Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Need some buffing and detailing tips

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 12:09 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need some buffing and detailing tips

I want to buff my whole entire car but I'm not sure what to use and where to start. I know how to buff because I do alot at my job but we have simple set where we just use 3 stages. I'm going to buy the same buffer which is a makita 9227c rotary polisher from autogeek but I'm really unsure of the compound I need and the steps to take. My car has a few scratches and swirls I need to take out but I don't know the order I need to go. I guess what I'm asking is to get my car show car shine what are the steps from beginning to end when detailing. Pretty much after I clay bar the entire car which compound should I use to start for the whole car. I'm used to just washing and waxing my car I've never used wax sealants and polishers so where do I start and how do I end?
Old 08-25-2011, 01:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are proficient with a rotary, stay with it. But with a Porter Cable, there is no chance of holograms.

For compounding, use Meguiars 105 on a Lake Country Purple Foamed wool pad. After that it really depends on what car you have... Corvette or Fbody I'd recommend Menzerna SIP next on a Lake Country orange pad. Otherwise I'd recommend Meguiars 205, on the same orange pad. If you want to refine it further, some Menzerna 106FA on a white or black pad would be great. Or if you have a near flawless finish after 2 steps, I'd go with Menzerna PO85RD on a Lake Country Black pad. You can't get more gloss than that combo will give.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok cool thanks, and I have heard that about the porter cable I'm just afraid it won't be able to take out scratches very well. The rotary I use works like a champ on most scratches especially if I wet sand. Could I just use a porter cable after I get down with the rotary to take out any possible holograms?
Old 08-25-2011, 05:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes you absolutely can. And the PC is just as capable as the rotary. I can take out wetsanding scratches with the right combo on it.

Quick Reply: Need some buffing and detailing tips