Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

how hard is it to match pewter?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 09:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how hard is it to match pewter?

how tough is it for a body/paint shop to perfectly match the factory Pewter paint? ive been told by a paint shop a year or so ago that it is Very hard to match.

reason im asking is because i was hit 2 week ago from the drivers door through to my rear quarter panel gashing the paint to the metal denting the door in some actually structurally damaging the fiberglass inside, and denting in the rear quarter panel also. i have the police report it was the others guys fault ect.

I refuse to have a miss matched color on my car because of this. what are the chances i can get a full body pain job out of this? what advice can anyone give me?

the insurance company knows about the wreck ect. but are waiting on me to send the police report ect. should i contact the paintshop(different one) here first and maybe see if he will vouch the cars needs a complete re-painting then contact my insurance again?

i just want to make sure my insurance doesn't try to cheat me out of what i deserve and thats a car without miss matching paint of any form.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:48 AM
10 Second Club

Pewter is a difficult color to match because there are so many variances of the color. I believe there is at least 6 variances. But any reputable shop can match the color. We guarantee a color match, so look for a local shop that does the same. You can't get the insurance to pay for a complete paint, they don't owe for that and no insurance will pay for it. Although, they will pay to blend the adjacent panels to match. Find a good reputable shop that guarantees the work and the color match and you'll be fine.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

so you mean they would just blend my front driver side quarter panel to match the new side and rear quarter panel?

well i guess i just have to keep everyone on the drivers side around me though my paint finish is in really good shape. im pretty sure i could easily walk around it and spot the difference in the 2 sides
Old 01-08-2009, 11:00 AM
10 Second Club

The front one is called a fender, but yes. Blending is necessary on pretty much every color except black, unless you have adequate space between the repair area and the next panel that you can blend within the panel.. but sounds like you need a door or at least a skin from your description, so blending will be necessary.

Quick Reply: how hard is it to match pewter?