LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Paint & Body Work (https://ls1tech.com/forums/paint-body-work-128/)
-   -   Wrecked the 1996 Camaro SS (https://ls1tech.com/forums/paint-body-work/1322040-wrecked-1996-camaro-ss.html)

RedRyder518 08-24-2010 02:25 PM

Wrecked the 1996 Camaro SS

8 Attachment(s)
Hey gang...it happened after owning the car for 8 years. I've had a few little mishaps that weren't my fault (lady backing into me at Walmart, someone sideswiping me, lady backing into me at a gas station, brother backing into me), but this one is finally mine.

Long story short, my buddy and I were coming home and driving down a two lane freeway. The freeway came to a stoplight and when we tried to stop, the brakes stopped working. We were going freeway speeds unable to stop so to keep from rear ending cars at the light, we had to swerve and go over several curbs before spining through the intersection and jumping a few more curves. Luckily neither one of us had any injuries or no other cars were involved.

I'm almost certain that she will be totaled out...14 year old car with 150,000 miles on it. The engine still starts. Not sure about the transmission though.

From what I can see, the damage is pretty much this:

-All 4 tires and wheels are gone
-Right rear tire has broken off the axle
-Rear axle will need replacement
-Probably all four corners need complete new suspension
-Passenger window busted out
-Severe exhaust damage (pretty much gone)
-Severe quarter panel damage to passenger side
-Bad quarter panel damage to drivers side
-Bad wheel well damage to front drivers side
-Front and rear bumpers will need either replacement or repair

I really can't tell if the frame has been tweaked or not. The doors seem to be misaligned but that may be due to the quarter panels being bent into them.

I just can't see myself letting this car go. It was my first car and I've taken such great care of it...can't even tell you how many hours I've spent washing and Zainoing it....how many hours of general maintenance, countless passes down the track.

I'm still waiting on the insurance company to give an estimate, but I can't imagine that it would be worth more than $5k to 6k.

Anyone had any experience with running over curbs at highways speeds? I want to rebuild it. Am I being nuts right now? I know it would end up being a salvage title, but I would never consider reselling anyways...just to have her maybe as a track or weekend car. I just can not see her sitting in a field somewhere, rotting away, parts being taken off of her.:cry:

Blackhawk777 08-24-2010 05:42 PM

As long as the frame isn't screwed, she's fixable, but you are right about insurance. They'll total it out, but if you want, you can buy back and at the worst, part it out for another car. But IMO it really doesn't look that bad.

TransAmdriv3r 08-25-2010 06:04 PM

so sorry about your loss, I would have cried :bang:

meine96ws6 08-25-2010 06:17 PM

I would have just just yanked the e-brake and wished for the best.. but, it doesn't look to bad.. and if you want a track car your good.. if the frame is not all bent

SparkyJJO 08-25-2010 06:22 PM

It doesn't look that bad at all given what you described, holy cow. From what I can tell in the pics, the body lines are still straight (looking at the hatch and quarter lines in particular), the popped t-top on the driver side is a little concern though.

I'd honestly look into trying to fix it too. And not as just a drag car, but back driving again.

If I had to guess, you lost a brake line possibly... My 98 has 159k on it now, but I recently replaced the rear line as it was all rotted out and about ready to give out.

CranMaro99 08-25-2010 06:42 PM

That is beyond totaled man. Keep in mind the body panels looked messed up (and the suspension is what took the hits anyways, so image the damage under the car...)

Glad you are OK.

omarrakeen 08-26-2010 06:14 AM

sorry for that :( but honestly its not that bad! you should see what my friend did to his v6 and he got it back factory looking..good luck with yours.

EDIT: sorry i just read the damages..your better off it lol just get another one. gd luck again and glad ur not injured :)

Marc3.4V6 08-26-2010 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by meine96ws6 (Post 13780422)
I would have just just yanked the e-brake and wished for the best.. but, it doesn't look to bad.. and if you want a track car your good.. if the frame is not all bent

That might have worked if he'd done it slowly, not yanking it, but he didn't have time to think.

RedRyder518 08-26-2010 10:32 PM

I don't think it would have done much. It was pulled but there just wasn't enough time.

Still waiting to hear from the insurance.

jay7199 08-27-2010 12:33 AM

shes totaled, the suspension needs repair, that counts for mechanical work witch cost alot more then body work.

Now that being said, the driver 1/4 panel can probably be repaired, the passenger side 1/4 and rocker panel need to be replaced.

Buy it back and use the money to upgrade/replace your broken suspension, send your wheels off to wheels of America for repair.. they can fix just about anything.

And take the hit for the body work, if the frames got a little tweak id still fix it..

Its a Original 96 SS, shes a keeper no matter what.

But thats IMO.

good luck, I hope you keep it.

phantomzer0 08-27-2010 01:50 AM

Wow very sorry to hear this happen. If you can keep it, keep it. You can restore it easy.

merim123 08-27-2010 08:48 AM

you could probably save it if the floor pans and the rest of the undercarriage, e.g. sills aren't completely mangled. You can buy all the replacement mechanical things on here. I'd say do it!

I had a toyota mr2 back in college that my brother drove over some boulders. destroyed the front suspension and the floor boards. we were young then so we fixed it all our selves and drove the car 12 more years :)

scj 08-28-2010 10:15 PM

if they total it, you can always buy it back and part it out.
and sell me that spoiler of course. :D

sorry about the loss though man, i know how you feel.

bdyman 08-29-2010 07:44 PM

i dunno where my post went but here i go again,
what kind of insurance do you have, statefarm uses NADA book value, the rst use kelly blue book, and ill say it again if the frame rails are bent of swayed over doesnt always mean its totaled

we can and do fix frame rails, section in new rails, its the cost of parts and the labor that will totale a car not frame damage, so many shops use, chief computerized measuring system, car-o-liner, the list goes on we can and do fix damaged frames

this also depends on the mileage of your the cost of parts and labor, and also when the car is torn down there is always more damage which can sometimes total out a car due to more parts more labor

please stop deleting my posts i did nothing wrong but tried to respond with a technical answer

RedRyder518 08-30-2010 10:04 AM

Hmm..I have not deleted anyones post??

I have State Farm insurance.

Choppers 08-30-2010 11:52 AM

I'll take the hood but i hope this car can be saved.

cnd99hawk 08-31-2010 02:42 AM

I wish you the same luck that I had with my insurance.. its in the shop right now. Theyre estimating 12,000 USD all said and done. I know how you feel, its like somebody died..

SparkyJJO 08-31-2010 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by bdyman (Post 13796557)
please stop deleting my posts i did nothing wrong but tried to respond with a technical answer

Nobody in here can delete posts except mods... my guess is there was a glitch and it didn't post, or you hit the post button and then either went to another webpage or closed the browser too quickly.

RedRyder518 09-01-2010 07:58 PM

It is totaled...they claim they will give $6500 for it and $1400 salvage value. What to do now...

Choppers 09-01-2010 09:18 PM

You going to buy it back?

jay7199 09-01-2010 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by RedRyder518 (Post 13811521)
It is totaled...they claim they will give $6500 for it and $1400 salvage value. What to do now...

buy it back, get to work

Noxious 09-02-2010 01:54 PM

I dunno about fixin this one.....lots of underbody damage.

robsquikz28 09-03-2010 02:37 AM

But it back, look for another car and sell the good parts on here :)

nascarnate326 09-12-2010 03:45 PM

Buy it back, make it as driveable as possible.

In 20 years that vin = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

RedLT1Z 09-12-2010 03:46 PM

Really sorry to hear about the car. :(

What'd you end up deciding to do.

9WhiteCamaro9 09-12-2010 03:57 PM

i hate that happened to ya and i hope it all gets fixed for ya in the end

RedRyder518 09-13-2010 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by RedLT1Z (Post 13855250)
Really sorry to hear about the car. :(

What'd you end up deciding to do.

I'm buying it back. I figure I will take it to a body shop and see what kind of frame damage there may be and see if it is fixable.

It will be a LONG term project for me. My brother is buying a car trailer so we're picking it up this week and putting it into my storage unit for a bit.

In the mean time, I should be picking up an '04 Lightning to drive around and haul stuff. The SS will be the weekend/track car.

RedRyder518 09-21-2010 08:55 AM

I'll be going to pick her up tomorrow. My brother is buying himself a flat bed car trailer with a wench so I'm probably going to bring my old SS wheels and tires and put those on at the car place so we can roll it onto the trailer. Then I'm going to put it into storage for a little bit while I gather my thoughts on everything.

I swear though, I'm having fucking bad luck on cars right now. The day before I went to pick up the Lightning, it got stolen and involved in a high speed police chase.

Luckily the only damage is the front bumper has some gouges and the fuckers tried to run from the police with a blown out left rear tire...and of course the door lock and ignition. It's getting fixed by insurance now as we speak.

speedracer2536 09-21-2010 10:20 AM

i would pass on a car that you know that was stolen.. i theif beats the living dog piss out of it if it was in a chase..

RedRyder518 09-21-2010 10:39 AM

Unfortunately I can't...it's already been paid for.

1995blacktattop 09-21-2010 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by RedRyder518 (Post 13892654)
Unfortunately I can't...it's already been paid for.

If you bought it and it was stolen off their lot before you took delivery, i would think that would let you out of the deal somehow.

AZ2ENVY 09-22-2010 08:39 PM

Im definitely glad you decided to buy back and keep the SS ! Best of luck with it as well :)

RedRyder518 09-22-2010 10:20 PM

Here are some shitty cell phone pics of it getting loaded up. They use a freaking fork lift to move cars around at this auction place!! Good thing is while it was up in the air, I was able to get a good look at the undercarriage. No real damage except the muffler is all fucked up. The rest of the engine, transmission, k-member, and other braces and parts aren't hurt.

I guess first things first, gotta take it to a chassis shop and get the unibody checked out.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._7823456_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._6180964_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._7537879_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._4847908_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._7288940_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...9_694479_n.jpg

RedLT1Z 11-27-2010 10:55 PM

It's a bummer seeing her like that man. I wish you the best of luck getting her back together. I'm sure it will look gorgeous when done.

SuperSport01 11-28-2010 12:07 AM

I hate to see stuff like this. With the frame damage I see in the pictures thats gonna be a parts car. Best of luck to you.

reeperz28 12-01-2010 09:48 PM

buy another one and start again or come over on too the ls side:devil:

teamfbody 12-01-2010 10:39 PM

Glad to hear that you & your friend are both ok,sorry about your Camaro man trust me I know the feeling of losing a car you put so much time and money into I also hate to see Fbodies go to waste so if I was you I would fix my baby good look hope you come back out on top

RedRyder518 12-02-2010 09:05 AM

Thank y'all for the kind words. I have a replacement axle for the passenger side so once I get some air bags to lift the car up (since it is so low now and I can't get a jack under there), I will pull out the busted one and put the replacement axle in so it can at least be a roller. From there, I am taking it to my favorite body shop and having the frame checked out.

Updates to come...keep in mind this is going to be a pretty long term project. I just don't have wads of cash to throw into it so I gotta do some saving up. :bang:

EDIT: I keep looking at those pictures of it on the trailer and get so sad. Even all wrecked, she still looks so shiny and clean. :(

scj 12-02-2010 04:34 PM

i have some chrome zr1's just like those 17"x9.5"-11" with nitto nt555's on the front, and sumitomos 315's out back in good condition for sale if you're interested.

RedRyder518 12-02-2010 04:43 PM

Thanks for the offer but wheels are the LAST thing I have on my list for this car!

BizZzatch350 12-06-2010 11:53 PM

Just saw this post, that sucks pretty bad man :(

94 Camaro Z28 12-14-2010 11:26 PM

Any updates? So sad to see a car this beautiful in this condition

01ssreda4 12-18-2010 12:12 AM

I read the whole thread, however, I would seriously consider selling it for parts at this point. Or, having the underside checked out BEFORE dumping any money into the car. From the damage I see on the outside, all the suspension mounting points are gonna be way out of whack. Thats gonna be one crooked driving car if some $$$ isn't spent at the frame shop. Just not worth it IMO. And yes i'm aware of LT1 SS production numbers. Still doesn't justify getting all holy about it. In the end, it is just a car, metal and plastic. I would be sick if I was in your place too, however I would be seriously realistic about my decisions and keeping that POS.

67drop 12-18-2010 12:24 PM

Fix it

Get it measured. Any good body shop will have a laser frame measure system. The car will be clamped on a level bench. Then they will set targets at four equal points near the center of the car to create a "box" making sure the unibody is straight. After this has been done then they can check specific points like k member mounting points or rear trailing arm mounting points. Even if these are off its easy to be pulled back into range. Factory fit allows plus or minus 3mm so some measuments can be almost 6mm off when compared side to side (of course this is an extreme case). From the looks of it it doesnt appear to be too badly damaged. I would and can fix it! I love the earlier fourth gen front lights. Looks so mean

Edit: to have the unibody checked is 1.5hr industry standard. not including removal of any parts. so for under $150 you will know how straight or crooked this car is.

RedRyder518 12-20-2010 09:08 PM

Hey guys sorry for not updating...I didn't get an email update that anyone has posted.

I am off from work for the next two weeks so I finally have some time to get the axle changed out so it can be at least a roller. I am taking it to S&T Auto as soon as I get the axle replaced to get the frame checked. If the frame is too damaged to repair, then I will obviously sell it out for parts. BUT....the guys at S&T are quite confident in their repairs that they also offer a lifetime warranty on it. They charge $90 to check the frame and then I don't remember what they said for each hour of repair.

So I will let you know how it goes!

67goatman455 12-20-2010 11:16 PM

probably about $45 an hour to fix the frame.

nascarnate326 12-24-2010 07:15 AM

If you keep for a long time, in 20 years fixing that car will be one of the best things you did.

think about how many people would love to have there old cars back.

If they can restore some rusted POS first gen to a head turner...they can fix that.

defaultexistence 01-02-2011 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by jay7199 (Post 13786548)
shes totaled
upgrade/replace your broken suspension, send your wheels off to wheels of America for repair.. they can fix just about anything.

^^YUP

if the frames got a little tweak id still fix it..

Its a Original 96 SS, shes a keeper no matter what.

^^YUP

good luck, I hope you keep it.

Originally Posted by jay7199 (Post 13812104)
buy it back, get to work

Originally Posted by nascarnate326 (Post 13855248)
Buy it back, make it as driveable as possible.

In 20 years that vin = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Originally Posted by nascarnate326 (Post 14274981)
If you keep for a long time, in 20 years fixing that car will be one of the best things you did.

think about how many people would love to have there old cars back.

If they can restore some rusted POS first gen to a head turner...they can fix that.

Consensus :D Shitty news ,new fresh list of mods/projects:D

RedRyder518 01-03-2011 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by defaultexistence (Post 14306193)
Consensus :D Shitty news ,new fresh list of mods/projects:D

REAL shitty news...but yes, I'm already planning out what I want to do once I get the frame checked!

johnp94 01-03-2011 06:12 PM

You say it was at the auction. Was it easy for you to purchase back? Did you have first dibs on the car? was there other people bidding ?. Sorry about all the questions and sorry about the damage. I've been wondering how the process of purchasing back from the insurance company works.

RedRyder518 01-03-2011 09:25 PM

I just told State Farm that I wanted to keep the car and they deducted the salvage value from the claim payment. I then had to drive to the auction place and pick it up.

95killerz 01-24-2011 08:14 PM

Sorry about he car definately a sweet ride. From the pics. unless the floor pans are ripped shreds i don't think it looks that bad good luck with the resurrection

bestlude 01-24-2011 08:46 PM

even wrecked you can tell its a nice car... glad to hear that your fixing it man

monte87 01-27-2011 11:13 PM

any update on the ss?

RedRyder518 01-30-2011 12:49 PM

No current updates....to follow though!

formula vincent 02-06-2011 05:38 PM

man i feel your pain ...good thing nobody got hurt. maybe you could look around for
a similar car ..a roller . then transfer the parts from your wrecked car .check
classified section good luck.

LilJayV10 02-12-2011 10:24 PM

Are you going to keep the thread updated as you put it back together?

Rushin 03-07-2011 09:17 PM

How's the car coming along?

sheikss 03-13-2011 06:00 PM

How far is katy from OKC? I might have a rearend out of a 97 that has new axles, a new auburn diff, and 3.42's. If I still still got it and you will come get it then it's yours. I put a few blocks and dyno runs on it, maybe 100 miles and that is stretching it. Oh, it's got a cast diff cover also.

sheikss 03-13-2011 06:04 PM

Just checked mapquest, it's about 450-500 miles and 7.5 to 8 hours away.

badfbodyz 03-28-2011 05:50 PM

so glad to see this car getting fixed! i hate seeing so many cars like this one getting parted out these days because everyone is too lazy to get off their ass and fix it!:nod: i had a 95 z28 that looked like it had come strait from a junkyard when i got it. after about a year of work, it was finally completely restored. i had so much fun with the build, and everybody that saw the car when it was done thought it was'nt the same car. it was one of the nicest ones that i had owned. make sure to take your time and do everything right. so have fun with the rebuild and keep us updated:D

BizZzatch350 03-29-2011 01:03 AM

What the frame place say?

97 Z28 30TH ANNIVERSARY/full bolt on..much more to come
66 NOVA SS 540 BBC,CANFIELD HEADS,TH400
96 TA M6 (getting full restoration)
rest of familys junk...
55 chevy pro street, 96 slp ss car no.1371, 96 slp ss, 96 Z28, 96 trans am ws6, 94 trans am gt
Good grief, y'all like LT1 4th gens much lol

badfbodyz 03-29-2011 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by BizZzatch350 (Post 14705896)

Good grief, y'all like LT1 4th gens much lol

:nod: gotta love the body lines. and that list is old i need to update it. we sold the 96 TA i restored and the white ws6 and bought a 99 nbm ws6. and we now own 3 96/97 slp ss cars

nascarnate326 03-30-2011 07:16 PM

Any updates?

RedRyder518 04-07-2011 10:27 AM

Hey guys...didn't get an email there were replies to the thread. Unfortunately due to work travel, vacations, weddings, and just other "stuff" the Camaro is still in my storage unit on the trailer. I have not lost motivation to fix, just time isn't in the greatest quantity right now.

Shockwave179 04-11-2011 02:25 PM

Ugh man that is painful to look at. Hopefully it's fixable.

68z28 01-16-2012 12:51 PM

Best of luck in fixing your car. I've always liked that SS and it's tough seeing her sitting on forks. Can't wait to see some updates.

bluestreak98 01-23-2013 03:05 PM

I'm bumping this thread because I love your car and I hope to see it fixed. Any updates?

SparkyJJO 01-29-2013 03:46 PM

Yes I want to see this fixed!

97 SS #1578 07-05-2015 02:06 AM

Red I've been lookin at pics of your car (before wreck) for a long time and it's been one of my favorite LT1 SS's I've seen. I was incredibly sad to see it had been wrecked. But I just wanted to throw my support in the ring for you deciding to buy her back and keep her. If it takes 20 years to get back on the road so be it. I would absolutely make the same decision with mine. It's my baby and I couldn't let go. Good luck man

Bandits96ss 07-17-2015 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by 97 SS #1578 (Post 18871553)
Red I've been lookin at pics of your car (before wreck) for a long time and it's been one of my favorite LT1 SS's I've seen. I was incredibly sad to see it had been wrecked. But I just wanted to throw my support in the ring for you deciding to buy her back and keep her. If it takes 20 years to get back on the road so be it. I would absolutely make the same decision with mine. It's my baby and I couldn't let go. Good luck man

The guy hasn't registered activity on this site in 3+ years. One could assume that he probably gave up on the car and its hidden in his garage or he parted it out. (if so I hope he comes back because I am dying to find a 96 Car Cover)

You should post up some pictures in the Special Edition forum section under the "Post Pics of LT1 SS".......I love me a good LT1SS

RedRyder518 07-21-2015 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Bandits96ss (Post 18888931)
The guy hasn't registered activity on this site in 3+ years. One could assume that he probably gave up on the car and its hidden in his garage or he parted it out. (if so I hope he comes back because I am dying to find a 96 Car Cover)

You should post up some pictures in the Special Edition forum section under the "Post Pics of LT1 SS".......I love me a good LT1SS

Holy crap I'm surprised I remembered my password! Thank you guys for the kind words but she is still on the trailer in storage. No real excuse but I've just been more involved with my motorcycle, Lightning and just generally traveling.

The biggest reason of all that I have not started on it is that I just don't have room to work on it anywhere. My garage is taken up and I don't know anybody who has a cheap garage.

96 Z-Ragtop 07-29-2015 11:05 AM

Well if you ever decide to part it out, I'll take the hood. Hopefully you restore and get back on the road, though.....Good luck

Bandits96ss 08-06-2015 11:10 AM

Dibs on the mats, airbox, shifter, car cover if any of that becomes available.