Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

How to remove 1/4 panels/rocker panels?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 06:00 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How to remove 1/4 panels/rocker panels?

I bought a parts car to fix my wrecked 94 z28. I need to remove the rocker panels and quarters. Has anyone done this, or can lend advice?
Old 02-09-2012, 01:19 AM
10 Second Club

Same. I found people selling them on ebay and craigslist a long time ago. I assume it's a hacking and welding game, dunno but would like to know
Old 02-09-2012, 09:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

I didnt do my rocker, but I did change my DS quarter. You have to drill out all of the spot welds. It is a huge pain in the ***, but is he only way to do it without damaging the quarter. You are also going to need to remove the sail panel to get at the top of the quarter.

There are welds everywhere---at the bottom of the sail panel, all the way down the door jam, all along the wheel well, under the rear bumper, in the hatch jamb. It is a time consuming job. I bought a quarter from a member on here and he basically cut the whole rear half of the car off, this made it easier for me to see all of the attachment points so it was easier to get the one off my car.

I welded and "panel bonded" the new quarter.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:31 PM
Staging Lane

no need to take the sail panel all the way off, break lose the side you are removing the quarter from just enough to get to the spot welds and also you dont have to drill out the spot welds if your not reusing that quarter, just grind the spot welds down (a lot fast in my opinion)
Old 02-10-2012, 08:46 AM
Launching!

For my original question about the rocker panels, I just posted a rough how to guide after removing mine. I'm going to try and section the 1/4 panel to avoid removing the entire thing. I cut it right where the trim peice goes so the peice will cover where I joined the lower section to it.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by frehwk_ls1
no need to take the sail panel all the way off, break lose the side you are removing the quarter from just enough to get to the spot welds and also you dont have to drill out the spot welds if your not reusing that quarter, just grind the spot welds down (a lot fast in my opinion)
That is what I did with my sail panel, but it makes it difficult to get at the top of the quarter properly.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:38 PM
Staging Lane

an air hammer works well for that spot, just gotta be really careful

Quick Reply: How to remove 1/4 panels/rocker panels?