Other Special Events Gatherings | Shows | Cruises

Grassroots Motorsports $2014 Challenge Pinto

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 07:12 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grassroots Motorsports $2014 Challenge Pinto

I am new to the site and LS/Vortec engines but not to cars. I have recently started a new project that I would like to campaign at the $2014 Grassroots Motorsports Challenge. If you are not aware of this event, it is a combination of a 1/4-mile drag race, a road course, and a concourse in a car built for less than $2014. I compete regularly, but this will be my first V8 car.
For this year I have chosen a 1978 Ford Pinto. I bought this car off of craigslist in a town very close to me. I managed to have the PO throw in enough SB Ford stuff that I could sell it off to recoup the cost of the car (as much as I could). To this point, (after selling many of the throw-ins) I only have $87 in the car.
I had originally planned to install a Mitsubishi 4G63 engine and Toyota transmission into this Pinto. However, after buying the city's (old and wrecked) animal control vehicle I have decided to install a 5.3/4L60E into the Pinto. I paid very little for it as it had 330,000 miles on it. Understand that these animal control folks have to travel a very wide range to contain these animals.....I mean (DAMN!), the Tahoe was only a 2003 and had 330,000 miles on it! I am sure they used it for other services as well. I think they (the county) bought it from another county in the area.
I now have the engine/trans/harness pulled from the wreckage. I scrapped the carcass and recoupled $328.44 back in scrap. I pulled the doors and a few odds-n-ends off of it, too. Hopefully I can sell these to further offset my cost.
The Pinto has a 4.56:1 rear gear in an 8-inch rear (reinforced case, mini spool). It has a full set of Convo-Pro's and a new set of 28 x 10.50 Goodyear slicks. It has an 8-point cage that needs to be corrected. I kept an aluminum radiator, remote trans. cooler with fan, aluminum fuel cell, Moroso switch panel, and a few other things to help in my build. The key here is to not exceed $2014.
With the budget constraints, I don't see a whole lot of mods. I do plan to have a tune done and to throw a nitrous shot on it for the contest.....cheap power.
I will probably have a harness service done to get rid of excess weight and confusion.
I am still up in the air on whether to use the rear-sump pan and slide everything back or spend the money on a front sump pan.
I have done searches, but still thought I'd get a few recommendations on mods.

1. I would like to have my converter reworked or purchase another. Can anyone recommend a converter for a 2600 lbs. car with a stock 5.3 (truck) cam?
2. Are there any other *free* mods I can perform?
3. I am reading that a good cam and a tune will wake this thing up for little $$$$. Any suggestions?

As I said, I am reading. I appreciate any input. Thanks guys!

-Les
Old 01-25-2014, 07:46 AM
Teching In

BTW, for a 330,xxx-mile engine, the thing has great compression and very little leak down. I have not had the pan off of it yet, but I figured I would look at it once I decided (or not) to change the sump configuration.
I figured I'd get flamed for throwing a 100-shot on an engine that has this many miles on it, but I am not depending on this car to get me to work. LOL This will specifically be a track rat.
Once I finish the competition, this will most likely become a testing/learning platform for me to do more with these engines.

-Les
Old 01-25-2014, 08:22 AM
On The Tree

I love these builds , Good luck ! I was thinking about a 5.3 build for one of these with a cheap ebay turbo . Using the truck manifolds and building your own piping it might be doable in your budget . since its a track car you prob get way with no intercooler . Toss up some pics when you get a chance
Old 01-25-2014, 09:31 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by lsxtreme17268
I love these builds , Good luck ! I was thinking about a 5.3 build for one of these with a cheap ebay turbo . Using the truck manifolds and building your own piping it might be doable in your budget . since its a track car you prob get way with no intercooler . Toss up some pics when you get a chance
I was thinking the same things with the manifolds. Also, by using the rear-sump pan I can slide the engine backwards and use the front area to tuck a turbo or two. I don't necessarily need room for an IC. I was thinking about using E85 for fuel in an NA form just to see how much timing I can throw at it; couldn't hurt to use E85 for the turbo set-up also.

-Les
Old 03-16-2014, 05:32 PM
Teching In

Turns out it doesn't look like I can use the truck manifolds. I have decided on a 9" setback, so the headers will have to be fab'd. I did source a front-sump pan, but decided to retain the truck rear-sump and set it back.
I have taken on a new approach here; basically, I have cut away until the engine/trans fit. It now fits, but I will have to build it back.
I had a full S&W 10-point cage that I bought years ago for my '72, but never installed it. The '78 that I am working on now has a half-assed 8-point, so after I fix all of that (sh*t) I will add the halo, A-pillar posts, and front-subframe supports from my old S&W kit......then I can prorate the kit by linear feet of tubing and come up with a dollar amount for the 10-point conversion. Remember, this is a budget competition.
I am stripping the harness when I get time.......dunno how that is gonna go, but I have a buddy that works for DIY Autotune that is gonna help me.

-Les

Quick Reply: Grassroots Motorsports $2014 Challenge Pinto