Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Adding Pearl to paint

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 10:26 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Adding Pearl to paint

I am currently in the process of repainting my 95 Z and I have already bought the paint and it matches fairly close to the original color. The car was a dark purple metallic (I think that's what it was called) and the color has 3 pearls in it by what the guy that mixed the paint said, he put red, blue, and a silver/white pearl in the paint. I was wondering if I could add a little more of each color of pearl but a little bit bigger flake/powder size to make it pop a little more.

Right now the new paint has a lot finer powder than the original was and I wasn't sure if I added a little bit of each color of pearl, would that help keep the shade of purple the same? I like the shade of purple its just there is really no pop like the original color of the car had, I am comparing a test piece of the new paint to the hood that was on the car (now have a sunoco hood). Also from an angle the new paint seems to have a redish tint to it would this change with adding more pearl?
Old 04-02-2012, 08:25 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Adding the pearls will change the color, it will probably lighten up some also, the pearls in small amounts will change it slightly though. It also depends on what other toners are in the color and the kind of metalics also.
Are you painting the whole car or just blending?
It may have a effect additive in it also.
Each toner has certin characteristics to it some blues(for example) have a red side tone and others have a green side, changing the amount of the toners or pearls will effect each other.
If your painting the whole car it isn't as big of a deal, but to get a certain look your going for you can take a small amount( say 4 oz) of your color and add the extra pearls, effect additive, or larger metallic and then make another test panel to see if it's moving the way you would like. But they may charge you.
Write down the amount of each that you add to the amount you have.. Like .8 grams of red pearl per every 4oz. That way you can duplicate it if you need.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:11 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We are repainting the whole car so its not that big of a deal. We ordered some blue, red, silver, and violet pearl from House of Kolor. We are planning to take about a pint of the paint we have and add just a little of red, blue, and silver to the paint and see how it looks. We may add more or less depending on what we see but we may also add some violet to it to give it a little something more. We want more red so it has close to the same sparkle of the original paint but we also want the blue so that it helps with the purple tone a little bit. We are also hoping that the pearl we ordered has bigger flakes or powder in it because the new paint you can tell the pearl is a lot smaller and finer than the original paint. I'm not to sure about toners or anything like that in the paint but we are just going to experiment a little bit thursday or friday and hope we can get it figured out since we are hoping to spray saturday.

Quick Reply: Adding Pearl to paint