LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Paint & Body Work (https://ls1tech.com/forums/paint-body-work-128/)
-   -   Rust (https://ls1tech.com/forums/paint-body-work/1267628-rust.html)

Mustang Hat'r 2 04-13-2010 09:27 PM

Rust

Need some help with rust repair. Mild surface rust on undercarriage and engine bay. I want it removed and to "never" come back.

The engine bay will have all the hole that are no longer needed welded up closed and smooth, strut towers seems will also be gone.

If I just grind off the rust. What primer/sealer should I get? The paint and clear I can handle. I just don't know what to use on the bare metal to stop rust from returning. It has to be rattle cans, or recomend some good paint guns.

black_sheep454 04-14-2010 12:30 PM

Get a good spray on rust encapsulator and follow directions on label. You'll want to clean it off as good as possible, spray on as instructions say (most have to dry for 24 hrs), them prime and sand smooth

Whistler 04-18-2010 09:40 AM

You've got to either sandblast it off or grind it. Be careful with the grinding as you can grind it to thin and make the metal weak. If it's on the undercarriage you can wire brush the loose stuff and apply POR-15 or the Wurth equivalent "Rostop". It's a brush on application and has been proven to neutralize rust.

whytryz28 04-18-2010 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Whistler (Post 13203960)
You've got to either sandblast it off or grind it. Be careful with the grinding as you can grind it to thin and make the metal weak. If it's on the undercarriage you can wire brush the loose stuff and apply POR-15 or the Wurth equivalent "Rostop". It's a brush on application and has been proven to neutralize rust.

This, I did the whole under body of my 69 camaro with POR-15. haven't seen any rust coming through in years, and it rains like hell here in FL lol

Whistler 04-18-2010 09:49 AM

That's perfect for humid FL. It's not as pretty as bc/cc paint, but it's rock solid rust kill/prevention. It comes in gloss or the satin, I prefer the satin for chassis.

Mustang Hat'r 2 04-29-2010 04:33 PM

Its vary light surface rust in all areas. In the bay i want weld/bond all holes/seams and smooth it out. Can I use por 15 then paint over it?

I want it to look nice but not show quility, just just my lake of experiance.
What kind of paint and gun etc would I need for the top coat? It's just the bay so I dont have to go crazy. Please help I do all my own work and hate taking my car to other people for anything.
Thanks
Jay

jay97lt1 04-29-2010 06:13 PM

U can Grind it off and use Ecthing Primer on it and it does come in a rattle can then, use a good primer over it sand it smooth and you are good to go. If you are just painting under the hood I would use Nason made by Du Pont or Shopline made by PPG. Transtar is a good Cheaper Clear to use. I would go to Lowes and get a Kobalt paint gun thats where I got my touch up gun and it sprays better then my Mac Tools gun. I hope this helps you out.