Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

It's about gwadamn time...now what tire?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 03:01 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It's about gwadamn time...now what tire?

I finished my clutch up Sunday night and already I can tell that it was seriously slipping, because now it will just blow the tires off in 1st and 2nd gear. Now I have a dilemma.

Im thinking about stepping up to nitto 555r's in the rear but dont want to blow up my rear end. Is it chance-able? Or should I just forget about running a drag radial? As long as I can make it last until August or so i think i can cover getting a new rear.

I don't plan on really heating them up at all, it's just that i have these shitty *** kumho 711's that don't do a thing for me. I would basically just treat these as regular radials that hook a little better and might spin em a little to clean em off every now and then.

Thanks for the comments in advance.

Nate
Old 04-12-2005, 07:40 AM
10 Second Club

My limited experience with Nittos is under normal conditions they do spin, but not as much as a street tire. My 315 GoodYear GSCs would smoke up to 100mph & finally catch. My 315 Nittos spin up to about 40mph & HOOK. However, if you heat them up, they stick like my Hoosier QTPs. So your 10 bolt could be in for some increased torture.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:09 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by taufern
I finished my clutch up Sunday night and already I can tell that it was seriously slipping, because now it will just blow the tires off in 1st and 2nd gear. Now I have a dilemma.

Im thinking about stepping up to nitto 555r's in the rear but dont want to blow up my rear end. Is it chance-able? Or should I just forget about running a drag radial? As long as I can make it last until August or so i think i can cover getting a new rear.

I don't plan on really heating them up at all, it's just that i have these shitty *** kumho 711's that don't do a thing for me. I would basically just treat these as regular radials that hook a little better and might spin em a little to clean em off every now and then.

Thanks for the comments in advance.

Nate
Glade you got it done. As for tires Nitto's should be alright on your ten bolt, unless you do what mark said and heat them up. then kiss that thing goodby. Mine went on a set of the nitto r2's and they hook like ****.

I will bet the car feals a 200% better.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:41 AM
TECH Veteran

You should be fine just cruising around, and they will hook better than a regular radial even if you don't heat them up... unless the temperature dips below about 45 degrees, and then they don't hook worth snot.

Just don't heat them up and drop the hammer with that 10 bolt in there... ask Boyce what happened to my 10 bolt when I was just bolt-ons only and tracked the car on Nittos. I was on the stock clutch too, which is more forgiving to the drivetrain than an aftermarket one.
Old 04-12-2005, 12:59 PM
TECH Junkie

With an M6 and that kind of power the rear end is marginal on regular tires, but provided you don't get wheel hope or drive like a maniac then DR's should be fine. I have always run DRs and when my SC tires go I'll be getting some RII's for the Z06. Should of got DR for the Z28 but they didn't have them in stock and I was in a hurry
Old 04-12-2005, 01:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

nitto's will be fine. you'll still spin your *** off, but it will be better than regular radials. if it's not your daily driver, i'd put on M/T et street radials, or even et streets. one of my buddys is running 17" et street on his 10 bolt, and it's held for a few months now. he's making alot more power than you are, and beats on it constantly.
Old 04-12-2005, 04:56 PM
Banned

kickassT/A...it is a daily driver so i am hopeful that it will last. If it goes, hey just go get a new rearend. I just don't want it to go that quickly because im buying a house here and am incurring a lot of new expenses and my wife would beat me with a stick.

Jason (sardog) The car feels so much better now, this clutch is awesome. Thanks for all the advice. I'll have to tell you later how we got that damn pilot bearing out

So I think im gonna go for it when i get the cash here this month. You guys think i should do lca relocation brackets at the same time or should i get a torque arm? Either way im game.

Thanks for all the replies.

Nate
Old 04-12-2005, 06:38 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by taufern
kickassT/A...it is a daily driver so i am hopeful that it will last. If it goes, hey just go get a new rearend. I just don't want it to go that quickly because im buying a house here and am incurring a lot of new expenses and my wife would beat me with a stick.

Jason (sardog) The car feels so much better now, this clutch is awesome. Thanks for all the advice. I'll have to tell you later how we got that damn pilot bearing out

So I think im gonna go for it when i get the cash here this month. You guys think i should do lca relocation brackets at the same time or should i get a torque arm? Either way im game.

Thanks for all the replies.

Nate
I would probely go with the relo brackets. Just buy the bolt on ones that way when you change rearends you don't have t buy them again.

And anyone who says they a weaker, I have tested mine 1.4 60ft and no problems

Quick Reply: It's about gwadamn time...now what tire?