Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

How much should it cost to repaint my hood, trunk and roof with PPG 2 stage paint?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 05:40 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default How much should it cost to repaint my hood, trunk and roof with PPG 2 stage paint?

Hi everyone. I have a 04 jag s type that is in the shop. While it's in the shop I asked about getting the top painted since it's fading. They quoted me $3500. I previously got quoted by a shop $1100. The shop that quoted me said that materials cost is high since they're going to be using ppg 2 stage and I would assume they're going to wet sand it so it looks nice once it's done.

Since they're already going to be mixing paint to spray my lower valence, I thought it would be cheaper than this. What's your take on this? How many hours and how much in materials cost should it take to paint my trunk, hood and top of the car where it's fading?
Old 03-15-2011, 11:52 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they wont JUST be painting your hood. they would likley be blending the fenders and removing/installing all grills. nozzles etcc. on your jag they have to do a full clear on not only the roof but both quarter panels because theres no cut off line/ molding to stop the clear without leaving a line.

essentially theyll be painting your hood, blending and full clear on your fenders. painting the roof and blending both quarters and fulll clear from A pillar to roof to quarter panels. price seems to be about right. shop that will do it for 1100.. i'd be cautious on the work and if youll even get a color match.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:49 PM
TECH Regular

just a little heads up to people that are not in the body shop bussiness there was about a 10% increase in price in all most materials used in a shop
Old 03-19-2011, 10:34 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love reading wrong information. First you have to clarify "2" stage. I will assume you mean b/c. Next they dont have to clear whole panels thats why its called blending. We blend paint and clear on panels with no lines all the time. Materials did go up and continue to. It sucks but that cost has to be past on.

3500 is crazy high though. Even with everything 2k is more realistic.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:45 PM
Staging Lane

Blend the base coat, clear the whole panel. You could tape it off and clear half the panel but seems like alot of extra work and a half *** way of doing things.

Quick Reply: How much should it cost to repaint my hood, trunk and roof with PPG 2 stage paint?