Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Whats do I use to buff out scuffs and scrapes?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 06:13 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Whats do I use to buff out scuffs and scrapes?

I have a couple scrapes and scuffs on the car. One scrape is deep down to the black so im gonna touch it up a little. I have some smaller scrapes and scuffs that look like will at least half way buff out. What do I use for this?
Old 10-09-2010, 07:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

rubbing compound and polish, than wax it
Old 10-10-2010, 03:16 AM
TECH Regular

ZPC by zaino! apply by hand and a little elbow grease and seriously the scuffs or scratches will disappear before your eyes! can only be ordered through their website
Old 10-10-2010, 03:54 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Start with a regular wash with a good car soap; like meguiars or anything else. Claybar it, use a buffer or Porter Cable, start by polishing, then finish with a wax to protect the correcting. Done. As far as waxes and polishes, for off the shelf kind of stuff, I use Meguiars Ultimate Compound, and Tech 2.0 Wax. Works pretty good.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:18 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its amazing at how much wrong information is given. Depending on depth of scratch yo may need to go in a wet sand it with 1500-2000 grit sand paper. If you dont think it is that bad then use 3m med rubbing compound then step up to 3m fine rubbing compound then use polish/wax. I prefer wizards but lots out there.

Zaino is great for very light surface scratches in the clear. Claybar is good for overspray or removing impurities that are raised on the paint, but not really desinged for blemishes in the paint. Meguires is fine stuff but there is much better
Old 10-13-2010, 12:50 PM
On The Tree

Freefallin.1 is right but beware!!!!! If you start water sanding on factory clear you can rub thru in a heartbeat!!!! It's super thin so be careful and take your time. If you can feel the scratches with your fngernail then I hate to tell you but they aren't gonna come out. Scuffs will come out but if it's into the clear too deep then theres no chance and your just wasting your time
Old 10-14-2010, 02:35 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2002nbmss
Freefallin.1 is right but beware!!!!! If you start water sanding on factory clear you can rub thru in a heartbeat!!!! It's super thin so be careful and take your time. If you can feel the scratches with your fngernail then I hate to tell you but they aren't gonna come out. Scuffs will come out but if it's into the clear too deep then theres no chance and your just wasting your time
Hey thanks. I agree here is a over simplified way to tell, unless your car is white, if the "scratch" looks dual or white it is probably in the clear. If it is color or a grayish color it is probably in the paint. As 2002nbmss said factory clear is really thin so be careful and wet sand in a cross hatch pattern. If you can easily feel the scratch you may need to use a light glaze to fill it first. if you can post some hi res pics so we can give better feedback

Quick Reply: Whats do I use to buff out scuffs and scrapes?