Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Lookin' at a used Yukon

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 11:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lookin' at a used Yukon

The XL (Suburban model) that is. Found a really good deal on one through a small dealer here in town. Inquired on it a couple weeks ago, but the wife and I were torn as to whether or not we should jump into a newer vehicle when the Durango we have now is almost paid off. The biggest problem we're running into is, our 3 daughters are growing, and going on car trips (Seattle, Kansas City, etc.) is becoming more of a cramped experience. We can't go ANYWHERE without our big car-top carrier...

For the heck of it, I called the guy up again to see if it was still there. Yep, still got it. I have a feeling it's still there because, well, everybody knows gas prices are going up soon, but the wife and I still refuse to buy a minivan!

The description and pictures looked good on the truck, and after seeing it in person today, even those pictures on the net didn't do it any justice. Excellent condition. Even as **** as I am w/ my vehicles, I only found ONE scratch in the cargo area (that's a good spot to check SUV's to see how much usage they've gotten). Carpet is in great shape, and I only found one problem with it which can get fixed. The power extending passenger mirror doesn't like to retract without a little help.

This is a 3/4 ton 2005 model, 34,000 miles, and the only option I think it doesn't have is a DVD player. Leather, reclining second seats, power sunroof, headphone jacks in the back, separate climate controls, heated seats/mirrors, On Star, XM, load-leveling suspension, 6.0L, 4WD, towing package, etc.

Since the warranty is out, I'm going to contact a Chevy dealer or two tomorrow and see what my options are for an extended warranty contract. I've done my research over the last two weeks, and based off anything I've found remotely similar to this truck, the two largest GM dealers here in town would easily have wanted $30,000-$34,000 for this thing.

I paid for a Carfax on it, and the previous owner bought it from a large GM dealer about 60 miles from here. Not only that, all the Carfax reports show its service being done at that dealership. I think they even got the oil changed there every time.

Wife and I decided that we'd never buy new again. We did that with the Durango. Too much of a hit in depreciation. I don't feel so bad paying $25k for a $50k truck though.

If we do get it, it probably won't be 'till Monday as I'm waiting for the bank to get back with me. I'll just be a happy guy and will own my first LSx powered vehicle.
Old 03-22-2008, 12:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like a nice ride. We got our 05 Crew Cab Silverado in September and I've been very happy with it. And really on the highway it will get 20 mpg, of course it has 3.42 gears and the 5.3L and is a half ton...so a little different) Ours is pretty much loaded too, the seats are about as comfortable as you could want. Ours has about 80k on it now, no problems so far.
Old 03-22-2008, 12:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Good to know. I couldn't help but to price out some CAI and exhaust parts for it tonight.
Old 03-22-2008, 01:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

I know what you mean, I did a little tuning on mine, but since it's my wife's DD, she won't let me do anything to it. She really hates the clutch I put in the corvette and it's too loud for her.....so she said I couldn't touch it. The tuning I did was pretty much for gas mileage.
Old 03-22-2008, 01:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I did a Gibson exhaust and a CAI on our Durango a few years ago mainly hoping for an improvement in gas mileage. I only gained a couple, but it sounds cool. I really like the Gibson exhaust, quiet enough for the wife but still gives a good rumble.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Durango is no more. Got what I wanted on the trade, and the Yukon is now in our driveway.

Now I can say I own an LSx powered vehicle. I will have a little money left over after the sale is done, and I can't wait to order up a CAI and exhaust for the Yuke. All stock, the power is elusive. Doesn't sound like much is going on under the hood until you look at the speedo. For a heavy truck, this thing hauls the mail. I like it.

I found out this truck has at least a 3.73 rear end, but there is an optional 4.10. I'm wondering if it might have the 4.10 because at 60 mph it's sitting at 2,000 RPM. What code or where can I look on the data sticker for it?
Old 03-25-2008, 12:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Compstall
Now I can say I own an LSx powered vehicle.
Me too....including my 68 C-10.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:43 AM
11 Second Club

We are looking at Yukon's right now.. They are pricey... lol.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love my Yukon...although I wish I would have done a Trailblazer SS instead...Congrats on the purchase! Sounds like a nice truck.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by crazylane
We are looking at Yukon's right now.. They are pricey... lol.
We got a great deal on my TBSS @ Everett Chevrolet if you decide to go in that direction.
Originally Posted by 93TAWicked1
Love my Yukon...although I wish I would have done a Trailblazer SS instead...Congrats on the purchase! Sounds like a nice truck.
They are fun.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Well if crazylane would just buy my Yukon I could then go pickup a TBSS
Old 03-27-2008, 11:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I found out our Yuke has the 4.10 rear. Definitely not the best for going on the highway around here since the speed limit is 75 mph and most people go about 85.

I gained a few mpg on our Durango by adding a CAI and exhaust, but I'm not sure this will do much for the Yuke with the 4.10 gearing since the motor will be spinning too high on the highway.

I'm thinking going w/ a 3.73 gear mod might do a little more for the truck than intake/exhaust right now...
Old 03-27-2008, 12:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

you may be right about picking up more mileage with the 3.73s, but also think about how long it will take you to make up that cost difference (~2mpg for $1500 will take about 90,000 miles )
Old 03-27-2008, 12:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

$1,500? I was ballparking around half that price...
Old 03-27-2008, 12:18 PM
TECH Junkie

You know I would love to have an insightful gas mileage conversation. My Yukon as it sits gets about 12.4 to 12.9 according to the computer. All basically city driving. I have a CAI in the garage and the harness for the electric fans. Would be open to an exhuast and programming.

But realistically how much city would all that help.

Programming- would want to stay on regular fuel preferably unless premium could get better MPG
Electric fans
CAI
Magnaflow cat back

If I could get to 15mpg+ city AND have a truck that is more fun to drive I'd be all over it...but if I do all that and get 13.5 then I'll just leave it stock..