Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Clay/Polishing/Glazing/Sealing A C6 ??????

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 08:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Clay/Polishing/Glazing/Sealing A C6 ??????

First off its not mine Its my sisters She has been buggin me to wax it. But I have been to busy at work to get'er done. She kind of messed up the paint when she first got it, think she used Dawn dishwashing detergent after not washing it for some time so it has lots of swirls. "The car is Blue BTW". Does anyone know of a good place/person to take it to that does good work?

I have been kicking around the idea of getting the Menzerna kit with the Porter Cable D/A and hitting it hard but I dont want to screw up the paint any more than it is.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

The Dawn dishsoap did not hurt the paint. It will only strip the wax off. Therefore, she must have swirled the dirt around on the paint. That would have happened from a shoddy rinse job and not washing from top to bottom. The best place that I would recommend for a detail job is Park Place Ltd in Bellevue. Will cost $300 for a top of the line job from them.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what does she look like? I might do it for here...
Old 04-05-2007, 12:01 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by My1st Truck
what does she look like? I might do it for here...
She's about 4'9 90lbs, redhead with a bad attitude
Old 04-05-2007, 12:06 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ram-it
The Dawn dishsoap did not hurt the paint. It will only strip the wax off. Therefore, she must have swirled the dirt around on the paint. That would have happened from a shoddy rinse job and not washing from top to bottom. The best place that I would recommend for a detail job is Park Place Ltd in Bellevue. Will cost $300 for a top of the line job from them.
Thanks for the recomendation, they have some nice cars on that lot. I'll check it out!
Old 04-05-2007, 12:06 AM
On The Tree

Default Try Clay first

I would go get some clay and some paper towels and a box of microfine .... find a panel and go for it ... there are plenty of posts about how to rub clay. Try that b4 you get a machine on it, finish with any wax you are willing to buff out. I am a Zimol polish person. There are many religions around wax and polish so we will not start that here.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wws699
First off its not mine Its my sisters She has been buggin me to wax it. But I have been to busy at work to get'er done. She kind of messed up the paint when she first got it, think she used Dawn dishwashing detergent after not washing it for some time so it has lots of swirls. "The car is Blue BTW". Does anyone know of a good place/person to take it to that does good work?

I have been kicking around the idea of getting the Menzerna kit with the Porter Cable D/A and hitting it hard but I dont want to screw up the paint any more than it is.
First off, Dawn Dishwashing Liquid is for DISHES, not cars! I know that is all the rage with everyone out there, but it WILL damage your finish, especially a new finish. New paint/clearcoat is soft and dishwashing liquid (even Dawn) has abrasives in it to help clean. This will swirl up a new finish very quickly and it can also discolor the clear coat with too many repeated usages.
The best thing for taking off old wax is either P21S or Pinnalce Paintwork Cleanser, or if you don't want to spend the money of that, try Bug and Tar Remover. They are all clearcoat safe.
Park Place Ltd. does have a very good Detail Shop. They are pricer than most, but they understand the different finishes on cars and if it is a new C6, it is worth the extra $$$ to take it in to them.
As far as waxing goes, you shuold be able to do that, but I would go with a carnuba wax for a first time sealer than anything that is a polymer-based sealant (i.e. NXT Tech Wax, etc.). Also, The Menzerna Kit with the Porter Cable 7424 Buffer is a GREAT car care system for the weekend warrior who wants to maximize the look on thier rides. The buffer is a dual-action, random orbital buffer that will not generate heat on the surface of the finish and won't burn through the finish.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:45 AM
TECH Veteran

Iden's Detailing has 4 locations does a fantastic job. Been taking the DD's there for 13 years - they have gotten every swirl and web mark out of Black and metallic dark Blue (Vibe, it ain't MNB) then sealed up with a good, hard wax. They claybar first then detail the crap outta it, do wetsanding and all for around $140 or less if you drop a name

Had them do the Camaro the first year to keep it sealed and that paint is still flawless, highly recommend them.

Oh, they take out door dings for a lil' more but not much, worth asking when you call for an appointment. They have had contract with Accura of Bellevue for 15 years and do all high end imports and domestics, just adds to what kind of paint they deal with daily.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

She's about 4'9 90lbs, redhead with a bad attitude
Damn that sounds about right .. ya that sux she did that to the car. get that thing alll pretty and tell her when i get back from IRAQ i will take it out!!
Old 04-05-2007, 05:29 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by B-RAD2
Damn that sounds about right .. ya that sux she did that to the car. get that thing alll pretty and tell her when i get back from IRAQ i will take it out!!
I've been trying to get her to leave it with me for a week. She keeps saying something about being born at night but not last night.

Stay safe over there bro!
Old 04-05-2007, 10:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dawn dishsoap did not cause swirl marks in your paint. I have used it myself when I run out of my car soap. Trust me, I am one of the most **** people around here about my car and have been through detailing clincs at Park Place. FYI, contact them for the one coming up soon. The swirls came from contaminents in her sponge. This is the only way the kind of damage described could have happened. A clay bar is not going to help. You will need a polish job that will cut the clear coat down to eliminate the swirls. Good luck but don't try it yourself.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:05 PM
Tech Addict

I am one of the most **** people around here about my car
There's the understatement of the century!

He could do it, my car looked horrible with spiderwebbing and swirl marks galore when I got it. A weekend with the menzerna twins and it looked awesome! It was a lot of work and big learning curve. 300 is pretty cheap when I look back and think about it. I bet I spent more than that on the polisher, polish, wax, pads, mf towels and all the other hooplah to to do it right.
Old 04-06-2007, 01:13 AM
Teching In

I do detailing on the side besides the AF. PM me for info. I give great deals to people from the forums.
Old 04-06-2007, 01:29 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Rokko
There's the understatement of the century!

He could do it, my car looked horrible with spiderwebbing and swirl marks galore when I got it. A weekend with the menzerna twins and it looked awesome! It was a lot of work and big learning curve. 300 is pretty cheap when I look back and think about it. I bet I spent more than that on the polisher, polish, wax, pads, mf towels and all the other hooplah to to do it right.
I agree 300 is pretty cheap to have Park Place Ltd do it. Menzerna has a kit for 300 bucks, you get the PC, Clay, polish, Glaze, wax, pads, And MF towles. So now I have to make the decision. I'll pobably just take her car to Park Place and get the kit for myself and learn on my own car.

I actually use Dawn on my car before I Wax, never had a problem with it. I have never washed it with dawn and then "Not" waxed it afterwords. I think thats probably what she did wrong, she may have even washed it repeatedly with dawn over a period of time.
Old 04-06-2007, 01:41 AM
11 Second Club

Trust me, I am one of the most **** people around here about my car and have been through detailing clincs at Park Place. FYI, contact them for the one coming up soon.
I might just do that thanks for the heads up!
Old 04-06-2007, 09:23 AM
Tech Addict

I agree 300 is pretty cheap to have Park Place Ltd do it. Menzerna has a kit for 300 bucks, you get the PC, Clay, polish, Glaze, wax, pads, And MF towles. So now I have to make the decision. I'll pobably just take her car to Park Place and get the kit for myself and learn on my own car.

I actually use Dawn on my car before I Wax, never had a problem with it. I have never washed it with dawn and then "Not" waxed it afterwords. I think thats probably what she did wrong, she may have even washed it repeatedly with dawn over a period of time.
I don't think the Dawn did it either, unless like you said, it was used repeatedly. It's what everybody says to use as the first step for claybar, polish, glaze, wax process.

Post up the info about the Park Place detail seminar. I'd like to attend.

Quick Reply: Clay/Polishing/Glazing/Sealing A C6 ??????