Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Tire blow out damage repair question

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 02:17 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire blow out damage repair question

I've been given a '00 Camaro as trade for some mechanic work.

The car is decent but had a blow out on the LH front tire. The car was a repo and found in this shape on the side of the road. So I'll have to get a key made as well...

Visible damage:

Front facia
front LH fender/ inner liner
Some metal at the front of the front wheel well has been "Slapped" down and out of posission.

Although nothing looks to be torn in the metal, its all bent out of shape from the blown tire hitting it. It destroid the fender/ liner and knocked the facia down on that side.

Could this be fixed with out replacing the core support?
Is this metal bracing at the front of the fender well part of the core support( the part that the facia attaches to on the out side) ?

Sorry for no pics but just trying to figure out what I'm getting myself into.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's going to be hard for anyone to give an answer without seeing the damage. Pics would help if you can get some.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:36 PM
Launching!

http://img513.imageshack.us/i/imageyeb.jpg/

http://img132.imageshack.us/i/image4ex.jpg/

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Alright so here are some pics. Sorry not so good camera phone but you can get an idea of what im dealing with.

It looks like some of th bumper hanger can be unbolted and replaced. The rest it looks as though I should be able to bend back into shape.

Think its doable? ( for a laymen )
Old 02-13-2011, 06:13 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A blow out did that? Wow, that's some nasty damage. I think your best bet is to start removing parts, fender, wheel liner, etc. Get down to the parts you need to bend back. You'll likely have a much clearer picture when you can see all around. If the metal was only supporting itself up there and not ripped away from other metal(not talking bout being ripped away from the fender) then it looks like you may be able to reshape it. I think it may take more than a lil hammer though to get it back in shape though. You'll need to do some repainting on the metal to keep it from rusting anywhere the pieces were bent, scraped up, etc too.

Personally though, and especially being essentially a free car, I'd just take it to a body shop and let them properly reshape it. I can't imagine it'd cost THAT much. Especially if you remove the fender and such. Then reinstall new parts yourself. As for the key, don't forget you can use your VIN to get a new one from the dealer, but I'm sure you already knew that bit, lol.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:26 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That looks like more than tire blow out to me, but hey anythings possible. I would do an initial tear down on that, (remove bumper cover, fender liner, fender, etc) and then take some clearer pictures so we can assess the damage.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:58 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the replies fellas.

Looks like im going to try and get it back on the road. I'll take the advice given and do
an initial tear down. Luckily there are several salvage yards around with plenty of 4th gens.

What Im thinking now is that I might try and cut off the LH hanger section from a donor car in a spot that would be easy to replicate the cut on my car and tack weld on the new section.

But yeah a blow out did this for sure, there are rubber marks on just about every piece of deformed metal.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:04 PM
Launching!

Hell from looking at some other build threads on this site, it looks like everything that is bent from the blow out will unbolt from the rad support. schweet.

And by no means was this car free. I got it in exchange for fixing a manifold leak on a 96 GT mustang. It nearly gave me a mental break down working on that rusted pile of crap.

Quick Reply: Tire blow out damage repair question