Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

removing tailight tint

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 04:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default removing tailight tint

Friend of mine took her 04 jetta to some guy to have her tailights tinted. Despite what i told her she went through with it and naturally the guy did a **** poor job. Looks awful and its way too dark. Is there anyway to get this **** off without damaging the lense? I dont want someone to slam into the back of her and say its her fault because you cant make out the tailights. I mean in the day time you can barely see them at all. Idk what the guy used im assuming vht.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:40 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can use heat gun.start heating it and start pulling it.the glue what sucks.after removing all the tint,clean the light with like prep solvent to get rid most of the glue.then wet sand it with 1500 and then buff it out.i removed it for friend of mine on 350z.the glue messed up the clear-coat.so i had to re-clear his light.after you buff it and you still see little cracks everywhere means the clear is cracked.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you can also use gasoline thats what i did to mine
Old 04-12-2012, 10:36 PM
On The Tree

you said vht.. assuming its the spray tint? i used laquer thinner, worked fine
Old 04-13-2012, 01:39 PM
On The Tree

if its Niteshades, I would sand it off then buff the lights. I sanded mine down to retint them a while back.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Striker289
if its Niteshades, I would sand it off then buff the lights. I sanded mine down to retint them a while back.
Why scratch ur lenses up when you can just wipe it off with some gas/laquer/paint thinner/etc... ?
Old 04-16-2012, 08:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by critical.in.ga
Why scratch ur lenses up when you can just wipe it off with some gas/laquer/paint thinner/etc... ?
If you do it with a fine enough sand paper and then clear coat them it will make it like scratches are not even there.

Of course this all depends on whether or not they were sanded to begin with, if not there is no reason that the paint thinner shouldn't work, if so they're going to look pretty bad when the tint comes off. lol
Old 04-16-2012, 09:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by junior98
If you do it with a fine enough sand paper and then clear coat them it will make it like scratches are not even there.

Of course this all depends on whether or not they were sanded to begin with, if not there is no reason that the paint thinner shouldn't work, if so they're going to look pretty bad when the tint comes off. lol
Yea I guess if whoever did them, did them right.. they should have scuffed up the plastic before spraying the vht.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:09 AM
TECH Regular

what i did to my vht (because it was scuffed prior) was sanded it down with a palm sander and 800 grit, once it was all removed i took to hand sanding my way up to 2000 grit and let them dry, applyed wax and grease remover and about two coats of clear coat. i had to sand mine off to pass inspection so it was temporary. once i had inspection done i resprayed with vht again soo... using the palm sander and then hand sanding my ta tails and marker lights only took a total of about 2 hours to sand, wetsand, then dry, and shoot with clear. not hard to do
Old 04-17-2012, 07:47 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bones_c
what i did to my vht (because it was scuffed prior) was sanded it down with a palm sander and 800 grit, once it was all removed i took to hand sanding my way up to 2000 grit and let them dry, applyed wax and grease remover and about two coats of clear coat. i had to sand mine off to pass inspection so it was temporary. once i had inspection done i resprayed with vht again soo... using the palm sander and then hand sanding my ta tails and marker lights only took a total of about 2 hours to sand, wetsand, then dry, and shoot with clear. not hard to do
thats why i keep a spare set of lenses
Old 04-17-2012, 09:50 PM
TECH Regular

yea a set of spare lights would be nice... but not worth it to pay 500 for a set of ta lights just to sit around for a once a year inspection... have a few beers and clean up the lights... no problem for me... that just means i get a few more beers when i redo the tint lol
Old 04-17-2012, 11:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I poured acetone on my lights and the VHT just ran off, really didn't even have to wipe it lol

Quick Reply: removing tailight tint