Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Death in the family

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 12:21 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Death in the family

Some of you know, some suspect, but it's been 2 weeks now & I can finally talk about it.....I wrecked the TA. It's a long story, but the gist of it is I think it's totaled. I took it to Special Interest in Evt & they said she's probably not saveble. (thanks Don!)

I was headed out to Ellis house & it was raining lightly and as I came out of the last turn onto the straight about 1/2 from Ellis' house I drove over an area that someone spilled a bucket of paint on. I was going 35mph & it simply spun out of control & hit a telephone pole in the pass door.

Nothing I did had any affect. It was like was sucked into the pole. I have NEVER had a car do that, and none of the things I've learned from driving schools or racing made a difference. ANd those last few seconds watching the pole coming was pretty scary!

All I can say is I'm thankful nobody was with me, cuz they WOULD have been serioulsy hurt. I will post some pics later to show the carnage. The only thing that stopped it from being worse was the sub frame connector. But the pass side door is destroyed, the floor is buckled, the seat is squished, the dash is crunched, the frame is pushed up against the headers, the windsield is broken.....well, you get the picture.

So I am looking for a replacement car. I should know next week what the insurance company is going to do. But it sounds like they are going to get me back on the road.....after months of swapping parts.

Thanks to Ellis & Steph for all you've done to help!!!!

Old 08-18-2007, 12:33 AM
10 Second Club

You need a car that's been on a diet since........, well you know. Get a solid roof - it's stronger.

I'm home all next week. Stop by, I have new toys.
Old 08-18-2007, 12:34 AM
TECH Addict

Wow Mark.. I am really sorry to hear that, but very glad to hear it hit the passenger door and not yours. Cars can be replaced (even yours, with time..) That's shitty, I bet you must be pretty down right now, alllll that work...
Old 08-18-2007, 01:08 AM
TECH Resident

a few posts down there is a 99 TA for sale in tacoma
Old 08-18-2007, 01:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Very, Very Sad to see. As I said before Mark, Ellis and I are really sorry and will help you out anyway that we can.

A hard top would not have made a difference in this situation Don. The T-tops held up great...They didn't even break surprisingly..and structurally, the t-tops and hard tops are the same.
Old 08-18-2007, 01:21 AM
TECH Regular

Sorry to hear that Mark. Sounds like you have really had a rough few weeks.

If your interested, Im about ready to move on from my car. Its not nearly in as good condition as your Bird was but, its solid. And all your go fast parts will swap in.
Old 08-18-2007, 01:34 AM
12 Second Club

Wow... I'm glad to hear you're alright mark, like it's been said time and time again, cars can be replaced but lives can't. Let me know if there's any way I can help turn a wrench or at least help grab a cold mike's when the time comes.
Old 08-18-2007, 01:39 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Mark I still can not get over it being gomne. From loading it on the trailer and covering it to looking at the fact the Subframe connector ALONE save YOU from harm.

I am just glad you are ok.

BTW all thr t-top held up great. There is a 2in gash in the pole from the t-top and it did not break

Very un-fortunate but we can and will rebuild in one form or anouther
Old 08-18-2007, 01:46 AM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn, man.. I'm in shock, don't even know what to say... that's horrible news, man, but I know the saving grace in it is that you came away from it without getting hurt. I know you put a lot of work into it, but the car can be replaced, and it could have been much much worse.
Old 08-18-2007, 08:46 AM
On The Tree

DUDE,
That sucks. Your car will be missed. I am just glad you are OK.
Jeffy'
Old 08-18-2007, 09:06 AM
Launching!

Very sorry to hear the bad news. It was a cool car and it's a shame to lose all the hard work. Glad nobody was hurt. Good luck with your next project.
Old 08-18-2007, 10:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, I am really sorry Mark. Man, that's one thing I dread, piling up my car at the track... The main thing is you came out ok, it's not allways the outcome. Anyway, your motor is still fine, and you can build a new, better hot rod. If ya need anything at all let me know, I would be glad to help and owe ya a couple favs anywho.
Robert
Old 08-18-2007, 10:40 AM
TECH Resident

Oh man. That is painful.

I am very sorry to hear that Mark, that really sucks. You put your heart and soul into building her to be your pride and joy. Your car will be missed and never forgotten. It was an amazing machine and everybody always drooled over it.

When you get your new car let me know if there is anything I can do to help. You have helped me so much, it is the least I can do.
Old 08-18-2007, 11:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thankfully it didn't happen at the track where insurance wouldn't have covered it. It didn't hit in the front either, so that "little engine" wasn't demolished. I thought he was kidding when he called me.
Now, what can I do with that insurance money?!
Old 08-18-2007, 11:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just glad to hear your OK Mark, it was just a car, probably the nicest F-body in the nw as far as combined power and looks but still just a car

Again glad your OK.
Old 08-18-2007, 11:46 AM
TECH Regular

Sucks, sucks alot.
Old 08-18-2007, 11:55 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bummer to hear that. Glad you're ok though, and nobody else got injured,, or worse. It's always difficult to see your own car get wrecked that you've put so much time/effort into.

Mike
Old 08-18-2007, 12:06 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks everyone! It hurts.....especially when it was more or less finished. Now I get to start over.

But I did want to re-do a couple things this winter like the fuel & cooling systems, so now I can do it the way I wanted to. And who knows, maybe an F1 will sneak onto the car in the process. (shhhh, don't tell Linda)
Old 08-18-2007, 12:44 PM
Teching In

Sorry for your loss, any accident you walk away from is a blessing, glad to hear your ok. I can't wait to see the next project.
Old 08-18-2007, 12:58 PM
Launching!

Sucks very badly but I am one who believes that things always happen for a reason and usually in the end it comes out better than before.... things have a way of working themselves out in the longrun.

Being I replace poles that cars hit regularly and after seeing your car I am very VERY suprised you did not end up riding in the meatwagon after that collision.

I've seen plenty of cars that were going about 35 - 40 ish hit the pole on the door and virtualy split the car in half. Those subframes had to be the thing that really saved ur butt.

When you get rolling on putting something together let me know. I'll donate some hours to get her going a little quicker