Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Need Help Fixing a Fender - Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 03:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need Help Fixing a Fender - Pictures

So I bought the fenders so I could put my LT1 front back on, but a couple of the bolt holes have been ripped. I went up to AutoZone and figured I would just get some Bondo, but there are so many options, I want to be sure to get the right one. I'm not even sure if this part of the fender is fiberglass, or if it's regular plastic.

Any suggestions on what to use, and exactly how I should fix it? This will be my first venture into any kind of body work, but I figure it doesn't have to be perfect.

Here's a picture of what I'm trying to fix:
Old 01-03-2009, 07:19 AM
Teching In

Definately not bondo (body filler). Maybe bondo makes some sort of fiberglass resin you could use in conjunction with a little fiberglass matt or cloth. This should be plenty strong enough to bolt your bumper back into place. Hope this helps!
Old 01-03-2009, 07:20 AM
Teching In

Or you could use a couple of bigger washers and that might hold it into place
Old 01-03-2009, 11:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

wait a minute here, if this is plastic never ever use body filler on plastic, its like mixing oil with water it will never work

and if this is plastic like polyurathene, which is one of the easiest plastics to work with, i would use fusors product extreme plastic repair, using a plastic repair mesh, it comes in a pink mesh roll,

lightly grinding both sides of the plastic, clean it off, cut the mesh to size, one side is sticky, stick it to both side of the plastic then apply the material to both sides, let it dry 24 hours, then you can lightly grind and shape the material, make a new hole, good as new

looks easy sounds easy but its not plastic repair in the wrong hands and with no experience can turn out bad, so i would do like one guy said washers on both sides and be done with it
Old 01-03-2009, 04:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

So some of the Fiberglass resin and similar items won't work?

I would just use washers, but out of all the ripped holes, this one is by far the least damaged. I'm not sure how well washers would work on the other ones.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:01 AM
Launching!

Deff. no fiberglass, especially since nothing on these cars is made of fiberglass. and bodo will not work either. You can't use either because they simple work stick. You need a plastic repair material like bdyman stated Fusor is good or even SEM problem plastic and 3M even makes a plastic repair material. And you'll probally have to use some kind of mesh or screen to remake the area then drill new holes.