Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

its killing me!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 04:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default its killing me!

so yest at like 6 pm when sun usually comes on my car i took a look at it and all i can see is swirls!!! its annoying and ugly .. i tried to go to local body shops, they usually machine polish cars but the outcome was the same! ok the swirls are less but u still can see them when any light comes on its killing me!...is there anyway i can remove them by hand polish or rubbing compounds? which is better hand or machine polish? wt do i need? any input is appreciated thx
Old 07-02-2010, 12:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Is your car black? i can't tell from the sig pic
Old 07-02-2010, 02:32 AM
TECH Junkie

^ what he said and you may have to have it water sanded a lil the buffed, polished and all that other stuff to get the swirls out
Old 07-02-2010, 02:58 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had really deep swirls all over my car. used a porter cable and it took everything out.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:56 AM
TECH Addict

yes its black..i dnt know if its deep or wt exactly but they are becoming much move visible...i bought rubbing compounds i tried it on steel and iron they r so rough i dnt think it will work...can i get them by hand ? thx guys.
Old 07-02-2010, 05:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

On my previous black trans am I used Meguiars gold glass paste wax. Don't use the liquid stuff it doesn't work as well. Stay away from synthetics they bring out swirls, Carnubas are the way to go they just don't last as long. Don't waste your time using an orbital on a black car, it may end up swirled worse. Make sure you wax in a very cool area and NEVER EVER wax in the sun, the paint is soft in the sun and will swirl like crazy. You can do alot more to reduce swirls but a good wax is the easiest, just keep up with it.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:46 PM
TECH Addict

so your saying cover your swirls? wont polishing work? ill get some wax today and give it a nice detail and waxing. thx for the input
Old 07-02-2010, 07:50 PM
On The Tree

get a buffer and try a foam pad first and if that doesn't work get a wool pad but try not to stay in one area for a long time because you will burn threw the clear coat then you would have to get that touched up at a body shop... wool pad create a lot of heat if you stay in one area so move it around in good speed form.. Foam pad is more for polishing and getting little scratches out and giving a nice clean look so id say use wool pad and some good compound should work good that's what i used on my car
Old 07-02-2010, 09:12 PM
Launching!

if you get a buffer, get an orbital. i really like the porter cable. with an orbital, you will not hurt your paint. i have a black car and had swirl marks about as bad as they come. wolfgang's swirl remover works great. i started with that, then followed it up with wolfgang finishing glaze, which is intented to use after their swirl remover. the stuff is expensive tho. theres plenty of great products, thats just what worked for me
Old 07-02-2010, 10:00 PM
TECH Addict

It should be repairable, I have seen write ups on here about detailing.. look up the extreme detailing post..it has a lot of good information.
Old 07-02-2010, 11:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wax will temporarily hide the swirls, my carnanuba would last about a month. If you want to try an orbital that's cool but from my experience with a black car I would not recommend it. Polish will work very nicely if you feel like going more in depth with the exterior of your car. Remember, polish first then wax.
Old 07-04-2010, 12:07 AM
Teching In

If your really serious about paint correction. i would start with clay barring, then get yourself a rotary buffer. A wool pad with rubbing compound will do alot, follow that with a black foam polishing pad and a polish. For black 3m's perfect it 3000 system is the way to go. The last step is a softer blue foam pad with swirl remover. Then wax your car with a nice carnuba wax. FOllow that with a sealant.
Old 07-04-2010, 12:18 AM
Launching!

i believe sealant is supposed to be applied before wax. i could be wrong but thats the way ive always done it

Quick Reply: its killing me!