Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Orr

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2005, 01:15 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Orr

Bill, been checking out OpenRoadRacing since last night and was looking around more just now... it definatly looks like something that would be fun to do.

I noticed while reading through the rules it mentioned 6 people all finishing within .025 mph... that's a lot of pretty dead on times. Are there a lot of people that do these events? Or is it just people that have been doing it for awhile and have it down good.

Also, obviously there are a lot of top end cars running down there... but are there some that aren't? Not beaters obviously as the rules wouldn't allow such, but your pretty average new car. From what I gatherd, the two lower divisions really only require an in-car mounted extinguisher... other then that just long sleeve shirt, jeans, full shoes and an approved helmet. So pretty much anyone can put up the $50 a year and head out for the weekend and run?

Bryan
Old 04-03-2005, 11:19 AM
10 Second Club

Yeah, the lower classes are designed for just about any car in good condition. I saw a 38 Chevy & an SUV running the 95mph class last year. As for the $50 & run, er....um....it also costs ~$600 to enter the race of your choice.
Old 04-03-2005, 11:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bubba_Goat
Bill, been checking out OpenRoadRacing since last night and was looking around more just now... it definatly looks like something that would be fun to do.

I noticed while reading through the rules it mentioned 6 people all finishing within .025 mph... that's a lot of pretty dead on times. Are there a lot of people that do these events? Or is it just people that have been doing it for awhile and have it down good.

Also, obviously there are a lot of top end cars running down there... but are there some that aren't? Not beaters obviously as the rules wouldn't allow such, but your pretty average new car. From what I gatherd, the two lower divisions really only require an in-car mounted extinguisher... other then that just long sleeve shirt, jeans, full shoes and an approved helmet. So pretty much anyone can put up the $50 a year and head out for the weekend and run?

Bryan
Bryan,
Pretty much anybody can run and you can find some pretty hacked out cars out there too ! Not unsafe, but well worn shall we say You do see alot of very impressive top end cars, but also stock Honda's, Pickup trucks, old muslce cars, old sports cars etc etc. You pretty much see everything out there. Also the $50 per year is for the membership only. You have to be a member to enter an event. Each event has it's own entry fee's as well whose cost is dependant on which class you want to run. The faster you go the more expensive it is. It's about $250-$600 depending on class. The lower classes don't require much in the way of safety gear, I haven't looked in a while, but pretty much what you have spelled out. ALL info can be found thru their homepage. Event fee's can be found at the link below

http://www.openroadracing.com/html/_download_forms.html
Old 04-03-2005, 12:40 PM
10 Second Club

Hey, you could enter Bills class & officially blow by him in your truck!

Actually, I think I'm entering about the highest class they will let a rookie drive in (120mph target, 140 tech) and I believe you have to take a class like Ram-it took at PIR first. Which is another $400. Bill & Boyce's level requires a few previous races & a cage, and the next step up for them requires a 12pt cage & fire supression system. So it gets rather expensive to pass tech to run in the higher classes.
Old 04-03-2005, 02:46 PM
Launching!

From what I read, rookies are only required to take their first timers class they offer before you can go... but of course I could have missed something along there.

I also found that I would be restricted to the first division because of the speed rating on my tires... there aren't a lot of tires out there that big, that size and load rating of a 1 ton truck with high speed ratings. lol

Mark, from what I saw, you can get up to a max class of GS1 (rookies) which is a 130 target and 150 tech. But that requires a 5 point harness and rollbar... which I didn't notice in there. The GT is a 5 point required and rollbar recommended... looks like T4 is the highest you can go rolling stock... which is a 110 target and 124 tech. Although you do have T-Tops... is that considered to be an "open vehicle"? If that's the case... then you're gonna have to get at least a rollbar to run anything over the SST2 class (90 target, 110 tech). Which if that's the case... you'd be rolling with me.
Old 04-03-2005, 04:46 PM
10 Second Club

I have a 6pt bar & 5 pt harnesses in the works. Just tring to decide whether I should buy Bogart skinnies to try to hit 11s, or buy the bar while it's on sale (if I buy a Wolfe). My car will be over qualified for the 120 class by August. At least that's the plan.

And you are correct Bryan, all rookies have to take the short class / driver eval from MKM. But I believe Boyce was allowed to run the 130 class last year because he took the class @ PIR. No matter, it's a good idea & I plan to take it this spring.
Old 04-03-2005, 05:25 PM
Launching!

Oh ok, yea I think I recall reading that as well that you can step up in classes if you've done some of their races before or have taken another course somewhere else.

As for the skinnes or a bar... I think I'd go for the bar since it's a bit cheaper right now (if you do decide to go with that bar over another) because don't you need the bar anyway to run 11's? Or was it changed to run under mid 11's?
Old 04-03-2005, 05:40 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
I have a 6pt bar & 5 pt harnesses in the works. Just tring to decide whether I should buy Bogart skinnies to try to hit 11s, or buy the bar while it's on sale (if I buy a Wolfe). My car will be over qualified for the 120 class by August. At least that's the plan.

And you are correct Bryan, all rookies have to take the short class / driver eval from MKM. But I believe Boyce was allowed to run the 130 class last year because he took the class @ PIR. No matter, it's a good idea & I plan to take it this spring.
My vote is for the bar Mark. You're going to be doing 140 mph ( 150 mph if I can talk you into it ! ) for a long time, on a fairly narrow 2 lane road, with no shoulders. You have much more to lose without a bar, than you do to gain with skinnys IMO. Chances are you're going to need the bar in both endevours anyway, might as well get it now. I know I'll feel much better knowing you have one installed. I'm pretty sure that as you're lined up on the starting line,in the last tension filled 10 minutes before they drop the flag, you're going to feel much better about having it too !
Old 04-03-2005, 07:04 PM
10 Second Club

Yes, the piece of mind is nice. I know I will not want to run the ORR without it. So from that perspective I do need IT. Whereas the skinnies might be the difference between a low 12 & a hi 11, but I don't KNOW that I need them to hit my 11 sec goal. And the bar is on sale, while the Bogarts NEVER go on sale. Don't need a bar until 11.499 now.

So, I guess, I should opt for the roll bar.....who wants to come help me put it in? j/k I'm sure I'll be so **** about how & where I cut & bolt things it will take me 2 days to do a 6hr job. I just hope I don't have to butcher the custom front floor mats too much.

Sorry, I got us side-tracked. So are you thinking about doing an ORR Bryan? A bunch of us are going to the PE 130 this year. Boyce, Bill, me, Rokko (?), and I think there might be 1 more. I lost track now. It aint cheap, but it is a friggin BLAST!!!
Old 04-03-2005, 07:47 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
Yes, the piece of mind is nice. I know I will not want to run the ORR without it. So from that perspective I do need IT. Whereas the skinnies might be the difference between a low 12 & a hi 11, but I don't KNOW that I need them to hit my 11 sec goal. And the bar is on sale, while the Bogarts NEVER go on sale. Don't need a bar until 11.499 now.

So, I guess, I should opt for the roll bar.....who wants to come help me put it in? j/k I'm sure I'll be so **** about how & where I cut & bolt things it will take me 2 days to do a 6hr job. I just hope I don't have to butcher the custom front floor mats too much.

Sorry, I got us side-tracked. So are you thinking about doing an ORR Bryan? A bunch of us are going to the PE 130 this year. Boyce, Bill, me, Rokko (?), and I think there might be 1 more. I lost track now. It aint cheap, but it is a friggin BLAST!!!
i will help you out mark. Got a pretty good idea on the wolf, shure you want to go bolt in?
Old 04-03-2005, 08:44 PM
Launching!

I'd like to... since I started looking at their site the other night it's been itching me. However depending on how things are going, I may not have the truck come August. Of course, I probably won't have it past the Bonneville 100 either. However if things work out how I want them to, I'll have an 05 GTO come time for the PE 100 in which case I'd still be down for a run.
Old 04-04-2005, 07:50 AM
10 Second Club

An 05 GTO would be PERFECT for an ORR!!! They handle like a Vette.

As for the bolt-in vs weld-in, I know the bolt-in isn't as strong Jason, but it's easier to install (I can do it myself) and there's no risk to the car. Well, I might screw up the carpet when I cut it, but I won't burn the car down!!! And my plans for the car don't require a weld-in type bar / cage. Heads are the only other mod I plan to do, so I doubt I'll go faster than 11.5. And the suspension is all wrong to run an ORR race much faster than 120.
Old 04-04-2005, 10:13 AM
10 Second Club

I here you mark. Like i said i will help you with the install. The only thing i did no like about the bolt in is people still noticed some flex. But like you said you will not be faster than 11.50............yet

Quick Reply: Orr