Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Anyone find 0w30 German Castrol around here?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 10:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone find 0w30 German Castrol around here?

Like the subject says, anyone seen it?

I can always go pick up some Amsoil at GIJoes, but thats a slightly annoying drive. I'd like to try the Kraut Castrol.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:51 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't ventured out of my way to an Autozone to see if they stock it... Autozone seems to be the only place in the U.S. that keeps the German Castrol. Since the closest one to me is about 15 miles away, I don't bother... I just go about a half mile down the road to Schmucks and pick up some Mobil 1 0w40.

Although, I might find a dealer for Amsoil and just have that delivered to me...
Old 05-10-2005, 11:14 AM
10 Second Club

I know none of the stores up here carry it. So i just order from summit, royal purples racing 41.
Old 05-10-2005, 03:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are talking about the German Castrol that is funky colored........according to a lotta guys in the "tech" sections here and on other boards, they have stopped making it/importing it. The stuff that says "Made in Germany" is no longer the same color/type as it used to be a few months ago. Most stores have sold out of the good stuff and are now carrying this imitator. Sorry.
Old 05-10-2005, 03:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Rottluver
If you are talking about the German Castrol that is funky colored........according to a lotta guys in the "tech" sections here and on other boards, they have stopped making it/importing it. The stuff that says "Made in Germany" is no longer the same color/type as it used to be a few months ago. Most stores have sold out of the good stuff and are now carrying this imitator. Sorry.
None of the stores up here carry German Castrol, green or otherwise. It's all the good ol' "Made in the USA" Castrol in these parts.

To me, it just ain't worth chasing it down when there are plenty of great synthetics on the market. I use Mobil 1 due to availability, but I would not hesistate to use Amsoil or Redline either.

I don't really care if one oil will let my engine live 250k miles instead of 225k miles... hell, I have 24k miles on mine, and my car will probably be lucky to see 50k miles before I'm no longer the owner of it and don't have to worry about what oil goes in it.
Old 05-10-2005, 03:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Tranzor_Z28
None of the stores up here carry German Castrol, green or otherwise. It's all the good ol' "Made in the USA" Castrol in these parts.

To me, it just ain't worth chasing it down when there are plenty of great synthetics on the market. I use Mobil 1 due to availability, but I would not hesistate to use Amsoil or Redline either.

I don't really care if one oil will let my engine live 250k miles instead of 225k miles... hell, I have 24k miles on mine, and my car will probably be lucky to see 50k miles before I'm no longer the owner of it and don't have to worry about what oil goes in it.
I could not agree MORE with you if I tried. I know there is a group of "the guys" who religously chase down the German stuff, send their used oil samples out for testing, etc but to me, it just isn't worth it. I just rolled over 28k on my car and IF it ever saw 100k, like Tranzor said, it would probably be with a different owner then me...........just my feeble $.02
Old 05-10-2005, 03:22 PM
TECH Veteran

I could not agree MORE with you if I tried. I know there is a group of "the guys" who religously chase down the German stuff, send their used oil samples out for testing, etc but to me, it just isn't worth it. I just rolled over 28k on my car and IF it ever saw 100k, like Tranzor said, it would probably be with a different owner then me...........just my feeble $.02
heh... and the way I put my engine through the wringer, I doubt it would see 100k miles anyway without a rebuild, no matter what oil gets put in it.
Old 05-10-2005, 03:26 PM
TECH Veteran

heh... and the way I put my engine through the wringer, I doubt it would see 100k miles anyway without a rebuild, no matter what oil gets put in it.
My poor car is just starting to get broken in now.........and once I finish this move and get a new DD, I may get more aggressive with her.......I have my eye on this new cam from SDPC I like the specs and it seems like it might be a good cam for my (stock heads) application.....

Cam Specs
Old 05-10-2005, 03:30 PM
Tech Addict

I thought Autozone carried the german stuff?

The new mobile1 0-30 is supposed to be pretty damned good. I have used the Mobile1 European Formula 0-40 since I got my car with good results. I change it every 3-4K and my cars only got 32K on it. So like rott and jason, I'll worry about oil a bit down the road.

Amsoil is very good. Their filters are supposed to be top notch too. But try and find a dealer when you need one for a spot oil change.

Royal Purple or Redline, one of them was supposed to be a seal eater. course all this is taken from internet boards.

Try this, some good reading here: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/
Old 05-10-2005, 03:34 PM
Tech Addict

My poor car is just starting to get broken in now.........and once I finish this move and get a new DD, I may get more aggressive with her.......I have my eye on this new cam from SDPC I like the specs and it seems like it might be a good cam for my (stock heads) application.....

Cam Specs
That's an off the shelf Crane Cam. A couple of their grinds have caught my eye as well. Along with their new rockers.

http://www.cranecams.com/?show=newPr...38d5c2dc0dbaab

http://www.cranecams.com/index.php?s...e_Size=5.7%20L
Old 05-10-2005, 03:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Rokko
I thought Autozone carried the german stuff?
AutoZone is where they used to carry it down here in So Cal but it sounds like they stopped carrying it recently, according to a buddy of mine who is in love with that stuff........there are allegedly still new bottles of it that say "Made In Germany" BUT it isn't the same green(?) stuff that it used to be...........
Old 05-10-2005, 03:38 PM
TECH Veteran

That's an off the shelf Crane Cam. A couple of their grinds have caught my eye as well. Along with their new rockers.

http://www.cranecams.com/?show=newPr...38d5c2dc0dbaab
Yeah, I just read the fine print where it says it is a Crane cam......but still, looks like it might be a good one for someone like me who isn't trying to max out their car's potential?

I didn't see it on the link you provided, but it is a 220/224 on a 114 which I could get excited about.
Old 05-10-2005, 03:40 PM
Tech Addict

Yeah, I just read the fine print where it says it is a Crane cam......but still, looks like it might be a good one for someone like me who isn't trying to max out their car's potential?

I didn't see it on the link you provided, but it is a 220/224 on a 114 which I could get excited about.
I didn't see it on the link either, so I found another one that had it on it and edited my post. And I hear ya, I just want a slight lope and more power all over.
Old 05-10-2005, 06:50 PM
TECH Veteran

I didn't see it on the link either, so I found another one that had it on it and edited my post. And I hear ya, I just want a slight lope and more power all over.
Exactly......I am right on the edge of 360/370 for hp/tq so I think that cam and a new tune should put me right where I wanna be.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:18 PM
Tech Addict

360/370, sheeeeeeeeeeeet. i'd be happy with that right now, you got 40 on me. a cam should put you at ~400 pretty easily. yes, you sure do need new times to post in your siggy. git yo *** up hea sukka!

sorry about hijacking the thread Visc.
Old 05-11-2005, 01:21 AM
TECH Veteran

360/370, sheeeeeeeeeeeet. i'd be happy with that right now, you got 40 on me. a cam should put you at ~400 pretty easily. yes, you sure do need new times to post in your siggy. git yo *** up hea sukka!

sorry about hijacking the thread Visc.
Actually, funny you/I should mention that.......a bunch of the gang down here is going to the "local" track tomorrow night........of course it is at 2700' elevation, so my time slips will still suck, but they HAVE to be better then what I have so far...........

I was hoping that cam would put me near 400 but I thought it might be a bit too optimistic on my part to think that I could gain 40 (+-) rwhp from just that and a new tune. Who knows.....only one way to find out: SPEND MONEY!!!!!

1 last thing..........the truck pulls outta here in 16 days.

And yeah, sorry for the hijack too.......
Old 05-11-2005, 01:44 AM
TECH Veteran

your timeslips won't be much to brag home about up here either... our density altitude isn't all that great, especially as we head into summer. Times will just get slower and slower as it warms up...
Old 05-11-2005, 08:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

I got some of the german made 0w30 about 2 weeks ago at autozone. I haven't used it yet to see if it is the green stuff or not.

I did use some of the green stuff in our Tahoe the last time I changed oil in it (that was awhile ago....darn gas hog)
Old 05-11-2005, 01:39 PM
TECH Veteran

your timeslips won't be much to brag home about up here either... our density altitude isn't all that great, especially as we head into summer. Times will just get slower and slower as it warms up...
Warms up..... You guys crack me up.......the average temp down here last year (in my City) hovered between 90-100 for over 3 months straight......but I understand what you mean......it is all relative.

Oh yeah, and the track, located in the "beautiful" City of Palmdale, is in the Mojave Desert.......which is usually a good 10-15 degrees warmer then here.

Yes I am whining......just trying to prep myself for tonight.......it has been very windy lately so hopefully that will keep it cooled off enough.

Last edited by Rottluver; 05-11-2005 at 01:44 PM.
Old 05-11-2005, 01:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Ackattack1
I got some of the german made 0w30 about 2 weeks ago at autozone. I haven't used it yet to see if it is the green stuff or not.

I did use some of the green stuff in our Tahoe the last time I changed oil in it (that was awhile ago....darn gas hog)
Keep us posted on if it is the "good stuff" or if they too have the "new" non-German, German Castrol.....

Quick Reply: Anyone find 0w30 German Castrol around here?