Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Welding cast aluminum?

Old 08-09-2006, 04:24 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Welding cast aluminum?

I'm really in a jam here. The alternator is toast in my beater rig and the clutch MC went out in the bird and I'd like to fix it the right way. No more bandaids. Does anyone know of a persion/business/monkey that can weld cast aluminum? I've got a tilton master cylinder that has a standard flatface flange on the front and I need that cut off and a flange matching the stock fbody master cylinder welded on. Most every shop I've been to around here looks at me funny. I know I'll have to have the MC sleeved and I'm cool with paying for that as well. I've been recommended a shop on river road that can do it for $60.

The hole in my firewall for the bandaid adapter bracket is cracking and not letting me engage the clutch all the way. *GRIND*

Anyone able to suggest anything?
Old 08-09-2006, 10:36 AM
TECH Addict

Check out your local machine shops, I think anyone with some talent and a TIG welder can do that. I had a bung welded on to one of my cast aluminum charge tubes at some specialty metal shop in Lake City, forget the name, and my friend was the one who took it there and stuff. That cost me $35 which I wasn't too happy with, so $60 dosnt seem to bad for what you want done.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:43 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the suggestion. I called a few places today and mostly got the run around. The machine shop I had some brake fab work done at can't do aluminum and two of the three "welders" I looked up in the phone book didn't have time to do something so small and the third said it would be a stupid amount of money to have to it. The guy said that because it was around brake fluid you'd have to weld it two or three times and something about not being able to weld aluminum as well (that part I know....) and said it'd be close to $400....

Yeah.... Right.... OKay. Just tell me you don't want to do it and I'll be fine with that. Geesh.
Old 08-10-2006, 04:20 AM
10 Second Club

clean the crap out of it with a new stainless steel brush or wire wheel, then bring it into a welding shop directly and show them the peice. an place with an AC tig machine and someone who knows how to use it can weld it.
Old 08-12-2006, 06:26 PM
Banned

how far away are you from oak harbor, wa???
Old 08-12-2006, 07:10 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We use Larry at Sta-Weld in redmond
Old 08-12-2006, 09:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by michaelsvt03
how far away are you from oak harbor, wa???
Hey jew what happened with your motor? You suing those guys?

Back on topic, if you're near Oak Harbor Mikey can hook you up for probably next to nothing. I'm sure if you buy him a six pack he'll do it

Nate
Old 08-13-2006, 10:58 AM
TECH Regular

Now I've heard of Oak Harbor but never known exactly where it is... Although I'm always up for a little road trip.
Old 08-13-2006, 04:52 PM
Banned

yup, i am going to talk to a lawyer tomorrow. and also i am going to try to do a chargeback for the final payment of 2800.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Welding cast aluminum?