Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Where can I get pepper spray?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 03:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
My wife has concerns as well working late in downtown Portland and doesnt want a gun. I've tried to talk her into a gun but she wont go for it. She didbnt want a tsser or stun gun either, which I though might be kind of fun. SO>>>

She wants mace which they dont sell correct? Where can I get that stuff
O.C. Oleoresin Caspium IIRRC, whos' got rhe most OC in it?

Fox is 2%
"The Wildfire 18% formula is one of the hottest, and more importantly, the fastest reacting spray in the market.

There are so many choices.. how do you know whats what?

what do you think about this stuff Rott you were a cop, is this stuff for real?
http://www.tbotech.com/police-pepper-spray.htm
Fox is 5.3mil SHU, while the other stuff you linked is only 3mil. So, as I noted above, I would suggest you look at the Fox Labs stuff. There have also been a couple of links posted where you can purchase.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Great topic and information.

I've been wanting to set Lisa up with some mace, and her sister ... and my sister, etc.

With the most recent abduction / murder in Kansas, I can't stand the thought of them being along without aid.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:54 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fulton 1
Fox is 5.3mil SHU, while the other stuff you linked is only 3mil. So, as I noted above, I would suggest you look at the Fox Labs stuff. There have also been a couple of links posted where you can purchase.
Thats where its confusing and why I am asking. whats the difference between
18% pepper spray and 3 million scoville heat units

and

5.3 million SHU product in a 2% solution

Not sure how to decipher that info but to me it look like one has more concentratin of pepper while the other has a hotter pepper but a lesser concentration of it.

Which is more effective? 16% more of 3 million SHU or the highr concentration of SHU but in more dilluted form?
Old 06-25-2007, 06:44 PM
TECH Veteran

OC is one of the most easily mis-advertised stuff when it comes to potency. People see that 18% and get all excited, but don't read the fine print and sometimes that can be deadly. The percentage is not the important number here. The link you had Blanco, it looks more like something used for large crowd control, rather then something a lady could reasonably carry in her purse......although I have known a few with HUGE purses, but that is another thread.

The stuff we carried (LEO only IIRC) was some gnarly stuff that incapacitated me for a good 20 minutes....of course, more often then not, the bad guys don't react nearly as harshly as the good guys do.

That being said, I would inquire at a local gun store or somewhere that specializes in self defense items. You might even be able to obtain similar or the same stuff that local cops use. That Wildfire stuff looks like it is using scare tactics and bigger numbers to attract buyers.

I can email my old partner and ask what brand/percentage/shu we used and see what he says if you want.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:58 PM
Banned

Sure any more info you can provide is helpful here. What about the Fox stuff? I just want what is most effective. It'll be a personal size for her to carry.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
Sure any more info you can provide is helpful here. What about the Fox stuff? I just want what is most effective. It'll be a personal size for her to carry.
I will fire off an email and see what I get back.

I did find this to read if anyone is interested:

Pepper Spray Concentration

Confusion abounds concerning the efficacy of various pepper (oleoresin capsicum "OC") sprays because of the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission's labeling system. Often a consumer of civilian OC defense spray will see "5%" or "10%" pepper spray claims on a canister. Unfortunately, these percentages do not correlate with efficacy because they only measure the percentage of OC relative to the other ingredients in the canister. These other ingredients include the carrier for the OC, a propellant, and often marking dyes or other chemicals. An over-the-counter "10%" spray contains 10% Oleoresin Capsicum relative to the rest of the ingredients. What the OC concentration does not measure is the concentration of the active ingredients (Capsaicin) in the OC formulation. OC concentration therefore, only represents the amount of OC (oily resin) in a canister and not its strength. The heat or strength of OC is measured by the quantity of an active ingredient called Capsaicin*. Therefore, the higher the Capsaicin amount, the hotter the OC. * Capsaicin is the ingredient within the OC that causes inflammation of mucous membranes. The reason some peppers are hotter than others is due to the amount of capsaicin. Capsaicin percentage changes depending on the pepper species, geographical origin and climatic growth conditions as well as upon oleoresin extraction and formulation processes. For example an OC spray with 5.5% concentration can be 5 times hotter than one with 10% OC concentration.

A As disclosed to California Department of Justice and printed on the canister. Tested via HPLC method.

B As disclosed to California Dept. of Justice and independent laboratory test results. Tested via HPLC method.

SHU Scoville Heat Units

Laboratory Testing for Heat of Capsicum Peppers

A misconception exists that the heat of a pepper spray is best demonstrated through Scoville Heat Units (SHU). SHU testing is none other than "tongue" tasting of the OC by a panel of 5 individuals. SHU therefore depends on the subjective taste experience of the panel. The SHU test is not accurate since it depends on the individual taste sensitivity which changes from person to person and does not measure the actual chemical percentage within the product. SHU test is an appropriate test for the food spice community, however it cannot serve as the standard for OC weaponry, where an officer depends on the OC's consistent and reliable performance.Therefore, to scientifically measure the amount of Capsaicin within OC sprays, High Pressure Liquid Chromatography (HPLC)* is used to obtain exact and accurate machine data. HPLC provides an acceptable international guideline for testing the Capsaicin amount by the scientific community.

* See the Official Analytical Methods of The American Spice Trade Association (HPLC method 21.1).

IIRC, we used a brand called "Cap-Stun" which was pretty strong, but I will confirm that whenever he gets back to me.

PS I got the info from here:

http://www.zarc.com/english/other_sp...gth/index.html
Old 06-25-2007, 10:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Here's an interesting link on the subject that may help:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=3473848
Old 06-26-2007, 01:52 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Fulton 1
Here's an interesting link on the subject that may help:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=3473848
Watch the video - it tells it all.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:28 AM
Banned

I like the foam, having it stick there and mask, but the red sabre doesnt come in foam.
Damn looks painful, hope she never gets mad at me and decides to give me blast
Old 06-26-2007, 08:26 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by NWDragRacer
Watch the video - it tells it all.
Those videos are priceless! I think a few of you guys should test some of these products & see which one is more effective. That Sabre Red **** looks NASTY! Hey, I'll even film it for you!

PS I'll bring a can of evaporated milk for you (it works on skydrol, maybe it works on pepper spray too)
Old 06-26-2007, 11:25 AM
TECH Veteran

While the idea of "trying it" on yourself may sound ludicris, it is priceless information to have when you end up with a faceful of your own (or your co-workers ). In the academy, we had an entire day where we were locked in an old Army bunker and numerous huge riot canisters were unleashed on us in there.......sans any kind of gas mask. We also had tear gas, mace, etc sprayed directly on us, etc. Then when OC came out, most of us volunteered to get a blast of it in the face so we could know what it would do to us, etc. I am glad I did as I knew after that, if anyone got ahold of my OC and sprayed me with it, I could justifiably shoot them as it pretty much knocked me down and out of the fight for a good amount of time. Over the years I developed a decent resistance to it, but one good shot directly to the face would still put me down........just something to think about because that stuff does drift and it almost ALWAYS gets back on you/in your face at least a little bit almost every time.
Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
Those videos are priceless! I think a few of you guys should test some of these products & see which one is more effective. That Sabre Red **** looks NASTY! Hey, I'll even film it for you!

PS I'll bring a can of evaporated milk for you (it works on skydrol, maybe it works on pepper spray too)
Dunno about milk (never tried it), the only 3 things that I know for sure that help are fresh air/wind, water (works great till the water is gone or dries) and time.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:26 PM
Banned

Dunno about milk (never tried it), the only 3 things that I know for sure that help are fresh air/wind, water (works great till the water is gone or dries) and time.

Eating bread was the only thing that put out the Prairie fire I had once, but not sure how to apply that to your eyes
Old 06-26-2007, 05:06 PM
FormerVendor

Just buy here a gun, teach her how to use it and shoot the bastard.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:44 PM
On The Tree

Turns out that Wifey went to the courses and learned to get pretty good
with a 9mm and finally ended up with a snub nosed alloy .38 to carry in her
purse.
So while she was driving downtown near Pioneer Square, she came to a stop light and this guy just came up on her blind spot and got in the car.
She didn't have time to grab her gun or anything else for that matter but as it turns out, Our Boy, Scooter was asleep in the back of the station wagon.
It was pretty ugly.
The last she saw of the guy he was running off towards the square holding his head because he left behind a piece of his ear in our front seat.
Wifey said It all happend so fast it was over before it started.
I'm beginning to rethink the gun thing.....Somebody could be on ya before you had time to even think of getting your piece out.
DT
Attached Thumbnails Where can I get pepper spray?-jenw.jpg  

Last edited by dogtag; 06-26-2007 at 05:52 PM.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wow! That's a huge azz dog.

Good for him.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a gun is much more effective.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Daredevil_TA
Look guys, I really appreciate what your trying to do but I think a firearm is a little too extreme for her tastes. I'll start small an see where we go from there-thanx for all the comments!
At least encourage her to take a self defense class. If not used correctly, pepper spray will incapacitate the user just as quickly as the bad guy.

Tell her next time it happens, call 911 from her cell phone, then drive to the nearest lighted place with lots of people around. No sense messing around with people who might be bad guys. I used to get calls like that from folks when I was a dispatcher. We would just stay on the phone with them and guide them to the nearest police station where they could get help.