Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Twin Disk in! (Plus pics of RAM Clutch Carnage)

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 11:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Twin Disk in! (Plus pics of RAM Clutch Carnage)

Well, got the McLeod Twin Disk clutch is now installed... gotta say, Ellis you were right, this clutch feels awesome! Very grabby, and is actually easier to drive on the street than the RAM Powergrip HD I had in there before. Not to mention the pedal pressure is actually just like it was stock... much better than the leg press it was before.

Can't wait to see how it reacts at the track... gotta be better than this:

Old 07-14-2005, 12:03 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Holly **** Jason, you beat the crap out of that one real quick. I hope this new one holds up a bit longer. That can get real expensive.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Damn dude you DO go through clutchs!!! Man I'm going to be doing a clutch swap soon I'm waiting to see how those Aussie clutches last, I actually work with Australians so I maybe able to get a hookup. On the flip side the only clutch that doesn't seem to shred is the mcloed twin so that maybe the only choice.

Good luck now you have to worry about breaking stuff
Old 07-14-2005, 12:35 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 93TAWicked1
Damn dude you DO go through clutchs!!! Man I'm going to be doing a clutch swap soon I'm waiting to see how those Aussie clutches last, I actually work with Australians so I maybe able to get a hookup. On the flip side the only clutch that doesn't seem to shred is the mcloed twin so that maybe the only choice.

Good luck now you have to worry about breaking stuff
Just call me Captain Clutch Killer... and that one was after less than 1000 miles, and exactly 8 track passes.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:43 AM
Tech Addict

Crimony! I thought I was hard on equipment!
Old 07-14-2005, 12:49 AM
10 Second Club

Default Attn. Ellis

I'll PM you!!!!
Old 07-14-2005, 07:53 AM
10 Second Club

Yo Capt Clutch, that looks like !!! Well, at least all the fingers on that press plate aren't bent over....this time. Nice hole you were augering into that flywheel buddy. I think that was a big contributor to reuining this clutch so quickly. Well, that & Sardog drove it!

Is the Mcleod a 3 finger PP?
Old 07-14-2005, 09:59 AM
10 Second Club

I just drove it like it was mine

Besides jason agreed that I was not liable for any damage done to the car while i was driving.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

You'll like the way the twin disk grabs. But it is a bit of an on/off switch. They dont particularly enjoy stop and go traffic for long periods ALA "cruzin to colby". If you do that one, do 1/2 lap and park it. But you wont have to worry about that bitch slipping. Once its "on", its "on" until you tell it other wise.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by sardog46
I just drove it like it was mine

Besides jason agreed that I was not liable for any damage done to the car while i was driving.
Ain't that the truth... besides, I really doubt your one pass completely stripped the friction material off the flywheel side of the disk. That was damage over a few launches, I'm thinking.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by NataSS Inc
You'll like the way the twin disk grabs. But it is a bit of an on/off switch. They dont particularly enjoy stop and go traffic for long periods ALA "cruzin to colby". If you do that one, do 1/2 lap and park it. But you wont have to worry about that bitch slipping. Once its "on", its "on" until you tell it other wise.
It actually drives a little more tame than the Powergrip I had in there before... but when you slam the gears, man, you can feel the shock through the drivetrain, no shutter, no slippage... tires just protest by sliding all over the pavement. The clutch does bite HARD when you tell it to.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:45 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have found the 'Twin" to be one of the more drivable clutches out there. I have watched them mercily take out stock rear ends on stock cars
Old 07-15-2005, 01:00 AM
TECH Addict

I am no mechanic and I know jack about clutches but even I can see that that is one beat to $#!* clutch. I hope you can take it back and tell them after 8 passes it should hold up better than that.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:33 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
I have found the 'Twin" to be one of the more drivable clutches out there. I have watched them mercily take out stock rear ends on stock cars
I'm very surprised with how easy it is to drive... after seeing the pressure plate and disks out of the box, it looked like a damn near bulletproof and tough as nails setup. I didn't expect it to drive so nice... It's decieving because when you smash the "go" pedal and pop the clutch, the damn thing just bites and throws the car forward.

Originally Posted by howierd42
I am no mechanic and I know jack about clutches but even I can see that that is one beat to $#!* clutch. I hope you can take it back and tell them after 8 passes it should hold up better than that.
No ****... I was mad as hell it only lasted that long. But, they said it could have been the McLeod flywheel, or the fact I didn't use a shim (which isn't stated anywhere in the instructions or included with the kit), etc etc. So basically that means... no, no warranty.
Old 07-15-2005, 10:05 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
Here is a weak link after a Street Twin installation in a 440" SBC equipped C4 Corvette that runs 10s.

Old 07-15-2005, 11:42 AM
10 Second Club

Damn tj....see Jason, it COULD BE worse!
Old 07-15-2005, 06:11 PM
TECH Addict

Geez that's pure ugliness *Hey what was that noise ?!*
Old 07-16-2005, 10:42 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Racehead
Geez that's pure ugliness *Hey what was that noise ?!*
Actually it didn't make hardly any noise when it broke. I was standing directly behind the car when it happened in the staging lane. As the last yellow lit up, I saw the car kinda "squat" and made a clunk noise, then she just sorta rolled away and peices dropped out from under it and a splash of oil which incidentally the track clean up boys didn't appreciate much.
Old 07-16-2005, 11:17 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by tjwong
Actually it didn't make hardly any noise when it broke. I was standing directly behind the car when it happened in the staging lane. As the last yellow lit up, I saw the car kinda "squat" and made a clunk noise, then she just sorta rolled away and peices dropped out from under it and a splash of oil which incidentally the track clean up boys didn't appreciate much.

Can't tell from the pic... is it a D44 (manual car) or D36 (auto car) that busted?
Old 07-19-2005, 12:01 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by CHarris
Can't tell from the pic... is it a D44 (manual car) or D36 (auto car) that busted?

D44 M6 car. Now its got a full on Cryo treated D44 with upgraded half shafts and other goodies. But he is still gun shy about hitting it off the line hard. He gets a lousy 60ft time but he gets a damn good mph on the other end and still tips 10.60s. It is just a fun car for him so winning isn't a big deal for him as long as he gets to thrash it from time to time.