Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

What type of fire extinguisher is in your car

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2005, 01:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What type of fire extinguisher is in your car

I know I should have one in my car but I keep putting it off. I am serious about having one though and am going to knuckle down and buy one but I don't know what to get for the Trans Am.

Halon seems to be the proper choice from what I have read online. But what size do I get? What do the police carry? What does NHRA recommend? What do Boyce and Bill use? And can Mac & Jack put out an engine fire? (j/k ... I would not want to waste good beer like that )
Old 06-12-2005, 01:53 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm... depends on how much I been drinking. 64 ounce Double Gulp, I got a class three extinguisher on me.

In all seriousness, my buddy who works for a fire suppression systems company highly recommends against Kidde products... total crap and worthless in putting out a real fire. If you get one, spend a good amount of money to get a good one.
Old 06-12-2005, 01:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

fixed-install halon is the way to go. Many boats have them for the engine bay / room and they're worth the insurance in my opinion. then maybe a small one in case stuff goes really wrong. If you have a fire it's 80% likely to be under the hood, so better to have the facility to extinguish it immediately
Old 06-12-2005, 02:46 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

That is all good Save for the fact that the EPA has done every thing it can to all BUT ban Halon(both types).

I think the newer less effective brand is Halitron. Now this is what you use for a no mess setup. It takes Quite a bit but works and disappears with in minutes.

For my Shop I have one good ABC Fire Ext and would like to pick up a few Co2 Units. Co2 is another good chemical for no mess but the cooling effect can cause a great deal of damage.

BTW the only differance Between Kiddie and the others is there crappy dispencers. Cemicals are the same (regulated cemical make up)

Can anyone guess what I did at one time?
Old 06-12-2005, 02:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

you started fires?
Old 06-12-2005, 04:36 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by narcszm
you started fires?
Think "fire, ladders, and broken arms"
Old 06-12-2005, 10:27 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by GEARHED
Think "fire, ladders, and broken arms"
Oh yeah, that's a funny story.....tell us about it Ellis.

I have a 2 lb dry NAPA I throw in the car when I go racing. I think it meets NHRA & SCCA rules. I'd like to have a system installed in the spare tire well before I go open roading, but they run $500. I want a dual system that has 1 nozzle in the engine bay & 1 in the pass compartment.
Old 06-12-2005, 10:48 AM
TECH Addict

I have a 2 1/2 lb 10-B:C dry chemical extinguisher. Just make sure you get a full metal DOUBLE clasp hanger bracker for it. Most extinguishers that you will come across have a single clasp and they won't pass tech, at least in ORR anyway.

If I move up just one more class then some fancy schmancy built in Halon system becomes manadatory. I probably "should" have one in it now, but they want $$$ for them
Old 06-12-2005, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

I will say this....Fire is Bad!

Here's the short version of Ellis's fire fighting days

He was doing some work on his car when he caught the interior on fire. The car was 6 feet in the air on a lift so the first thing he did was grab the ladder and hose...

Well, in a rush and with water everywhere, he slipped off the ladder, twice, and broke his arm...So I then used the fire extenguisher to put the fire out, which is a bad thing to do...don't do it unless you really have to! The chemicals just eat up the wiring bad...

Anyway, his car was totally gutted...but with a lot of hard work, it looks good again and you can't even tell anything happened
Old 06-12-2005, 11:41 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Feel the love

Above and beyond the Fire incedent I was a Fire and Safety Tech and one time

We will have to Scan the Fire pics some day for everyone to Laugh at
Old 06-12-2005, 11:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

was this a cage-welding incident? That padding under the carpet is evil. I should take some when I go camping as a fire-starter.
Old 06-12-2005, 12:57 PM
Tech Addict

Here is the set up I want...

Old 06-12-2005, 01:13 PM
TECH Addict

I saw that too. Something simmilar in a Porsche too. Just a couple of pieces of aluminum bolted on under the seat. That set up in the vette is about $150.
Old 06-12-2005, 01:15 PM
TECH Addict

That is a pretty sweet looking setup Unfortunately it would be illegal for certain types of racing since you couldn't reach it while strapped in with a 5 point harness I wonder what the specific rulings are for NHRA specs ?
Old 06-12-2005, 01:42 PM
Tech Addict

I thought it was pretty neat to have it there, it does have limitations. It seem like it may be easier than stretching back to the cage and grabbing it from there. Maybe not, I like the looks, lol and it could not hurt.

I am thinking I could make one from alum and bolt it in place, even polish it!
Old 06-12-2005, 02:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
Feel the love
Well the one with the best stories wins ya know...

Above and beyond the Fire incedent I was a Fire and Safety Tech and one time
Almost forgot about that - when it comes to story swapping I tend to tune it out somewhat. You all can jabber about "those days" to no end! lol

We will have to Scan the Fire pics some day for everyone to Laugh at
Please, do. So far Rott is pushing the most points now for stuff - we need you to take that trophy back again
Old 06-12-2005, 03:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Todd2001SS
Here is the set up I want...

Agree it looks nice but would be difficult to grab while fighting with the safety harness - it would be easier to reach behind you than to the side (unless you have really long arms).

Track running or daily driving *everyone* should have an extinguisher within reach. We went through the engine catching fire in the middle of nowhere (70' RoadRunner) and probably would have watched it burn to the ground if we didn't have one clamped to the cage.
Old 06-12-2005, 04:08 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah, I lost a 77 Eldorado right after an engine rebuild. The mech didn't put a fuel line back on the carburator correctly and the spark plug wire ignited the fumes (or at least that's what the fire chief wrote in his report). That cost the shop 10 grand and 2 years of fighting with lawyers. But now I know first hand the value of an extinguisher.
Old 06-13-2005, 12:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

My plan is to have 2, 5lb systems in the car both with "pull" T handles. 1 for engine and fuel area and 1 for interior. Safecraft makes a very nice kit, spendy though. Like mentioned before the purpose built systems are the best to have in the car. The only thing that sucks is the cost. Safety isnt cheap. Average cost for in car systems is around 500.00.
Old 06-13-2005, 12:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

I dont have one in my car(s) I should be we dont

Quick Reply: What type of fire extinguisher is in your car