Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

09 Diesel Corvette?? and new Duramax with no manifolds?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 11:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 09 Diesel Corvette?? and new Duramax with no manifolds?

"Corvette to get diesel power for 2009"
http://cars.about.com/b/2007/04/01/c...r-for-2009.htm

New 4.5L Duramax....has no exhaust manifolds!
http://www.sae.org/automag/technewsl...108Tech/01.htm
Old 01-24-2008, 11:52 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting spin on the diesel Vette. I just can't see that being a real hit with Corvette buyers though. I love the power potential with diesels and all, but a Vette with a diesel? Just doesn't seem right to me... lol..

On another note, it will be interesting to see the smaller GM SUV type rigs finally getting a decent diesel powerplant.

Mike
Old 01-24-2008, 11:57 AM
TECH Regular

I've seen a similar thread on other sites, and I agree with Mikey. Even though it is smaller, it is still heavier and that would throw the balance of the vette way off, and they would have to completely redesign the suspension and I don't see GM investing that kind of money. Their has been a lot of discussion on the new 4.5 on many sites, and it is about time they put a diesel back into the suburban and some of the other (smaller) SUV's. I know it is scheduled to be in the Suburban, 1/2 ton, and H2, but it would be really cool to have it in a Colorado or the likes.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The prospect of diesel sports cars has been looming for a while. CAFE has pushed it to the forefront. The new Audi R8 diesel is leading the way. I'm curious what transmission they'll mate it with. To get the most out of the power band and maintain a solid top speed you'd think they'd want to have more than 6 gears. Will we see an 8 speed paddle box in the future?
Old 01-24-2008, 01:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

The diesel corvette may sound like a good idea now, but picture it being 2030 and people will think back, "remember the diesel corvette" and laugh
Old 01-24-2008, 02:04 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ackattack1
The diesel corvette may sound like a good idea now, but picture it being 2030 and people will think back, "remember the diesel corvette" and laugh
Some times hard to laugh at some thing that comes with 300hp and probably twists to 400 with a tune The TQ would really make the difference with the right gearing. PLUS Better fuel economy to boat!

Diesel is coming and it is a good thing

ANyone think I am kidding drop a ride in one of the local Duramax trucks
Old 01-24-2008, 02:45 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
Some times hard to laugh at some thing that comes with 300hp and probably twists to 400 with a tune The TQ would really make the difference with the right gearing. PLUS Better fuel economy to boat!

Diesel is coming and it is a good thing

ANyone think I am kidding drop a ride in one of the local Duramax trucks
Yeah. Mine scoots pretty good. And on Biodiesel
Old 01-24-2008, 02:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

675 torque! Holy ! Awesome.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

That article is also pushin a year old. And while diesel will really become much more prevelant in cars in the US, I wouldn't expect that car this year as that article indicated. It will definately be an interesting next few years with automakers transitioning into getting closer to that 35mpg figure. And of course as mentioned above, you see what kind of power is squeezed out of those diesel trucks, it's insane.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:57 PM
Teching In

Guys you all know this is an April fools joke....please tell me you all know that. Look at the date the story was originally published. Maybe the jokes on me.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The original article is a joke, yes, but it(diesel sports cars) is happening and CAFE will push it in that direction. Lutz announced recently that the next generation V8 was canceled because it wasn't efficient enough. That means we're looking at 6 cylinder Turbos and 8 cylinder diesels-turbos. The full 35mpg isn't until 2020, so there is time, but I imagine you'll be seeing more and more diesel models as we get closer to that date.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Audi R8 V-12 TDI Concept - Auto Shows

You torquing to me? Are you…torquing to me?!
BY JARED GALL, PHOTOGRAPHY BY JEFFREY G. RUSSELL AND THE MANUFACTURER January 2008

Torque, as we all know, is a twisting force. It’s what gives us Indian burns, sort-of-dry dishrags, and long black streaks on industrial-park streets late at night. It’s also a hoot and a half, particularly when presented in quantities on level with a Caterpillar D11T bulldozer.

Audi’s 5.9-liter V-12 diesel promises 738 pound-feet of torque, or a little more than Superman would have needed had he used a car and a lonely Nevada two-lane to stop the earth’s rotation and spin us back in time. Wedge the V-12 into Audi’s R8 supercar, and we’re going a little weak in the neck.

Neither car nor engine is new, and we’ve had the opportunity to sample both. The R8 prevailed over Porsche’s vaunted 911 Turbo in a 2007 comparison test for its playful, predictable behavior, despite being slower than the Porsche. And the V-12 TDI—inspired by the diesel in Audi’s back-to-back Le Mans–winning R10 race car—made its debut at the 2007 Detroit auto show under the hood of a Q7 sport-ute, which we later drove and labeled “just mental.” We meant that in a really, really good way.

Searching for the Outer Limits of Too Fast

Audi claims sticking the 500-hp diesel V-12 into the R8 will result in a 0-to-60-mph time of 4.2 seconds and a top speed well over the 187 mph it claims for R8s equipped with the 4.2-liter gas V-8. We say poppycock. We recorded a 0-to-60 blast of four seconds flat in our first outing with the R8, and that car was down 80 horsepower on the diesel V-12, never mind the torque deficit of 421 pound-feet. Actually, do mind it, because it’s an improvement of 233 percent. How do you say “yee-ha” in German?

All that, and Audi claims this engine meets Euro 6 emissions standards not set to go into effect until 2014.

External cues that something is amiss with this R8 include more gape to the side blades—Audi’s term for those mismatched vertical panels aft of the doors—a glass roof with a NACA duct to help feed air to the big diesel, and all-LED headlights to better replicate daytime on those long Cannonballing nights.

Originally, our sources reported that the R10 race car would not inspire Audi honchos to drop a 12-cylinder compression-ignition lump into the R8 supercar. Here’s hoping they were wrong and some serious arm-twisting has been going on at Audi.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:12 PM
Tech Addict

There's rumours about F1 going to turbo diesels around 2012.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Crisisman
The original article is a joke, yes, but it(diesel sports cars) is happening and CAFE will push it in that direction. Lutz announced recently that the next generation V8 was canceled because it wasn't efficient enough. That means we're looking at 6 cylinder Turbos and 8 cylinder diesels-turbos. The full 35mpg isn't until 2020, so there is time, but I imagine you'll be seeing more and more diesel models as we get closer to that date.
Agreed. Diesels are coming. While the next DOHC V8 (Northstar) replacement has been shelved for the time being GM's small block V8 program is still moving forward. FI gasoline and Diesel engines are going to become the norm though from everything I've been reading. GM won't have a problem meeting CAFE numbers with a traditional SBC under the hood of a few niche vehicles like Corvette and maybe Camaro.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Rokko
There's rumours about F1 going to turbo diesels around 2012.
Bernie has said he would like F1 to head in more of a green direction. The rest of the automotive world could benefit from the breakthroughs they make on the track.

Quick Reply: 09 Diesel Corvette?? and new Duramax with no manifolds?