Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Bright Purple Metallic Aftermarkt Paint Match

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 09:00 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bright Purple Metallic Aftermarkt Paint Match

Hey guys. I have a '98 Firebird Formula with the Bright Purple Metallic Paint. About half a year ago, I was going through a drivethrough car wash with a kid standing out front with a pressure washer to get bugs off the front. As he was pressure washing my front end, a huge flake of paint came off my headlight. Consequentally, I've decided to handwash my car for the rest of its life. Anyway, I'm finally getting around to getting the headlight fixed and had a few questions.

First of all, what is the exact paint code? I've seen it referred to as 88 and 88u.

Second of all, I'm not sure exactly how the process for finding paint works. Is it like replacement parts where it can be bought from GM (If so, they probably don't carry it anymore)? What I'm assuming is that paint companies have to find an aftermarket color that matches closely enough or custom mix it. If that is the case, does anyone know what paints match Bright Purple Metallic?

Due to the rarity of the color, I don't necessarily expect to be able to find an answer here on the aftermarket paint, but if you can help, I would greatly appreciate it!
Old 05-27-2011, 10:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I gotcha man. B7-52978. Thats the Sherwin Williams color code for it. 98-99 camaro, BRT PURPLE MET. Go to your local Sherwin williams automotive supply store, and give them that #. They can get it to you in any form you want.......even in rattle can, haha j/k.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

BlackWS666, is the code any different for the '97 BPM Camaros? Someone claimed the '98 version had a different amount of pearl in it, but I don't know if I believe that. I bet it's exactly the same.
Old 05-28-2011, 01:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Brangeta
BlackWS666, is the code any different for the '97 BPM Camaros? Someone claimed the '98 version had a different amount of pearl in it, but I don't know if I believe that. I bet it's exactly the same.
Not sure bro. Let me do some investigating on that tomorrow when i get to work. What year is your car/model/color? If possible get me the paint # of the sticker inside the door.
Old 05-28-2011, 03:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's 88U just like the '98 color, I'm just curious, as someone once claimed the pearl additive or something was different to me. I don't know if it was BS or true. '97 Camaro, bright purple metallic.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

got any more pics?

Quick Reply: Bright Purple Metallic Aftermarkt Paint Match