Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Some advice ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 05:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some advice ?

I just had 3.73's installed and while the shift points seem great, I have a question about the rev limiter.
I had TJ Wong do a tune on it a bit back and he redid my shift pressures and firmness etc but I had him set the rev limiter to 6200.
I am FINALLY goin to take it to the drags this next week, 24-26th.. I have been talking about it and itching to see what it will do.
I have a mild cam, TJ said it was the LS6 version by Comp. 918 Comp springs, Ti Retainers, Comp hardened push rods ( I actually listened to Ellis on this stuff, wish I had about the cam ) SO anyhow, I listed all that to ask this... Is it safe to have the rev extended abit ? or is it even worth it. I really wish I could chat with one of you guys that has some experience, I have none (about 1/4 mi stuff) How to get traction etc etc, I took a week of vacation so dammit I am going ! If anyone is going down I would love to meet up so I could chat / etc .
Thanks for reading.
Doug ~
Old 05-19-2007, 05:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your post is a little unclear, but if your question is whether or not it's safe to rev it to 6200, don't worry about it. Especially with the 918 springs. Those springs will add some stability to your valvetrain. With the gears, and cam you'll want the extended rpm. What cam are you using, an LS6 cam? If so, that's a very small cam.
Old 05-19-2007, 06:29 PM
On The Tree

Ah, sorry, I just have so many questions in my head, didn't mean to be obtuse. I have it at 6,200 now and was wondering if there would be any benefit to having it extended a few hundred before I try the 1/4. TJ said it was still developing power up to 6,600 or so, but would the extra few horses warrant the risk, if any at the higher rpms ?
I tried to be less rambling, sorry ! and Thanks
Old 05-20-2007, 12:09 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Your springs should be good to 6,600. I have the Rev limiter set on at 6,900 on One of the Zo6 car's I play with. the onwer is very happy...but still tapping the limiter
Old 05-20-2007, 01:18 AM
On The Tree

Thanks Ellis. So I will go with the thought that I can/should extend the limit.. anyone have a handheld that can do that ? Or do I need to do the whole (yikes) Tune thing again.. If thats the case. its gonna have to wait
Be happy to pay someone a little something if it can be done with a handheld
Old 05-20-2007, 01:14 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

No we can just tune the transmission parts

Talk to Tom and he can shoot me a file to load for you.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:14 PM
10 Second Club

As Ellis sys, the valve train is safe to go that high. The real question is does the car make power up there? If it does then you can pick up a tenth or so by extending your shift points. If not then all you are doing is torturing the parts. You can test it on a dyno or the track. You will probably top out in 3rd gear in the lights with those gears...
Old 05-21-2007, 11:37 AM
On The Tree

If I could figure out how to post a pic, I think I have my dyno results from TJ's laying about somewhere. He said I was making power all the way to 6600 if I remember correctly. He did ask me three times about whether I wanted to extend the shift range, but at that time I didn't think I was going to the track at all. It was just lately my wife said that she would rather have me at the track then street race - So I am going !!! Thanks for the advice and help
Ellis - when you said ask Tom. Is that TJ Wong ? Or someone else, I am somewhat of a hermit, due to work, I don't know many first names here, altho I hope that will change ! I have all this week off so I can get to just about anywhere, and would love to heh as it gives me a reason to drive !

Quick Reply: Some advice ?