Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

How much does getting the frame straightened cost roughly?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 12:49 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How much does getting the frame straightened cost roughly?

I know it's going to vary place to place, but what is a good price on average for having my Firebird thrown up on a rack and straightened to factory specs?? I can visually see the frame is tweaked a little (like a gap in the t-tops on one side) and would like to the frame straightened to stock specs before making it into a race car.
Old 05-20-2010, 03:08 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

uhh there is no good price for that, you need a frame machine. Bodyshops have them, but it won't be cheap.

I can't give you a rough estimate, every shop works differently.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Cost is all going to depend on how bad the frame is and how many different ways they have to pull it. If you're seeing a gap in the t-tops, it's going to have to be bent pretty bad.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:11 AM
Teching In

Default What Frame?

FP, Your car doesn't have a frame, it's a unit body. As far as straightening it, we charge $60 an hour in my part of Ohio. Gaps in a T- top area doesn't necessarily mean you have unit body damage. Further more, A T-top car wouldn't be the best choice for a race car ( Too flexxy ) unless you were to install at least a 10 point cage or a full tube chassis.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

^Unibody.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bet mine is tweaked also. It was supposedly straightened after an accident before the sub-frame connectors were welded on. But now, the passenger side Adj LCA is nearly 2 inches shorter than the driver's side to get the tires even in the wheel well.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 1camwndr
i bet mine is tweaked also. It was supposedly straightened after an accident before the sub-frame connectors were welded on. But now, the passenger side adj lca is nearly 2 inches shorter than the driver's side to get the tires even in the wheel well.
damn!!
Old 05-21-2010, 01:56 PM
Teching In

Default Same thing

Unibody, unit body, it's the same thing, where do you think the acronym "Unibody" came from?
Old 05-21-2010, 02:30 PM
Teching In

When my car was in an accident awhile back, I am pretty sure they had to do some frame work (among other things). Total cost for all the work they did was like 4-5 grand. The original estimate was like 1200 or something when they thought all the damage was cosmetic... So most of the cost came from the frame damage. In other words, it probably won't be cheap.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

well it all depends if the car came to me 100% assembled and i have to remove parts just to pull it, then thats body labor at 48 an hour
then the time to clamp and or chain the car down is a 1 1/2 set up time, at 100 a hour
yes where i work frame time is 100 a hour
then there is set up time for the computerized measure system which is a 1.0

if your seeing gaps at the t tops that right there would tell me to walk away, the unibody could be to twisted to save, im guessing your car was totaled, and or deemed a "structual total"

but lets not say that is the case, sometimes we could spend 2 hours other times its 2 days of pulling, thinking, up and down up and down on the rack, and when your almost 20yrs in going up and down i cant even move in the morning, my hands feel like they have been hit with a hammer....................anyways................. ................

where i work and the other past shops we would tell customers its a by the hour work if it goes more then 8 hours then we have to stop to let the customer know and if they want to pay the money

it will add up fast and it will be costly plus what if you have to section in a new rail, core support, lower apron repair, upper rails, strut towers, all the parts and all the labor
even if just a race car we have to fix it correctly so it goes straight and doesnt dog track

i dunno to me lets see a pic and go from there
Old 08-23-2015, 02:12 PM

Default The real truth

Let me give u a new thought unibody cars have frames incorporated in the structure. Depending on the yr model, some firebirds were full frame back in the day, late models r unibody.what do u think the square box behind the rebar is? These can be repaired along as the frame rail isnt kinked to far to the fire wall. Body shops will put a frame rail in front or rear if the insursnce co and i-car allow. From the repairman side its a loser, because the tech gets beat on the labor. There is mechanical time for the engine, but if u never done one, look at the ticket. A genesis is bout the best tool for the job. U can check the rail before u start welding it in for proper specs.does away with total sheet metal alignment, then having to disassemble it all over again. Motorhead
Old 08-25-2015, 02:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I can find $1,000-$1,500 rollers all day long.. No sense in throwing money at repairing it when they are readily available..
Old 08-25-2015, 05:49 AM

Smile Car shorter on one side

Undoubtly your car has been hit hard in the side. If its shorter on wheel to wheel measurements. The correct pull for side hits is out in the middle and forward and rear straight back on each end. This situation is called a u. Again a genesis measuring system will come in handy. This repair will not be cheap. But with no doubt your car will never track properly nor will you ever be able to keep tires on it. When u turn sharp either direction this car hops and screces, right.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I bet this information would have more useful 5 years ago when the OP asked..... I'm pretty sure he has moved on.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 70 Posts

^^lol. sure hope he didn't wait around*
Old 08-31-2015, 08:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeffrey Parchman
Depending on the yr model, some firebirds were full frame back in the day, late models r unibody.
F-bodies have always been unibody cars. 1st and 2nd gens both had subframes in front.

Nice thread resurrection though.

Quick Reply: How much does getting the frame straightened cost roughly?