Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Let's Talk Pistols.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 04:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Let's Talk Pistols.....

Any gun freaks in here?

I used to be into guns/firearms in my younger days, and I'm thinking about picking up a semi-auto DA 9mm. I've really wanted a Sig Sauer for a long time and I've always heard they were super reliable. Has anyone had experience with a P229r, or other model Sigs? This will be used for occasional recreational use (500 rounds a year or so). Also seriously considering a concealed weapons permit in the future.

I'm looking to buy used at around $400-550.00 range. Are there any other guns I should consider? I like the quality and reliability of the Glocks, but they don't really fit my hand as well as the Sigs.

Mike
Old 06-06-2007, 04:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Huge gun nut here....have approx 20-25 handguns/rifles/shotguns currently and I have to ask, are you sold on a 9mm and WHY???

That being said, I am happy to offer info/advice on selections as best I can. Shot a few during my career and even more in my lifelong collecting frenzy.

That being said, Sigs are phenomenal weapons but I HIGHLY oppose 9mm if you are EVER thinking about carrying it or using it for self/home defense. Glock, Sig, Beretta, Springfield & others make some great weapons and once you decide what you are going to do with it for sure, we can narrow it down.

Bottom line is you need to get to a range that rents guns and shoot as many as you can to find what works best for you and what feels best to you. If you are not comfortable shooting it, you cannot rely on it for defense!!!
Old 06-06-2007, 05:25 PM
11 Second Club

LOL,,,, I'm not looking for a gun to put a hole in someone, so home defense is really a secondary reason for the gun. I'm looking at the 9mm round simply because it's a cheap round to shoot, readily available anywhere and comes in so many different bullet configurations. If it becomes too expensive to shoot, it won't ever get used and becomes more of an ornament than a hobby.

My cousin actually mentioned CZ, because he has shot/owned quite a few with great success but I've never even held one of their handguns. I'll have to look up some ranges here locally and see if any of them rent handguns. I really do like the way the Sig fits in my hand though.

Which Sigs have you shot before?

Mike
Old 06-06-2007, 05:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Glock 17 (9mm) and a S&W M10 frame .38 revolver, both of which I use for target practice... 9mm is a good round for shooting, since it's cheap and plentiful. .38 special is also a very cheap round to use... Stopping power isn't great, but it'll do the job. Especially if you buy some Hyrdrashok rounds for home defense purposes... I put Hydrashoks in the gun when it's at home, and regular ammo when I'm at the range.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:51 PM
TECH Addict

I am currently undecided between a Glock 38 (.45 GAP) and Springfield Armory XD Compact (.45 ACP, they don't make the compact in .45 GAP ) Have you shot either Darrin?
Old 06-06-2007, 05:55 PM
On The Tree

Springfield XD45 here for protection (CPL). .22 for lots of shooting.

I know you are in Vancouver but The Marksman in Puyallup has a nice indoor range and they rent all kinds of handguns to try out.

http://www.wildwestguns.net/

Old 06-06-2007, 06:06 PM
FormerVendor

Mikey I carry a Sig P228 in 9mm. It is by far one of the best made weapons out there. Granted some would prefer a 40 cal or the SIG 357 but the old 9mn loaded with Silver tips or other hollow point style ammo will put most any bad guy down provided you place the bullets in the right place.

If you are over this way some time, feel free to stop by. I usually have it with me, and I also have a P226 as well that is the longer version. I also have a HK USP in 45 that makes a very good defense weapon but is a large frame pistol. My favorites are the venerable+ 1911 in 45, I also have a custom made STI frame in high capacity 10mm that is necked down to 9mm. It sends them 125g hollow points out of the barrel at a scalding 1700+ FPS. Its hotter than most 41 mags and even 44 mags. You should see that round shatter cinder blocks and lava rocks
Old 06-06-2007, 06:09 PM
On The Tree

Go with a Colt Combat Commander and never look back!!!
Old 06-06-2007, 06:26 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by tjwong
Mikey I carry a Sig P228 in 9mm. It is by far one of the best made weapons out there. Granted some would prefer a 40 cal or the SIG 357 but the old 9mn loaded with Silver tips or other hollow point style ammo will put most any bad guy down provided you place the bullets in the right place.

If you are over this way some time, feel free to stop by. I usually have it with me, and I also have a P226 as well that is the longer version. I also have a HK USP in 45 that makes a very good defense weapon but is a large frame pistol. My favorites are the venerable+ 1911 in 45, I also have a custom made STI frame in high capacity 10mm that is necked down to 9mm. It sends them 125g hollow points out of the barrel at a scalding 1700+ FPS. Its hotter than most 41 mags and even 44 mags. You should see that round shatter cinder blocks and lava rocks
Hey Tom, I might just stop by sometime this week and take a look at that P228. That is a discontinued model if I'm not mistaken? My cousin is a huge 1911 fan, and probably has around 10 of them at any given time, along with multiple spare slides, barrels, grips, sites etc.. You up for a "range day" sometime? I'll buy the ammo.

Mike
Old 06-06-2007, 06:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I agree with Rott, you need to shoot as many as you can and find the one that fits you best. I have shot the P228 and the CZ, out of those 2 the CZ was more comfortable for me, my shooting buddy liked the Sig better. Both of them are quality guns and you would be happy with either.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:47 PM
On The Tree

What ever you buy you better buy a lot ammo, that **** is sky rocketing!!! Last year 45 auto $8.50 box of 50 fmj, now $14.00 and rising!
Old 06-06-2007, 09:27 PM
Teching In

I've got a Sig P239 in .40/357 Sig. I bought it just after they came out with the model. I've got medium sized hands which fit well with the single-stack mag. But if it won't be carried often, then it may be a little small for plinking. I used to have a P230 (.380) that I wish I still had. I bought it just as the P232 was coming out. I sort of miss shooting it although I needed a Hogue grip to keep the slide from biting my hand. The first semi-auto I shot was a P220 .45. A friend has a P229 that was a police trade-in. He likes it, as do I, but I noticed that his first shot was always more accurate than his subsequent shots. I recommended that he look into a dual action-only gun. Most people will be off on the first, full, pull while doing better with the single action shots. For some reason he's the other way around.
When I got mine, I also tried out the HK's. They seemed rather similar. I tried the HK Compact .45 when it came out, but it was too much for me.
I'm not a natural shooter, and when I was more into guns, I would shoot once a week. One gun that I enjoyed was the HKP7 "squeeze cocker". It felt more natural. The range I was a member at had one in their rental case. As a member, I could shoot anything in their case as long as I put their ammo through it. The downside with the P7 was the way it would heat up after around 10-20 rounds had been shot through it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heckler_&_Koch_P7
It's hard to go wrong with a Sig. just get something you're comfortable shooting and go with that. To save money, you could look into getting a .22 for the majority of your plinking and then put some rounds through your other gun. Sig does have the Mosquito which is 90% of the size of a 226. The downside is that they're around $400 or so.
Most gun ranges will have a selection of guns to choose from. Usually you can pay to try one gun for one price, or for more money you can have use of whatever they have in the case. They will likely require that you use their ammo though, so switching calibers gets more expensive.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:19 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Poik
I am currently undecided between a Glock 38 (.45 GAP)
I've actually shot that gun many times, it's a nice piece.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:38 PM
TECH Junkie

i love 1911s BEAUTIFUL guns i dont own any but ive shot many a pistols.. .357s are fun
Old 06-06-2007, 10:47 PM
On The Tree

Most of the guys are pretty well informed. It really does matter what you want it for.
Myself,
I spend alot of time in the woods servicing communications equipment on out of the way mountain tops so I have come across a wide range of nasty critters such as bear and cougar.
I Have a CWP and carry a Tarus .454 for protection in the woods and a
Para Ordinance .45 at other times.
In the summer, I carry a .38 special revolver in a fanny pack for personal protection.

Below is my .454 shown along with my .45.
The rounds are compared to a .22 LR.
I'm shooting a load in the .454 that uses a 300 grain slug at 1725fps.
The .45 uses standard apc.

If you really want some plinking power, try one of these. (check the video clips) http://airbornecombatengineer.typepa...600_nitro.html
DT
Attached Thumbnails Let's Talk Pistols.....-picture-1699.jpg  
Old 06-06-2007, 10:59 PM
TECH Junkie

my cuz has one of those para ordinance warthogs and i cant imagine shooting off a .45 from that tiny gun! i want one!
Old 06-07-2007, 12:23 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by dogtag
I'm shooting a load in the .454 that uses a 300 grain slug at 1725fps.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:03 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Mikey 97Z M6
Hey Tom, I might just stop by sometime this week and take a look at that P228. That is a discontinued model if I'm not mistaken? My cousin is a huge 1911 fan, and probably has around 10 of them at any given time, along with multiple spare slides, barrels, grips, sites etc.. You up for a "range day" sometime? I'll buy the ammo.

Mike
Hi Mike, one of these days we need to go out and shoot'em up. One of my customers and friend now is a range officer for Clark County Sheriffs department. He is always inviting me out to shoot. So maybe one of these weekends when he is at the range we can go and use the range with him. Its low key with the other cops so its not a big deal. Most of the time we have the range to ourselves. You can try the P228 I have or the larger P226. I have a few 45s you can try as well if you like or various revolvers. Years ago I was a very active competitive shooter competing in IPSC matches here in Portland and at Tri-County gun club in Sherwood.

I love 1911s as well. I have several variants, a few stockers and several custom variants. One of which is that 10mm which is necked down to a 9mm. Its a wildcat caliber thats called a 9x25, very hard hitting when loaded with 125gr 9mm bullets backed up with 18 grains of powder!
Old 06-07-2007, 01:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If you're looking for a low cost fun gun, don't overlook the Czech and Russian designs. Ammo for them is really inexpensive. Makarov and Tokarov both make great plinkers.

Myself, I use an M1911. It wasn't "my" first choice, but since I wanted the wife to be comfortable with using it as well I took her to a number of ranges and let her try every weapon I'd consider. Factoring in recoil and grip size she narrowed the list down to a final two of the current and previous military models. The Baretta is a sweet weapon, but the high capacity magazine meant the grip was too large to be comfortable for her. So, with very manageable recoil and a reasonably compact grip, plus great stopping power, the good 'ole M1911 won out. I was worried about the limited magazine capacity at first, but a few trips to the range with it and now I am fully confident that 7 rounds will be more than enough for her to put an intruder down for good.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:01 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks for all the tips, suggestions from everyone. I'm going to take up the idea of shooting some different guns etc., and see what works out. Once I commit to a gun, I'll post up some pics.

Dogtag, that .454 is one big *****!

Mike

Quick Reply: Let's Talk Pistols.....