Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Clutch stuff

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2005, 01:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clutch stuff

Well, I called and talked to Red (the owner) at Mcleod about my clutch troubles this weekend, and he said the clutch I bought should be more than enough clutch for my rwhp and for a drag racing application... they use it in some 500 rwhp drag cars, plus he said its the clutch of choice for the twin turbo Lingenfelter Vettes. In fact, he even suggested I launch it higher than the 5k rpms I was leaving at on Sunday in order to not put too much drag on the clutch from the rpms dropping too low.

Anyhow, he said I could send the disk in to be re-finished in kevlar/kevlar, instead of the kevlar/organic that I have now... should have more aggressive holding characteristics that way. He also suggested wrapping the hydraulic lines to keep them cool. Also said not to use DOT 5 synthetic fluid, keep it to DOT 3 or 4 mineral-based, since the synthetic stuff eats the seals in the adjustable master cylinder.

I followed up by calling Shaun @ S&M Auto, and he still believes that the clutch disk material itself just isn't enough... and after talking with Ellis and Jason at the track, I'm thinking the same thing, it just ain't enough. So I think what I'm going to do is have the disk sent in for re-surfacing to a Kevlar/Kevlar disk since McLeod will do that for free. Shaun said that he would try to convince Red to just send a new Kevlar/Kevlar disk directly to the shop, and that Shaun would personally send back my old disk when the new one comes in...

Either way, looks like my car will be laid up for a little while until I can get a new disk in, so no racing for me for a few weeks. I guess I'll probably just have Shaun throw on my LSX intake since he'll have my car in the garage for a week or two.
Old 02-22-2005, 02:52 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bummer man...you still got that master cylinder for me tho?
Old 02-22-2005, 08:36 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Heck if you would have told me it was a half half I could have told you it would spin

We abuse cars harder here then most it seems. I took out a Clutch of simular design in one pass in Jims car. any one who has been to my shop has seen it

I think you will have beter luck with the Kevlar'kevlar. It may be fun to drive that is for sure
Old 02-22-2005, 09:25 PM
10 Second Club

jason i would ask them about their 900 series disk with the sinterd iron face on it. I have specs iron and no problems as of yet, and you see what kind of abuse i give mine.

I would also recomend using the stuff i am using for the clutch fluid, it also held up really well. The circle track guy that sold it to mne said he has seen rotors melt before it burnt this fluid. I have another jug if you want to give it a try.
Old 02-22-2005, 10:35 PM
TECH Resident

You gonna be selling that LS6 intake?
Old 02-22-2005, 11:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Ellis: Yeah, I figured that single disk McLeod would be up for the job, everything I've read said it would hold 400-450 rwhp just fine, and I'm sitting at 381 rwhp corrected, so I figured I was safe... But then again, I am hitting it HARD with my ET Streets, gears, etc. so power probably isn't the problem, it's the whole setup. I have the 12 bolt, nitrous driveshaft, built up tranny, so I guess it's back to the clutch as the weak point.

Jason: I'm thinking of making a switch to a RAM 900 series disk (Powergrip HD) which is their sintered iron material... will be harder to drive on the street, but should grab like a ****. And I was specifically told that the synthetic clutch fluid would be a bad idea, since the adjustable master cylinder doesn't like it... Red @ McLeod said no higher than DOT 4, and keep it mineral based.

Amorget: Sorry bud, there's at least two people already in line for the intake, so that's why I haven't advertised it for sale.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:57 PM
TECH Resident

Ahh well, I tried Thanks!
Old 02-23-2005, 07:26 AM
10 Second Club

I just saw some show where they used that fluid in their clutch for racing...forget which show it was....too funny. But when you want performance, there are always trade offs. Just like with any clutch that will hold up to what you are doing to it. You end up like Boyce with something that doesn't like normal driving conditions.

Or like my stall converter selection.....it isn't going to drop me into the 11s like a 4400 stall would, but it will be streetable. I'm not saying you can't make it better, but you are pushing the limits now & to go much further you start running into losing one thing to gain something else. At least that is the battle I am facing.

Either way, the LSX should put you into the 11s.
Old 02-23-2005, 08:11 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
I just saw some show where they used that fluid in their clutch for racing...forget which show it was....too funny. But when you want performance, there are always trade offs. Just like with any clutch that will hold up to what you are doing to it. You end up like Boyce with something that doesn't like normal driving conditions.

Or like my stall converter selection.....it isn't going to drop me into the 11s like a 4400 stall would, but it will be streetable. I'm not saying you can't make it better, but you are pushing the limits now & to go much further you start running into losing one thing to gain something else. At least that is the battle I am facing.

Man My Wife LOVES driving the blue car. I try to keep the trade off to a Minimum
Old 02-23-2005, 10:31 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tranzor_Z28
Jason: I'm thinking of making a switch to a RAM 900 series disk (Powergrip HD) which is their sintered iron material... will be harder to drive on the street, but should grab like a ****. And I was specifically told that the synthetic clutch fluid would be a bad idea, since the adjustable master cylinder doesn't like it... Red @ McLeod said no higher than DOT 4, and keep it mineral based.
I think the 900 would be a good idea, i don't think it's any harder to drive on the street. As for the fluid, I forgot you got an adjustable master. It might shorten the life span of the seals, but it would not be like an overnight thing, it would probely take years for the seal to break down IMO
Old 02-23-2005, 10:48 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
I'm not saying you can't make it better, but you are pushing the limits now & to go much further you start running into losing one thing to gain something else. At least that is the battle I am facing.

No kidding... it really is coming down to choices at this point. Am I ready to do the things necessary to run the fastest times, or am I just going to be happy with "pretty decent at the strip, but still runs well on the street".

No matter what, it's gonna cost money... this ain't a cheap game we're playing, that's for sure!
Old 02-23-2005, 12:53 PM
10 Second Club

Game? This aint no stinkin GAME.....this is my LIFE bubba!

More like an addiction actually. The more you get, the more you want.

And besides, until the #10 car is running 11.5s, then it's not serious, right?
Old 02-23-2005, 12:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Addiction is right... I used an excel spreadsheet to map my mods and the costs, and well... I can't stand to look at the bottom line anymore so I stopped updating it. I figure what I blissfully don't know won't hurt me...

And from the looks of things, soon we're gonna have to run an 11 to stay on the list...
Old 02-23-2005, 01:18 PM
10 Second Club

And from the looks of things, soon we're gonna have to run an 11 to stay on the list...
Yes I know. And THEN the rubber will meet the road for me. Can I live with not being in the top 10 with a low 12 second car? Or will I make whatever sacrifice is required (money, streetability, food, etc) to make the list?
Old 02-23-2005, 01:30 PM
Tech Addict

Addiction is right... I used an excel spreadsheet to map my mods and the costs, and well... I can't stand to look at the bottom line anymore so I stopped updating it. I figure what I blissfully don't know won't hurt me...
I did that once. ONCE! I have a stack of receipts from Jegs and Summit over an inch tall for my money sponge in the garage. I quit adding it up before I got halfway through the list since I was already to 5 figures worth of bs that you really can't see when you look at the car.

Addiction is right. Now I have two cars to be buying stuff for. My poor Chevelle has taken a back seat for mod money since I got the Formy.
Old 02-23-2005, 01:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Yep, once my sheet crept north of the 5 figure mark (and just like you, there's a lot of crap that I have nothing to show for) I decided to purge the document and burn any paper evidence before the wife found it...
Old 02-23-2005, 01:42 PM
10 Second Club

It does get expensive i will tell you what. But it all maters how far you are willing to go to meet your goals. Now that i have reached the ten second mark i thought i would be done, but now their is the urge to go faster! That is why i am looking at a new cam, but once this thing runs 10.5 or faster I will be done till i build my new motor. I think i have about maxed out the stock bottom end. And im running on borrowed time.

And to tell you the truth when the car starts walking wall to wall all the way down the track, it gets a little scary, and might not want to break the ten second mark. It will probely be a couple of weeks before i get back to the track, but have to get that rush back, the fear goes away, and then it is just . Not much else in my life has come close to that feeling, and now i am hooked hard, and their is no turning back.

Quick Reply: Clutch stuff