Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Which lid, and TB porting

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 11:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which lid, and TB porting

I think I'm gonna buy me an air lid today. I'm leaning towards the carbon fiber MTI lid, but that article in GMHTP comparing lids showed some impressive TQ gains with the Granatelli lid. Any suggestions?

I think I'll take a Dremel to my TB this weekend, and see if I can completely ruin it with a home-brew P&P. Any advice on what to do/not do, and things to look out for when I do this?
Old 01-13-2005, 11:11 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I had it to do all over again I'd probably go with one of the smoked clear lids from TSP... they look really nice.

As far as performance goes, really a lid is a lid is a lid when it comes to aftermarket ones. I have an older SLP one and it fits great... doesn't look that good, but it performed well in that article you're talking about.

I may have to get me another lid soon since mine has a provision for the AIR pump hose, which I don't need anymore since I pulled the air pump.
Old 01-13-2005, 11:26 AM
10 Second Club

hey hawk, i have the mti carbon lid and it fit's alright, but not perfect. In about 2 weeks i will be getting rid of mine completly and make you a good deal on it. Once i get rid of the maf completly i have a good idea for a cold air setup, that i think will work really well.

As for a throtle body check out scoggin dicky on the sponsers page thats where i got mine and it works just the same as evryone elses and is cheaper. home port jobs are cool but if you don't shape it perfectly you could end up hurting yourself in the long run. i would just spend the money on a cnc ported one and save yourself the hassell. But once again if you want to do it yourself i say go for it! If i just settled for what evryone else did i would still have an interior
Old 01-13-2005, 11:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tranzor_Z28
If I had it to do all over again I'd probably go with one of the smoked clear lids from TSP... they look really nice.

As far as performance goes, really a lid is a lid is a lid when it comes to aftermarket ones. I have an older SLP one and it fits great... doesn't look that good, but it performed well in that article you're talking about.

I may have to get me another lid soon since mine has a provision for the AIR pump hose, which I don't need anymore since I pulled the air pump.
That's what I've always heard. But, check this out: http://www.motorsporttech.com/fbody_air_intake01.asp . There's a link to a scan of the GMHTP article in question in the second paragraph. The MTI lid dyno'd at 326/336 on it's best pull. The best pull for the Granatelli lid was 330/345. However, the MTI lid posted the quickest ET. Looking at the numbers for all the lids as a whole, along with ET's, what could explain this difference. Could it be nothing more than the +/- error tolerance of the dyno?
Old 01-13-2005, 11:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sardog46
hey hawk, i have the mti carbon lid and it fit's alright, but not perfect. In about 2 weeks i will be getting rid of mine completly and make you a good deal on it. Once i get rid of the maf completly i have a good idea for a cold air setup, that i think will work really well.

As for a throtle body check out scoggin dicky on the sponsers page thats where i got mine and it works just the same as evryone elses and is cheaper. home port jobs are cool but if you don't shape it perfectly you could end up hurting yourself in the long run. i would just spend the money on a cnc ported one and save yourself the hassell. But once again if you want to do it yourself i say go for it! If i just settled for what evryone else did i would still have an interior
I'll check them out... And I'll think about the lid. I'm pretty impatient, and I want a lid NOW NOW NOW!

Yeah, what kind of ***** needs things like "carpet" and "seats"? Hell, if the NHRA wasn't so stuck up about it's "safety" and it's "rules", you'd probably have an egg-crate for a driver's seat, am I right?
Old 01-13-2005, 11:53 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Silverhawk_02TA
That's what I've always heard. But, check this out: http://www.motorsporttech.com/fbody_air_intake01.asp . There's a link to a scan of the GMHTP article in question in the second paragraph. The MTI lid dyno'd at 326/336 on it's best pull. The best pull for the Granatelli lid was 330/345. However, the MTI lid posted the quickest ET. Looking at the numbers for all the lids as a whole, along with ET's, what could explain this difference. Could it be nothing more than the +/- error tolerance of the dyno?
Differences in ETs can be anything... hell, it's hard for any driver, even a professional one, to get consistent times (within a tenth or so) on a car they just climbed into and started driving that day. I'd say since the differences were so minimal, they can be chalked up to small inconsistencies on the dyno (not only with the dyno, but with the car as well), as well as inconsistencies at the track (driver doing something even the tiniest bit different can result in a noticeable difference on the time slip).

Personally, I'd go with a lid that is known to fit well (#1), and also looks good since that's the first thing people see when you open up the hood (#2 for me). Past that, the performance difference is pretty negligable, unless a lid has a proven track record of being a complete dog...
Old 01-13-2005, 12:01 PM
10 Second Club

I have a CF MTI lid & I like it. It fits well & looks good, and was 2nd I think on the comparison. I'd wait & buy sardogs. It'll take you a week to get a new one anyway.

Now for the TB....I had Jantzer do mine. His turn-around time is unpredictable, but he's local (Oregon), does good work, and is cheaper than most others. Doing it yourself has risks. The IAC opening is rather touchy I'm told. And lots of people get into trouble trying things like halving the shaft & knife-edging the blade. But you can always buy another one after you ruin this one.

Steve Goodwin might have one for sale (if he got his from Janzter & Boyce doesn't want it back)
Old 01-13-2005, 12:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Differences in ETs can be anything... hell, it's hard for any driver, even a professional one, to get consistent times (within a tenth or so) on a car they just climbed into and started driving that day. I'd say since the differences were so minimal, they can be chalked up to small inconsistencies on the dyno (not only with the dyno, but with the car as well), as well as inconsistencies at the track (driver doing something even the tiniest bit different can result in a noticeable difference on the time slip).

Personally, I'd go with a lid that is known to fit well (#1), and also looks good since that's the first thing people see when you open up the hood (#2 for me). Past that, the performance difference is pretty negligable, unless a lid has a proven track record of being a complete dog...
Yes, I was speaking mostly about the dyno pulls. Track times are affected by so many factors, that I'd want to see something like the ET's of about 20 runs for a given lid averaged together to produce an "average ET" for each lid. I'm sure after doing that all the "average ET's" would be pretty damned close.
Old 01-13-2005, 12:07 PM
TECH Veteran

I got my ported throttle body from Thunder Racing... a bigger sponsor like that is much more predictable. I don't have a problem with mine in regards to tuning, and I noticed a difference with throttle response right away... kind of surprising since I didn't expect much from that sort of mod, but it was one I could feel.
Old 01-13-2005, 12:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
I have a CF MTI lid & I like it. It fits well & looks good, and was 2nd I think on the comparison. I'd wait & buy sardogs. It'll take you a week to get a new one anyway.

Now for the TB....I had Jantzer do mine. His turn-around time is unpredictable, but he's local (Oregon), does good work, and is cheaper than most others. Doing it yourself has risks. The IAC opening is rather touchy I'm told. And lots of people get into trouble trying things like halving the shaft & knife-edging the blade. But you can always buy another one after you ruin this one.

Steve Goodwin might have one for sale (if he got his from Janzter & Boyce doesn't want it back)
Hehe. I'm all about doing stuff myself, and I'm on a roll after the resounding success of my laptop mount! I can't afford to have much downtime, so sending my TB out to a 3rd party isn't gonna fly. And dropping $300 on a new TB is a hard pill to swallow for what would probably be less than 10 HP. Thunder racing has ported TB for $150 + $200 core charge, but I don't think they'll take my TB since I've drilled the hole.
Old 01-13-2005, 12:20 PM
10 Second Club

Yhea saftey sucks, and is expensive.........j/k i guess it's for the best, but if i could have it my way, there would be a lot less stuff in my car, b/c i feel safe even without the cage.
Old 01-13-2005, 12:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sardog46
Yhea saftey sucks, and is expensive.........j/k i guess it's for the best, but if i could have it my way, there would be a lot less stuff in my car, b/c i feel safe even without the cage.
Yeah, I guess I'll take you up on that lid. But I just got paid today, and I want to buy something, dammit! Matbe I'll get an Autometer triple pod and some gauges...
Old 01-13-2005, 01:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Juat an FYI, TSP has ceased manufacturing those smoked lids for a while (don't know why) and the only ones you can find are on ebay or on the boards here, etc.

Also, for whoever posted about needing a new lid due to removing the AIR system, I did that on my '02 and just plugged the hole with a $7 plug from the link below. Took all of about 37 seconds to install when I got it.

Lid Plug
Old 01-13-2005, 02:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Rottluver
Also, for whoever posted about needing a new lid due to removing the AIR system, I did that on my '02 and just plugged the hole with a $7 plug from the link below. Took all of about 37 seconds to install when I got it.

Lid Plug
Thanks for the link, Rott... I just purchased one of those.
Old 01-13-2005, 02:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Thanks for the link, Rott... I just purchased one of those.
My pleasure, glad to be of service.........I had to jam it in good (with the help of some nice lithium grease) into my SLP lip......but it works/fits like a charm.
Old 01-13-2005, 02:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rottluver
Juat an FYI, TSP has ceased manufacturing those smoked lids for a while (don't know why) and the only ones you can find are on ebay or on the boards here, etc.

Lid Plug
That's exactly why I'm avoiding the SLP lid. My AIR system is in a landfill somewhere.
Old 01-13-2005, 02:46 PM
TECH Veteran

That's exactly why I'm avoiding the SLP lid. My AIR system is in a landfill somewhere.
They make the SLP lid with and and without the provision for the AIR pump... just have to order the 98-00 lid instead of the 01-02 lid.
Old 01-13-2005, 10:15 PM
12 Second Club

GM High-Tech ran a comparison test in the May 2004 issue. Top 3 at track were

Stock 13.12 E.T. 108.76 MPH
MTI 12.92 109.90
SLP 12.94 110.04
1/4 perf 12.96 109.73

I do have an extra T.B. that I purchased from Boyce, ported by Bauer Racing, it's pretty cool looking to boot, candy red. If I ever get my T.B. back from Jantzer I part with it.
Old 01-14-2005, 12:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Steve Goodwin
I do have an extra T.B. that I purchased from Boyce, ported by Bauer Racing, it's pretty cool looking to boot, candy red. If I ever get my T.B. back from Jantzer I part with it.
Heh. From what I hear, you could be waiting awhile. Which is a shame, cause it seems like he does good work. Found a guy on here with a ported TB hes asking $100 for. He's supposed to be sending me pics. We'll see!
Old 01-14-2005, 07:52 AM
12 Second Club

Heh. From what I hear, you could be waiting awhile. !

Not sure if it is good or bad news. Since I'm waiting for those parts I've been detailing the undercarriage and engine bay. It's gonna look great but I'll probably never want to drive the car again, just leave it on jack stands with the hood open and look at it.

Quick Reply: Which lid, and TB porting