Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

VFN Sunoco/cowl hood users...?

Old 06-03-2011, 11:44 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default VFN Sunoco/cowl hood users...?

Hi all.

would like to get feedback from anyone that has experience with either the Vfn sunoco or cowl hood stlyles ( bolt on style) on thier cars. I am interested in these hoods for my white 1999 Ls1 Camaro SS.

I do have have a few concerns about these hoods that I hope can be answered by any users.

A. How is the clearance underhood. I have a Fast toys 98 lid that slighty rubs the stock SS hood.

B. Structure integrity. Do these hoods flutter and flex at highway speeds?

C. Are weight savings accurate? I want this hood for weight reduction and saw its around 20lbs on VFN's site compared to the stock 1999 Camaro SS hood which is listed at 51lb?( is that a correct weight for stock?)

I would also like info on carbon fiber hoods in this style also.

Thanks in advance for your replies.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

ive put a few on customers cars and i would say one of ther best for quality,not sure on clearence
Old 06-03-2011, 05:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't know about clearance but the quality is great! No flexing or anything on the freeway. From what I remember about shipping my old stock hood the weight is accurate. I thought I remembered the stocker being 54lbs. I didn't weigh my sunoco before I put it on but 20lbs seems about right.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:26 PM
Teching In

I have a sunoco and its definitely lighter than the SS hood, my g/f and I mounted my hood...and she didn't complain about the weight...lol been d/d my car for 6+ months and it hasn't flexed or cracked. Cant tell you about clearance though it looks like you should be alright seeing how the cowl part starts pretty close to the front of the car. hope this helps.
Old 06-04-2011, 12:33 AM
Staging Lane

i have a sunoco vfn hood on my 02 z28. the air lid wont be a problem. also ive had mine on for about 8 months and it doesnt flex or anything the integrity of the hood is awesome. the bottom side of the hood looks just like a stock hood minus the cowl part. and last the weight saving is accurate mine was 17lbs with latch. its a big difference from the stock hood. However it did take a while to come in seeing that i wanted mine without the center body line. so i hope your not in a rush and also i was scared to use factory hood struts because ive been told they are to strong and will crack the hood. i have one factory one on the passenger side and it holds the hood up just fine and also allows it to close without much preasure needed. I hope that helps man Good luck.

Jason

Name:  car2.jpg
Views: 4239
Size:  122.9 KB

Name:  bigcar.jpg
Views: 5711
Size:  97.5 KB

Name:  IMAG0372.jpg
Views: 4591
Size:  86.0 KB
Old 06-04-2011, 10:58 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had both bolt-on and pin-on with my car. Clearance and weight is no issue with the pin-on. Get it! You will not be disappointed.
Name:  2010_0307CA.jpg
Views: 4849
Size:  405.1 KB

Name:  DSCF05311.jpg
Views: 13277
Size:  217.3 KB
Old 06-04-2011, 12:44 PM
Teching In

Thanks everyone for your informative experiences and photos of this product. I once I find a good paint shop locally in the Los Angeles area I will have it shipped there directly to start the paint process.

It looks like from some of the photos( jsmitty02z28) that this hood is paintable on the bottom also as is from the factory. Is this correct?

I like to show off my engine bay at car meets/drag races and want the "finished look" to continue under the hood also.

I do like the non body line version also, so I am willing to wait a little longer for that.

Thanks again for the help everyone.
Old 06-04-2011, 06:06 PM
Staging Lane

Yes it is possible to paint the bottom side and well worth it. te body shop that painted my car didnt even have to prep the bottom side it came all ready to be sprayed. the only thing they had to do was cut the side of the hood down in order for it to fit flush. the hood on the side had a little extra material and they shaved it down and didnt hurt the appearence orstructure of the hood. the body shop i had my car painted at said that it was the nicest fiberglass hood they have ever seen. i think youll be very satisfied with it. post pics when you get it

Jason
Old 06-04-2011, 06:17 PM
Launching!

I just picked up my four inch cowl hood today from VFN. The fit and finish are excellent. By far some of the best service as well!

Name:  Photo01131.jpg
Views: 9894
Size:  94.1 KB
Old 06-13-2015, 10:27 PM
Teching In

Default sunoco

what size Sunoco is this

Name:  car2.jpg
Views: 4511
Size:  122.9 KB
Old 11-24-2020, 02:50 PM
Teching In

Default Hood type?

I’m looking to find out what type of hood is this. I want to install it on my car but I’m not too sure as to what size(spec) bolts it takes and not being able to take it to the parts store with me is a pain.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: VFN Sunoco/cowl hood users...?