Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

I'm FOOKED!!!!!!

Old 05-06-2005, 09:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I'm FOOKED!!!!!!

Well, I ain't racing this weekend either... let me give you all a run down of the problems my car has been having the past couple weeks:

Rear Suspension FOOKERY:

1. Driver side wheel rubs pretty good on hard turns... found out Moser 12 bolt isn't quite lined up right. Easy enough, fix with adj. panhard plus a severe red-headed step child-type beating on the wheel well.

2. 1" rear sway bar has been hitting rear shock... looks like shock bracket on driver's side wasn't sitting in right spot by about an 1/8" or so (manufacturer defect, probably). Had to move shock mount over a hair so rear sway would stop clunking on shock.

3. Torque arm hitting driveline tunnel HARD... pinion angle screwed, messed around with it, got it as close as possible without an adj. torque arm (yet another thing that's being added to an already expensive list)

Transmission FOOKERY:

4. Driveshaft bound up in transmission. Seems to be a result of Moser not being lined up, so Denny's Nitrous Ready driveshaft didn't line up with tranny... well, you get the picture. Stuff not being straight + Driveshaft with no give in it = FOOKERY

5. Billet flywheel toasted and warped due to McLeod clutch burning against it. Thank you McLeod for making a wonderful product. Had to be resurfaced...

6. TSP y-pipe & rumbler rubbing in not-so-pleasant places... which it had been for a while, but now I wanted it fixed because it was driving me batty. Pipes had to finally be removed and fabbed a bit to fit better. That's what I get for buying one of the first batches shipped.

7. Rear end leaking like a sieve... leaks from the cover, from the pinion seal, bolts, you name it, it's leaking from there. Had seals re-done...

Engine FOOKERY:

8. Removed LSX Intake, saw that the valley cover bolts I so conveniently forgot to replace during my install dimpled the bottom of the intake... huge sigh of relief, at least it didn't crack it. Simple enough, replace with button head bolts that I brilliantly forgot first time around.

9. Rocker bolt that almost rounded on me on my last cam install comes back to haunt. After trying to break it, now its rounded completely and won't come out at all, not with anything... Ok fine... we can deal that, no biggie.

10. Another rocker puked all needle bearings out!!! Accounted for oh maybe 10 of them in the oil and around the rocker... the rest are probably stuck somewhere in the head. ARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Let's add some better rockers to the list that'll make me rob a bank by the time it's done...

Now I know why that guy shot his car...

Ok... well that's my story. I'm gonna go drink now.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, that's a long list of crap to go wrong. Really sorry to hear all of that! The sledge hammer in the wheel well isn't too bad, the worst part is the fact that you are actually beating the **** out of your car. Try not to cry.. God, I would be so enraged if I were you about those manufacturer defects that mess up other parts! Hope you get this stuff all fixed and hope it doesn't cost you an arm and a leg. Sorry to hear about all your problems.
Old 05-07-2005, 12:41 AM
Tech Addict

Old 05-07-2005, 12:57 AM
10 Second Club

Dude that sucks jason. I am going to go drick a beer for ya.
Old 05-07-2005, 01:25 AM
10 Second Club

Damn son, I WAS going to psot about not being able to get my valve covers installed, even with Boyce's relocation brackets, but now I feel so bad about your car, mine is just fine. Let us know if you need a hand getting together......I'm drinking a Mikes for you.
Old 05-07-2005, 02:29 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Tranzor_Z28
2. 1" rear sway bar has been hitting rear shock... looks like shock bracket on driver's side wasn't sitting in right spot by about an 1/8" or so (manufacturer defect, probably). Had to move shock mount over a hair so rear sway would stop clunking on shock.
Hhhmm, I get a NASTY loud clunk/bang from the rear area over dips and uneven roadways at various times.........I wonder if it could be that (too big) 25mm rear sway bar hitting the custom diff cover or something else back there?????

Someone smarter then me (not very hard to come across) suggested I put my tiny stock rear sway bar on (to help with the crummy handling) and now I am even more intrigued to do so to see if it eliminates this noise as well........
Old 05-07-2005, 03:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sardog46
Dude that sucks jason.
Is that a new way of saying something sucks really badly?
Old 05-07-2005, 12:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Rottluver
Hhhmm, I get a NASTY loud clunk/bang from the rear area over dips and uneven roadways at various times.........I wonder if it could be that (too big) 25mm rear sway bar hitting the custom diff cover or something else back there?????

Someone smarter then me (not very hard to come across) suggested I put my tiny stock rear sway bar on (to help with the crummy handling) and now I am even more intrigued to do so to see if it eliminates this noise as well........
I think mine was hitting because the 12 bolt's shock mounts are off slightly... they seem uneven. If you still have the factory 10 bolt, I'd think that yours would be ok, unless the shocks themselves are of a bigger diameter.

My guess is you've got the same issue I have with the torque arm... especially if you have a non-adjustable one. Mine has been slamming into the driveline tunnel on big dips and bumps, so that is probably where yours his hitting too.
Old 05-07-2005, 12:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
Damn son, I WAS going to psot about not being able to get my valve covers installed, even with Boyce's relocation brackets, but now I feel so bad about your car, mine is just fine. Let us know if you need a hand getting together......I'm drinking a Mikes for you.
Yeah, it seems like a big mess... but people have had it worse than me, that's for sure. At least my intake wasn't cracked from my previous fubar, and at least nothing is really damaged that isn't easily replaced.

The car is up at Shawn's now... he's going to pull the heads and get all the needle bearings cleaned out (there looks like some lodged under the valve springs and everything), and then put it all back together.

Hell.. .we all suffer setbacks at some point in this sport. My down time isn't **** compared to Boyce's or Ellis's, so I really shouldn't complain too much. It'll hopefully be all up and running by next weekend.
Old 05-07-2005, 01:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Tranzor_Z28
I think mine was hitting because the 12 bolt's shock mounts are off slightly... they seem uneven. If you still have the factory 10 bolt, I'd think that yours would be ok, unless the shocks themselves are of a bigger diameter.

My guess is you've got the same issue I have with the torque arm... especially if you have a non-adjustable one. Mine has been slamming into the driveline tunnel on big dips and bumps, so that is probably where yours his hitting too.
(Sadly) stock 10 bolt....but the TA girdle/diff cover is from summit and sticks out QUITE a bit more then the factory one.....but I will check out the torque arm as well tomorrow when she is up in the air. It is just the factory torque arm so anything is possible..........nuttin but trouble since I did the suspension & dual exhaust. REALLY makes me wish I had never done the true duals........

I am putting the factory rear sway bar back on (as suggested by Ellis) and then I need to lube the outta my right rear shock cuz it squeeks every time I breathe too hard in the car.........as for the shocks, I dunno if they are significantly (or any) bigger then the factory decarbons......they are just the SLP Bilsteins........

Oh, glad to hear there wasn't any heinous damage done to your ride.
Old 05-07-2005, 04:14 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry to hear your problems.

Some of them are well known issues that should have been addressed when installing the parts. All of your rear end wow's have been documented many times on other cars. We took care of Marks right from the start. Ask Mark how much his rear end hitts After market TQ arm will be worse. The shock mounts are not the problem as much as having to clock the Sway bar correctly. I have installed quite a few of them with no problems.

As far as the clutch? How you figure it is Mcleods fault? What you are discribing is typical from ANY clutch used the way you are using it. Just part of the game.

Over all things look bad but you have not sustained any serious losses. This game cost money and things do not always go as planned. Self inflicted damages always hurt the most...next to explaining it all to the wife Sounds like a complete dis-assembly of the drive train is in order. Make sure you cover your bases and DON'T cut corners.

Good luck man lets us all know when and what we can help with!
Old 05-07-2005, 04:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Well, the 12 bolt install was a little bit of a rushed job... just did it in Ryan K's driveway, and we figured the thing would have been fine since he had been using it for so long. But, I guess every car is a little different, and my issues didn't become evident until everything kind of settled.

Wasn't too many ways that we could have done up the sway bar... mine's a little different than Mark's (Spohn vs. Wolfe, the Wolfe looks like a different shape from the pics I've seen), plus the sway bar relocation kit I bought from Spohn should have fixed any issue of it not lining up correctly on the install. Apparently that wasn't enough... but at least now with the car up on a lift I had an easier time seeing everything. A lot easier for me than sliding around on my back looking at stuff...

As for the clutch, I just didn't expect as much damage to a billet steel flywheel after 2 times out to the track cutting no better than a 1.76 60', and about 1000 miles total. I think it was just a case of the clutch not being enough... but McLeod claimed it would be, and I trusted the opinion of their techs. Again, I probably should have asked someone a little more familiar with our cars... they are after all trying to sell a product.

Yeah I know... no serious losses, which is a good thing. There will be no corner cutting here, everything will be cleaned up and pieced together properly. Even if it means a little extended down time... I'd rather that be the case than end up back in the garage with an even worse problem later.
Old 05-08-2005, 04:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Tranz just so you know I felt that way about Mcloed when you were talking about buying it I went through two single disks pretty quick and funny thing is I asked Mcloed before I installed it was there any break in procedures and they said no maybe give it a few miles. When it burnt out in a matter of months I called them and the first thing they said was "did you follow the break in procedure" last time I buy a clutch from them.....

Good luck on your other issues, I wish I was closer I'd come turn some wrenches for yah!

Bobby

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I'm FOOKED!!!!!!