detailing my car...

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 12:07 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally got around to detailing my car...

Long story- short, I am a professional detailer. Every time someone stops by or I stop by their residence to review a potential project... my ride looks shabby. The only excuse I got is- I work on other people's stuff, lol.

Finally found two days to give my newly found SS some love.

And on to it...

Typical wash marring above.

Better.

Rear sail panel showing rotary trails and more severe wash damage.

A little compound/ polish dust left over in this pic.

Have been told that SLP painted the SS hoods. If so, it would make a lot of sense as there were hoards of sanding marks present on the hood. Light silver is hard to photograph when it comes to paint defects but rest assured they were there in numbers.

Light wet sanding with 3000 on a 3" pneumatic sander. Removing deep defects easily. (And you don't have to worry about heat from a machine and compound!)

More sanding on lower portions of hood. ALL the way to the edges because pigtails extended to the edges from SLP (allegedly.)

All better.

All better.

Final product. Car coated with C.Quartz Professional for 2+ years of gloss, easy maintenance, and environmental protection.

Etc.

Wheels decontaminated, polished, and coated with C.Quartz DLUX. For excellent brake dust resistance and protection. Should last 1+ years with normal washing with zero alkaline or acidic chemicals.

Only item that did not receive proper attention was the headlamps. I have an OEM set that are about to be installed.

Hood looking crisp after extensive work. Not bad for silver!

Thanks for reading and commenting!

-Gabe
Old 12-11-2017, 12:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

Looks damn good. So nice when a vehicle is done right.

I do detailing myself and could literally look at paint and the depth and clarity for hours on a vehicle that is done right.

It's painful to look at some of these vehicle's on the road that are just torched by a hack or someone that does not know what they are doing.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:28 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 98CayenneT/A
Looks damn good. So nice when a vehicle is done right.

I do detailing myself and could literally look at paint and the depth and clarity for hours on a vehicle that is done right.

It's painful to look at some of these vehicle's on the road that are just torched by a hack or someone that does not know what they are doing.
Thank you sir!

Yeah, the clarity is the kicker for me. I can live with some defects here and there but if there is any haze or improper polishing methods... I just can't appreciate it.

Detail on good sir!
Old 12-11-2017, 12:34 AM
On The Tree

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

1 - Nice name lol!

2 - Good job on the car. I've been meaning to get around to the girlfriend's Trans Am but have not had the time. Luckily it's in pretty incredible shape as far as the paint is concerned!
Old 12-11-2017, 12:40 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Number Tew
1 - Nice name lol!

2 - Good job on the car. I've been meaning to get around to the girlfriend's Trans-Am but have not had the time. Luckily it's in pretty incredible shape as far as the paint is concerned!
1.- Well under the age of 40 but my father raised me right. The Duke is the ideal American!

2.- Thank you sir! Glad the Trans Am is in good shape. A light polish and sealant should put her in an ideal state (one above incredible :-).)
Old 12-11-2017, 02:21 AM
On The Tree

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Rooster Cogburn
1.- Well under the age of 40 but my father raised me right. The Duke is the ideal American!

2.- Thank you sir! Glad the Trans Am is in good shape. A light polish and sealant should put her in an ideal state (one above incredible :-).)
I aim to hit it with some clay and a light polish very soon. I have a few nice new sealants to try as well

And haha good to know!
Old 02-08-2018, 09:26 PM
Teching In

Long story- short, I am a professional detailer. Every time someone stops by or I stop by their residence to review a potential project... my ride looks shabby. The only excuse I got is- I work on other people's stuff, lol.

Finally found two days to give my newly found SS some love.

And on to it...

Typical wash marring above.

Better.

Rear sail panel showing rotary trails and more severe wash damage.

A little compound/ polish dust left over in this pic.

Have been told that SLP painted the SS hoods. If so, it would make a lot of sense as there were hoards of sanding marks present on the hood. Light silver is hard to photograph when it comes to paint defects but rest assured they were there in numbers.

Light wet sanding with 3000 on a 3" pneumatic sander. Removing deep defects easily. (And you don't have to worry about heat from a machine and compound!)

More sanding on lower portions of hood. ALL the way to the edges because pigtails extended to the edges from SLP (allegedly.)

All better.

All better.

Final product. Car coated with C.Quartz Professional for 2+ years of gloss, easy maintenance, and environmental protection.

Etc.

Wheels decontaminated, polished, and coated with C.Quartz DLUX. For excellent brake dust resistance and protection. Should last 1+ years with normal washing with zero alkaline or acidic chemicals.

Only item that did not receive proper attention was the headlamps. I have an OEM set that are about to be installed.

Hood looking crisp after extensive work. Not bad for silver!

Thanks for reading and commenting!

-Gabe
Looks good! Do you do any side work?
Old 04-08-2018, 09:18 PM
Teching In

Sorry for the delay but I am not here often...

I don't do side work, unfortunately. I typically book out 3- 4 weeks so... my 'sidework' is taking care of stuff around the home, lol!

Thanks for the comment though!
-Gabe
Old 04-13-2018, 05:11 PM
Launching!

If you come anywhere near the Salem area in Oregon PM me a price. My SS needs some attention and it might be nice to have a professional do it lol
Old 04-13-2018, 10:43 PM
Teching In

Powers-

I am a fixed location, thus not mobile, so the likelihood I will never be down in Salem is 0%.

However, I have a passion for these cars... if you find a weekend you can shoot up here with the car... let me know.

Happy to take a full day to give you a firm understanding of proper wash/ decon methods + a crash course with D/A polishing. (I utilize a rotary when necessary and wet sanding BUT the common person does not need that information nor would the time allow it.) A D/A polisher provides a safe and proficient tool of which ANYONE can polish paint to an acceptable result.

We could probably knock out 2/3 of the car... in 8 hours. And with the knowledge I can extend... you could take care of the rest.

I typically charge $250 for this... but if you are at all interested in detailing the car yourself and learning how to do it properly... it's money well spent. AND you can continue to do this year after year with full access to my experience if you encounter something unexpected in the future.

Otherwise, I know a guy in Salem (you've probably already heard of him) that does a pretty bang up job down there whom I can refer you to.

Let me know & Thanks for the message.
-Gabe
Old 04-16-2018, 03:07 PM
Launching!

Powers-

I am a fixed location, thus not mobile, so the likelihood I will never be down in Salem is 0%.

However, I have a passion for these cars... if you find a weekend you can shoot up here with the car... let me know.

Happy to take a full day to give you a firm understanding of proper wash/ decon methods + a crash course with D/A polishing. (I utilize a rotary when necessary and wet sanding BUT the common person does not need that information nor would the time allow it.) A D/A polisher provides a safe and proficient tool of which ANYONE can polish paint to an acceptable result.

We could probably knock out 2/3 of the car... in 8 hours. And with the knowledge I can extend... you could take care of the rest.

I typically charge $250 for this... but if you are at all interested in detailing the car yourself and learning how to do it properly... it's money well spent. AND you can continue to do this year after year with full access to my experience if you encounter something unexpected in the future.

Otherwise, I know a guy in Salem (you've probably already heard of him) that does a pretty bang up job down there whom I can refer you to.

Let me know & Thanks for the message.
-Gabe
Nice! I can't think of the detailer in Salem you're referring to though so id love to get his info from you and maybe some time I'll talk with him. Has he been around a while?
Old 04-23-2018, 02:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks great!!

Quick Reply: Finally got around to detailing my car...