Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

non ls1 help front wheel drive clunking

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 09:22 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default non ls1 help front wheel drive clunking

My Kia beater has a clunk some times in the front end when I'm driving it. Sounds like a wheel or something. ? maybe a drive axle? how do you check that and raplace it?
Old 06-22-2007, 10:27 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, sounds like you need to replace w/e it is in the front axle that is worn out. A buddy of mine used to hammer on his POS honda and he'd constantly break his front axle (I guess they call it a CV joint?) and also screw up w/e it is in that boot that connects everything together and it would make the clunk sound you're hearing (especially when turning). It's no big deal to replace either, those honda morons would snap the joints like candy in all of their front wheel drive blunders.

So..yeah.. if that answers it.. I know what it is but have no idea what it's called. Sorry!
Old 06-22-2007, 11:52 AM
10 Second Club

Check the motor mounts.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:15 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm gonna say CV joint... especially if it gets louder when you turn. It's not the axle, it's the piece that connects the axle to the wheel. Very typical issue in a FWD car with a lot of miles.
Old 06-22-2007, 10:54 PM
TECH Addict

CV joint +1.

My Eldorados were FWD and my mechanic warned me about that sound. (Uber expensive on the Caddys, probably not so on a Kia.)
Old 06-23-2007, 03:12 AM
TECH Regular

Yeah, they are right, it's your CV Joint (not axle as I mentioned above--wrong choice of words) Like I said though, its an easy fix for the most part.
Old 06-23-2007, 08:47 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

damn it now thats two things I have to fix on it. Loss all my cooling fluid either through a broken hose or head gasket and suspect the hose over the gasket as it runs fine unitl it gets hot.... car only gets driven about 3 miles at a time. Just the runabout car. How long can I go before its real issue on the cv joint? Whats the worse that could happen with it? I know nothing about FWD's. IT clunks when turning but not going straight.
Old 06-23-2007, 12:38 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
damn it now thats two things I have to fix on it. Loss all my cooling fluid either through a broken hose or head gasket and suspect the hose over the gasket as it runs fine unitl it gets hot.... car only gets driven about 3 miles at a time. Just the runabout car. How long can I go before its real issue on the cv joint? Whats the worse that could happen with it? I know nothing about FWD's. IT clunks when turning but not going straight.
Definitely a CV joint then... the worst than can happen is that it will break and you won't be able to drive the car at all because the axle will be flopping around all over the place inside there, or it could sieze and make it so you can't steer. Not something I'd recommend letting go for a long period of time.

Here.... read up on how they work. Then you can decide whether you want to let it go or not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constant_velocity_joint
Old 06-25-2007, 08:48 AM
11 Second Club

CV joints are not really that hard to replace either.

Quick Reply: non ls1 help front wheel drive clunking