Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Rear bumper removal and painting

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 08:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rear bumper removal and painting

I have some peel by the exhaust tips, etc... What is involved in taking the rear bumper cover off and doing the CETA mod on it? Can this piece be blasted with whatever nut shell media is out there? I was hoping to have it bare cleaned so the paint holds better next time.
Old 10-09-2011, 02:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Subscribed...I'm doing the CETA mod soon too.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bump, I need to remove mine too
Old 10-14-2011, 09:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Intercooler2
I have some peel by the exhaust tips, etc... What is involved in taking the rear bumper cover off and doing the CETA mod on it? Can this piece be blasted with whatever nut shell media is out there? I was hoping to have it bare cleaned so the paint holds better next time.

Well... When I did the CETA mod on my 'bird, I just jacked up the rear/put it on stands and laid on my back to stand it all down. I am lucky enough to not have complete exhaust (dumps), but if you have tips sticking out, you can drop them by taking them off their mounts. Finally just make the hell out of your car and make sure that there isn't any surface that could be contaminated with paint, that you don't want to be.

Boom, sexy ceta mod done
Old 10-14-2011, 09:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

remove the tails, get underneath, remove push pin plug thingys, 6 i think.. then undo the brackets inside the corners, they bolt together, the remove fasteners from the top.. make sure to remove the marker lights from each side.. too easy. I took mine off in about 15 mins.. Id advise you to soak the inside corner mating brackets with PB blaster or WD or something.. the threads are likely rust pitted and caked with debris... you need to get these off as easily as possible, they sometimes break...
Old 10-15-2011, 04:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The rear bumper is very easy to take off. There are 6 nuts (2 in the wheel well), 4 plastic clips on top, 3 or 4 tree-style push pins on the bottom, 2 more plastic clips on the bottom near the wheels, and a couple screws in the wheel well. You shouldn't have to force the bumper off. You do have to slightly bend the sides outward so the mounting studs come out of the holes in the body.

Oh yea, and don't forget to remove the side markers. You'll also need to fish the side marker harness out of the trunk so it comes off with the bumper.

http://www.lt1engine.com/tech/93-02-...eta-paint-mod/
Old 10-17-2011, 02:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Spartan7
The rear bumper is very easy to take off. There are 6 nuts (2 in the wheel well), 4 plastic clips on top, 3 or 4 tree-style push pins on the bottom, 2 more plastic clips on the bottom near the wheels, and a couple screws in the wheel well. You shouldn't have to force the bumper off. You do have to slightly bend the sides outward so the mounting studs come out of the holes in the body.

Oh yea, and don't forget to remove the side markers. You'll also need to fish the side marker harness out of the trunk so it comes off with the bumper.

http://www.lt1engine.com/tech/93-02-...eta-paint-mod/
If it feels like its still held on there when you're trying to pull it off, don't think its just stuck and pull harder. Look in every nook and cranny to try and find something else that might be holding it on. The harness for the side marker lights and license plate light is attached to the bumper cover as well, so make sure to remove that before you go yanking it off. Its held on by like 4-6 little grey snappy pieces (really technical) that pop out and in pretty easily. I also zip-tied the harness up after I got the bumper cover off so nothing was dangling and might get broken.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Take off the taillights remove 6 bolts, 4 inside the car 2 in the spare tire area (one is a pain because of the antenna) 2 on the opposite side and one on each side in the wheel well. 3 pull pins where the rear filler panel would be, and some pull pins underneath the car. side markers must be removed. May take some finess to pull off.

as for ceta mod, i used 1200 grit sand paper to rough the finish some, then dupli-cover adhesion promoter, dupli cover primer, i used gray, and then as many coats of duplicolor flat back it takes to get it right without runs. Duplicover is very forgiving for wet sanding to remove runs and holds up very well.

Name:  DSCN1690-1.jpg
Views: 3152
Size:  132.4 KB
Old 11-03-2011, 08:16 PM
11 Second Club

I want to strip the whole bumper. Anyone know the best way to get the old paint off without destroying?
Old 11-18-2011, 05:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Intercooler2
I want to strip the whole bumper. Anyone know the best way to get the old paint off without destroying?
I'd like to know also. Both my front and rear bumpers are really showing their age, and as you previously mentioned, new paint will stick to a bare bumper better than one with old paint still on it. I've inquired about soda blasting, but nobody in my area has any personal experience, and I don't feel like being a guinea pig....
Old 11-26-2011, 05:42 PM
Teching In

I just sanded mine down with 380 grit, just like you would do any other part of the car. The main thing is to put the adhesion promoter on it before painting. I used the bulldog brand but other brands might hold up as well.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:32 AM
Staging Lane

Want to do it right? Sand with 240g. No need to go all the way down to plastic everywhere really, just where necessary. If it's still holding on after a good sanding, it's not going anywhere. Repair/fill any flaws if needed. Apply a plastic primer(adhesion promoter) to any bare plastic. Apply 3-4 coats of high build primer. Block sand with 320g or higher(600 wet at least if not using sealer before base). Then just seal, base, and clear. Should be perfectly straight, smooth, and pretty. You can do a lot less than that and make it look pretty good, but my job requires perfection.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:44 AM
TECH Addict

To bring up an old thread, but im in the process of removing my rear bumper and at stuck. After you remove the bolts inside, in each corner, all the push-pins at the bottom, and each fenderwell...Is there anymore? Is there any on the rear, behind the "camaro" panel? Any help would be great.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:21 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ARLS1
Want to do it right? Sand with 240g. No need to go all the way down to plastic everywhere really, just where necessary. If it's still holding on after a good sanding, it's not going anywhere. Repair/fill any flaws if needed. Apply a plastic primer(adhesion promoter) to any bare plastic. Apply 3-4 coats of high build primer. Block sand with 320g or higher(600 wet at least if not using sealer before base). Then just seal, base, and clear. Should be perfectly straight, smooth, and pretty. You can do a lot less than that and make it look pretty good, but my job requires perfection.
I will take a picture this weekend. I would love to do it in place or at least not have to strip the entire bumper for the couple of spots.

Quick Reply: Rear bumper removal and painting