Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

do you put your car on a trailer?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 01:30 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default do you put your car on a trailer?

I'm considering a trailer for bringing my vette to the track. I'm curious what others are using, and what you like/dont like about them. There's open/enclosed, and tilt etc. I wonder about clearance problems, because I scrape going into my driveway, that isn't very steep! Also how much have you invested in the trailer. I found a 30 year old beater enclosed trailer for 1500, I wonder if it would serve the purpose.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:37 PM
TECH Addict

For a track trailer I would say an open would be the better choice. Easier to get in and out of the car.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:48 PM
Launching!

Yeah good point, I wonder what's the chance of finding an open trailer in this price range?
Old 04-12-2007, 02:32 PM
Launching!

If you trailer your car to the track it's a racecar no matter how slow it is. A slow racecar is sad.
Old 04-12-2007, 02:35 PM
Launching!

...to add something constructive...

If you know anybody down South in Texas, Oklahoma, etc. trailers go for about 1/5 of what they go for up here. When i was moving cross country in 2002, I bought a twin axle/dove tailed car hauler for $945 in Mississippi and sold it for $1500 when I got to AZ. I sold it because I have a street car.
Old 04-12-2007, 02:47 PM
12 Second Club

I tow my street car to the track so I can make money towing broken Mustangs home. No I like to bring tools, floor jack and slicks with me. I use to crame all that stuff in a C4 vette not fun. It's nice to have the piece of mind if you OR your buddy's break down every one can still make it home. I have a tilt open trailer and I can load my Vette up without scraping.
Old 04-12-2007, 03:20 PM
Launching!

Yeah its not so much that I can't drive it there, but if towed the family can ride together to/from the track. Also the convenience of bringing a bunch of crap! Also taking it to the shop and not needing a ride home...

What kind of tilt trailer do you have and where'd you get it?

Thanks
Old 04-12-2007, 03:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Texas Rollback.

They're not cheap, but worth the money. Mark has one.

Unfortunately I've had to use it, and it was much easier to load up onto then the other trailers it's been loaded on when other junk broke. hehe.

I was thinking about trailers all day today on the commute for the upcoming season.

The convenience of setting the car up at home and having a truck bed full of tools / spare parts and the security of having a tow rig in case something breaks is too great not to have. I just need to find a place to park it.

I've been driving my car to the track for a few years now, while it's cool to say you drive your car to the track it's a major PITA when something gives out. The nature of racing is abuse on the car, and with enough abuse you're eventually going to run into problems as I've experienced many times.

It's a bunch of BS to say trailering a car to the track is sad regardless of speed. I think it's smart and real easy to eat your words when you snap something in the driveline having looking for a ride home.

I'm confident more people would trailer their vehicles if it weren't so expensive to buy a tow rig / trailer and store it.

Last edited by Tylerb59; 04-12-2007 at 03:38 PM.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:27 PM
12 Second Club

He's rite a Texas Rollback. I got it at Freeway trailers in Fife for around $3700.00 in 2002. I'm sure there a little more now but I love the trailer.
Old 04-12-2007, 05:08 PM
10 Second Club

I have a Texas Rollback & LOVE it! You can load a car with 2" of clearance and they tow straight & true. They aint cheap (~$4k) but they are nice. And like others said, it's nice being able to bring the family AND tools, a cooler, a canopy, etc. Not to mention the piece of mind if something does break, and it will eventually. I think it's around $400 for a tow home from the track!

Plus having the car setup & ready to go when you get there is a definite plus. I hate the hassle of having to change tires, adjust shocks, bla bla bla while others have already teched in & are headed into staging lanes.
Old 04-12-2007, 05:50 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll vouch for Marks trailer. My car's been on it. Was very easy to load.
Old 04-12-2007, 06:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ditto on Mark's trailer.

This is a timely topic as I am considering the same purchase. However, I live much closer and equi distance between the two tracks, so towing is about $150. I also have a truck ready to tow and a list of trailer rental places for the Frau if I break. The problem is breaking at night after business hours...
Old 04-12-2007, 06:42 PM
Launching!

LoL that's too funny all these people have been on Marks's trailer.

I bet it's nice, and must have a good winch too for pulling the broke *** cars up on it.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trailers are for sissies.
Robert

Except when you break, then it's not so bad. Yes I have been also on Mark's trailer, allmost twice.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:59 PM
On The Tree

Well, I drive my car to most shows and drags except the ones out of State.
Since I don't want to take the chance of my car getting stolen I bought a 48' Tri Axle car hauler with 22' of living space. (don't have to worry about motel reservations) The Car hauling area has 26 foot of garage which allows me a twenty foot space for the car and six feet for tools and storage for my display stantions and display floor.
Since the whole rig is 16000 lbs loaded, I tow it with a new Chebby 3500 Duramax Diesel which seems to be enough.
Doesn't seem to lend it's self to your application but it's how I've got my situation worked out.

DT
Attached Thumbnails do you put your car on a trailer?-t2w.jpg  
Old 04-13-2007, 12:41 AM
TECH Addict

I think the only reason my car has not been on Mark's trailer yet is because I don't think he had it yet the last time mine broke (when the Yank imploded).

But I have seen a number of cars on it and it is a nice piece of work. If I had the money, I would probably do a set up just like his.
Old 04-13-2007, 06:24 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by dogtag
I bought a 48' Tri Axle car hauler with 22' of living space...
Wow that is seriously awesome!!! Yeah I'm wondering where I'm going to keep a 20 footer...
Old 04-13-2007, 09:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ditto on the Texas rollback trailer. I towed to Nevada and back with one at up to 85-90 mph and it towes like it's not there. Loading an extremely low or broken car in a no hassle operation too !

Somebody write down the name of the "trailers are sad" guy so we can properly mock him when it's his turn for the " broke down express" haha ! j/k!
Old 04-13-2007, 09:55 AM
TECH Regular

I'd like to tow mine because it's 3 hrs to the track and besides being a PITA to drive this thing all the way there and back, it eats up the Hoosiers too fast.
Old 04-13-2007, 09:56 AM
Launching!

It happens. I burned up about an inch of ringland on #8 one time at Firebird in Phoenix. I drove the car home 275 miles back to Havasu. I had to stop every 50 miles and add a quart of oil though. I am not saying trailers aren't great for that one time you break or someone else does if you are a nice enough guy to tow them home. If it's on a trailer it's a race car though. Make no mistake.

Maybe it's just because I am used to mostly seeing 8.xx and faster cars on the trailer. Hard not to laugh when you see a queen come off the trailer and then watch it run an 11.xx. Carry on.

Quick Reply: do you put your car on a trailer?