Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

How do I clean this paint?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 01:58 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I clean this paint?

I painted my car satin black with the John Deere blitz black and it turned out great. I love how it looks. Until it got wet and now theres water spots everywhere and I don't know how to remove them. I washes the car with dish soap like someone told me before but these spots are terrible and won't come off. Any help?
Old 03-08-2012, 02:29 PM
On The Tree

i don't know really know a answer but pictures may help though. Also have you tried any type of wax or polish?
Old 03-08-2012, 04:03 PM
TECH Regular

It's satin so I cannot wax or polish it
Old 03-08-2012, 04:05 PM
TECH Regular

here's a picture on the wing
Old 03-08-2012, 04:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Wipe it down with vinegar? Test it somewhere hard to notice first.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

how long did the paint dry??
Old 03-08-2012, 05:03 PM
Teching In

Windex works for me on soft water spots. Idk if it would affect the satin finish or not though.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:51 PM
TECH Regular

The paint has been dry for a few weeks and it was fin unroll yesterday when it really rained hard
Old 03-08-2012, 07:11 PM
TECH Regular

Fine untill*
Old 03-08-2012, 07:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Those spots look more like plant residue from sap, pollen, or juice from say, berries. Hard water is usually white around the edges and dusty/pollen covered cars usually have yellow around the edges when it rains. I don't really know what to remove it with, as even on regular clearcoat it takes a few washes and maybe a wax to get rid of water spots. You could try some strong bug and tar remover and let it soak for a bit.

One of my personal pet peeves is water spots on my paint (factory clearcoat). It might sound obsessive, but I never wash the whole car in one pass since by the time you're done drying one section, the rest of the car is already dry with water spots. I'll wet the whole car down with the full jet setting to loosen dirt, then wash the roof, windows, and rear hatch/wing on the first pass. I'll rinse with the jet setting again and then dry those areas with a synthetic chamois. Next I'll wet the front of the car with the shower setting making sure not to get the windshield or previously dried sections wet again. I'll wash the hood and fenders down to the bumper and then rinse with the shower setting and dry again. Then I'll pop up the headlights and clean wet, scrub, rinse, and dry them along with the bug-splattered bumper. Then I do each side of the car separately (wet, scrub, rinse, and dry), and finally the rear lights and bumper. With what's left in the bucket, I'll wash the wheels one at a time using a dirtier set of rags. In short that's:
  1. Greenhouse/Glass/Roof + Hatch/Spoiler + Mirrors
  2. Hood + Fenders
  3. Headlights + Bumper
  4. Side of Car
  5. Side of Car
  6. Rear Bumper + Taillights
  7. Wheels
That probably doesn't help you much with your existing problem, but I never get water spots on my car, even washing in warm weather. For Camaros and other cars without pop-up headlights, especially if you don't do a lot of highway driving, you could probably combine #s 2+3 into one area.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:32 PM
TECH Regular

I tried soap n water. Vinegar. Windex. Rubbing alcohol. Wax and grease remover. Nothing works
Old 03-08-2012, 11:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks like coffee
Old 03-09-2012, 04:33 PM
TECH Regular

Kind of lol but if anything it may be a mixture of water and sawdust. It is a garage kept vehicle and the one time I take her out to get some legal **** done for it it rains
Old 03-09-2012, 08:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This comes with a word of caution, but if nothing else works, try this in a very minor area (under the spoiler would be good if there are spots there). First try some Clorox Clean-Up with bleach. I just used this on an old fridge I'm selling and nothing else could get the stains out of the white satin paint. It was just dingy and yellowed and had drip marks from where cleaner had worn away some of the dirt, but there was no way to "soak" the rest of it out. The bleach did the trick. If that doesn't work, you could try something stronger, like CLR, but that may discolor or even strip the paint off, so use with caution. Like I said, these are last-resort if nothing else works and the paint is basically damaged no matter what.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:25 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Apologize in advance for zombie post, but I stumbled upon this thread while googling and I have the solution to your satin water spot woes.

Original Armor All. I'll use it before car shows and wipe the whole car down with it. Three or four squirts from the bottle will do a whole panel. Just make sure to wipe uniformly and it'll come out great:

Old 04-30-2012, 11:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^ that looks good, i would have never though of armorall honestly
Old 05-10-2012, 06:29 AM
TECH Regular

ill have to try that... unfortunetly its been sitting like this for two months as i havent been home... i will be able to try this this upcoming weekend when i get home!! thanks and ill let you know it works..
Old 05-15-2012, 01:43 AM
TECH Regular

Well the armor all got rid of spots but it left streaks... Any thoughts on that? Was using armor all spray and a micro fiber

Quick Reply: How do I clean this paint?