Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Swirl Marks

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 03:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swirl Marks

I have a black TA that was painted about two years ago. I am very cautious about my car: I have never washed it in a car wash; I use my own soft brushes or microfiber cloths to wash it and a chamois to dry it; I only use terry clothes to polish the car, yet I have swirl marks. Should I try to buff them out or what?
Old 07-02-2010, 03:25 PM
Launching!

A couple of questions:

How many coats of clear did your painter put on?

Have you heard of the two-bucket method?

Swirl marks are created by improper washing techniques or from using a rough towell to wash a vehicle, a simple test, is to take what you typically use to wash your car take some clean new blank CDs and try to scrub the backside of the CDs, if your mit or etc is scratching a CD, it will be scratching your paint.

A Black Car is extremely difficult to keep swirl and scratch free if it is not garaged.

Do you own a buffer?

Where do you live in NC?
Old 07-02-2010, 05:04 PM
Staging Lane

I'm not sure how many coats he put on it.
That's a cool idea about using the CD.
I'm not sure that I know about the two bucket method.
I do have a 2600 RPM buffer

I live in Marion, NC about 45mins. east of Asheville.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wet sand will get those out but if you dont have the cash or know how many coats of clear is on there and you decide to have it water sanded i would be very careful with it and not go to far down. but sometimes polishin it with get em out BUT not all of em and you live in marion i see? lol heck im right below ya in rutherford county lol
Old 07-02-2010, 07:56 PM
Staging Lane

No kidding. Is it just me, or are there too many freakin mustangs around here? Thanks for the tip.

Last edited by SuperMac; 07-02-2010 at 08:23 PM.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:02 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SuperMac
I'm not sure how many coats he put on it.
That's a cool idea about using the CD.
I'm not sure that I know about the two bucket method.
I do have a 2600 RPM buffer

I live in Marion, NC about 45mins. east of Asheville.
I'm sorry for the delayed response, I wasn't online over the weekend.

They probably put two coats of clear, aftermarket clear (most of the time) is harder/tougher than OE Clear. The reason why I asked is to see if you have enough clear to polish out the swirls - clear coat is usually as thin as a piece of paper.

The CD test will see if you washing mit will scratch or mar the paint, the two bucket method:

One bucket with your choice of soap (mine is Optimum No Rinse, awesome stuff) one with clear water.

Dip your clean washing mit into the soap bucket, get a good amount of soapy water (note...do not make suds with the soap, try to just have clear soapy water) wash a panel, top down, put washing mit into the clean water bucket, rinse it and ring it out of the dirt, put into mit back into soap bucket and repeat the process.

I would also suggest Grit Guards (found on Autogeek.net).

If using a regular car soap, spray off panel after washing it, if using ONR, wipe off with two micro fiber towels.

For Black paint I would suggest getting the ONR and if you have one, a garage.

The only way to get rid of the swirls is by polishing them out, do not wet sand until you try polishing them out, always try least a aggressive method first. With dark color car, it's easier to see the swirls, if you use a compound and don't get 100% of them out, it may just be easier to "deal with the spots," you'll go nuts trying to make it flawless. Example of that, I have several bird etchings in my T/A's paint, I have compounded them and they look better, but, unless I want to repaint the entire car, it's not going to be perfect, I just slap on some quality sealer then some coats of carnuba wax and call it a day.

Meguire's M105 and M205 compounds are great starting points. I don't have a rotary so I can't give you advice on that one.

I asked where you live b/c if you were close to Durham, I could possibly help you out since I have most of the items I talked about.

I hope this helps.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:50 AM
On The Tree

Get the new proter-cable random orbital buffer. It is impossible to burn through the paint. It will actually bind the clutches and stop if you apply too much pressure. 3M finish glaze and this buffer, your golden! I have been buffing for years, and this thing cuts a better finish than ever before! In half the time.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:54 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SteelCityYaga
I'm sorry for the delayed response, I wasn't online over the weekend.

They probably put two coats of clear, aftermarket clear (most of the time) is harder/tougher than OE Clear. The reason why I asked is to see if you have enough clear to polish out the swirls - clear coat is usually as thin as a piece of paper.

The CD test will see if you washing mit will scratch or mar the paint, the two bucket method:

One bucket with your choice of soap (mine is Optimum No Rinse, awesome stuff) one with clear water.

Dip your clean washing mit into the soap bucket, get a good amount of soapy water (note...do not make suds with the soap, try to just have clear soapy water) wash a panel, top down, put washing mit into the clean water bucket, rinse it and ring it out of the dirt, put into mit back into soap bucket and repeat the process.

I would also suggest Grit Guards (found on Autogeek.net).

If using a regular car soap, spray off panel after washing it, if using ONR, wipe off with two micro fiber towels.

For Black paint I would suggest getting the ONR and if you have one, a garage.

The only way to get rid of the swirls is by polishing them out, do not wet sand until you try polishing them out, always try least a aggressive method first. With dark color car, it's easier to see the swirls, if you use a compound and don't get 100% of them out, it may just be easier to "deal with the spots," you'll go nuts trying to make it flawless. Example of that, I have several bird etchings in my T/A's paint, I have compounded them and they look better, but, unless I want to repaint the entire car, it's not going to be perfect, I just slap on some quality sealer then some coats of carnuba wax and call it a day.

Meguire's M105 and M205 compounds are great starting points. I don't have a rotary so I can't give you advice on that one.

I asked where you live b/c if you were close to Durham, I could possibly help you out since I have most of the items I talked about.

I hope this helps.
WOW! That helped a lot man!! Sounds like you really know your stuff!

I like the name too. I've been a Steeler fan since I was 4 years old! If we can keep Ben out of jail and Troy healthy, we could get number 7 this year!!

We might be able to meet up one day, somewhere between Marion and Durham and catch a game or wash cars or whatever. According to mapquest, we're about 3 hours apart.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:57 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bowtiebuilder
Get the new proter-cable random orbital buffer. It is impossible to burn through the paint. It will actually bind the clutches and stop if you apply too much pressure. 3M finish glaze and this buffer, your golden! I have been buffing for years, and this thing cuts a better finish than ever before! In half the time.
Sweet! Thanks Bowtie Builder!
Do you think my buffer might be too much at 2600 rpms?
Old 07-06-2010, 03:28 PM
On The Tree

Buffing a car with an unknown amount of clear is scary. Do yourself a favor and go with the said buffer. I'm telling you, it works magic!
Old 07-06-2010, 03:50 PM
Staging Lane

Buffing a car with an unknown amount of clear is scary. Do yourself a favor and go with the said buffer. I'm telling you, it works magic!
That's a sweet looking Camaro man!!
Old 07-06-2010, 03:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

is this the one? http://www.google.com/products/catal...CAcQ8wIwADgA#p

I'm interested in this buffer but there are a couple different models and I want to make sure I get the right one.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LS-1Z28

I'm interested in this buffer but there are a couple different models and I want to make sure I get the right one.
my computer wouldnt load the link. but autogeek has good package deals on the pc's. the porter cable 7424 xp is whats suggested. u can get all kinds of pad/product combinations there that'll save ya a little money. thats also where i get all my detailing products. i had really deep swirls in mine that i got out with no problem with the pc. even got some scratches out that i wouldnt have expected it to.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:18 PM
Launching!

WOW! That helped a lot man!! Sounds like you really know your stuff!

I like the name too. I've been a Steeler fan since I was 4 years old! If we can keep Ben out of jail and Troy healthy, we could get number 7 this year!!

We might be able to meet up one day, somewhere between Marion and Durham and catch a game or wash cars or whatever. According to mapquest, we're about 3 hours apart.
lol

Thanks, I was born up in the 'Burgh. My parents moved to Northern Virginia when I was a kid, I take my wife and my mom back to home every year for a game or two.

I am a huge Steeler fan. My wife would say it is obsession, but I always reply, it's not an obsession being a Stiller fan is a way of life.

I am also a member of a Football forum where I discuss the Stillers and the NFL.

IMO, this season could be amazing or a complete disaster, much like the offseason. For defense Troy and Aaron Smith need to stay healthy, LaMarr needs to play a full season the way he played the last nine games of last season, Silverback-James Harrison will be looking for blood, Timmons has to play the run better, he has to learn to beat blockers and ultimately LeBeau has to trust the young defensive backs more this season. I think that this defense will be TICKED OFF, there have been a lot of doubters of this defense, they will be relied on for the 4 or 6 games that Ben will be suspended. I expect a defense on par with the 2008 Defense. R.Clark is going to get suspended for knocking too many people out.

On offense, they just have to survive the first 4 or 6 games, Arians has to involve Mendenhall more with the departure of Holmes. Ben has to start hitting his check downs. I really think the loss of W.Colon will not be as bad as the media wants people to think. Pouncey needs to be starting at center or right guard. Hartwig needs to not even show up, he's a horrible starting center. The rookie WRs will unfortunately, be relied on more with Holmes not there. I HOPE that E.Sanders will impress. No matter what the media says, Heath Miller is not a good blocking Tight End, he has to block better!

Tomlin and the Coaches made a special point to improve special teams, I think that with the draft picks of Worlids, Sylvester and Gibson, bring youth and speed to the STs and Linebacking Corp.

See....it's not an obsession...more of a way of life.

Let me know if you need more help with the swirls and etc, maybe we can figure something out.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS-1Z28

That's the one! To all you guys looking at it.... DO IT! Best purchase I've made in a long time. You won't remember your **** looked so good!
And for the record... Huge Steelers fan myself! Your right, it's a way of life! Dick's daughter runs a pub here in louisville called our place. Kick *** place, kinda like being in Pitt! And your right, run the dog snot out of Rashard! He's way better than people give him credit for. The loss of Holmes sucks, but Wallace is pretty bad ***! I don't think he will be missed at all. Don't forget, Bryant is back!
Old 07-06-2010, 07:45 PM
On The Tree

That's a sweet looking Camaro man!!
Thanks man! It's gonna change to yellow/black probably this winter... Has nothing to do with the Steelers
Old 07-07-2010, 07:05 AM
Launching!

That's the one! To all you guys looking at it.... DO IT! Best purchase I've made in a long time. You won't remember your **** looked so good!
And for the record... Huge Steelers fan myself! Your right, it's a way of life! Dick's daughter runs a pub here in louisville called our place. Kick *** place, kinda like being in Pitt! And your right, run the dog snot out of Rashard! He's way better than people give him credit for. The loss of Holmes sucks, but Wallace is pretty bad ***! I don't think he will be missed at all. Don't forget, Bryant is back!
LoL

Truly off topic!

Rashard is extremely athletic and you're right, better than what people give him credit for. The block he did on the Charger Linebacker this past season was beautiful! He has to get incorporated into the offense more.

I have mixed feelings about Wallace, I don't think he is going to get 1000 yards like people are expecting, he'll be receiving a lot more double coverage. That was the beauty of having a dangerous WR in Holmes, he had to be double covered or it's 6 points. It opened things up for Old Hines and Wallace to not be double covered. Having that luxury is gone.

Though BMac sucked in Arizona, I feel he was out of position having to play more man coverage than zone. He should bounce back.

As long as Ben stays healthy and gets on the field they have a chance.

Don't lie about the color choice!!! LoL
Old 07-07-2010, 07:41 AM
Staging Lane

Amen to all of the above! As long as we can keep William Gay on the bench we'll be fine! That boy got burned more times than I could count last year. I'm with you guys, if we can get the silverback and Woodley loose again and Lebeau will take the handcuffs off every quarterback in the league had better have his head on a swivel!! Those guys are probably the best Steelers linebacker duo since Kevin Greene and Greg Lloyd. If we see some Blitzburgh.... It's on! On offense I'm with you, I think we'll be fine Rashard is a tank! Don't forget we also got Randle-El back, you never know what he's gonna do. He played pretty well for the Black and Gold.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:53 AM
Staging Lane

BTW, the color scheme sounds GREAT! Only thing is if you roll around like that, people may think you're a Steeler fan.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:47 PM
On The Tree

Ah come on! Willie isn't that bad! Ok, ok, so he doesn't need to be a starting corner but he will be a good nickle back! Willie is a good friend of mine, I used to party it up with him here at UL! Go Cards!

Quick Reply: Swirl Marks