Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

want to paint my car satin black

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 05:57 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default want to paint my car satin black

The paint on my car is shot soo and i dont have enough to get it repainted for a few years soo i was thinking flat black but i was looking at pics and i like satin black better. I have a few questions. Should i use some rattle cans or a cheap paint gun at walmart ? I'm a rookie painter but my friend at work claims him and his buddy is pretty good. Also what could i get if i should for clear coat ? i heard flat clear coat ? I'm gonna put on my cheap *** ss hood i and front bumper and left front fender i got from rockauto. should i paint it before i put it back on the car ?
Old 07-09-2012, 06:03 PM
Staging Lane

I would do some research on how to prep and paint a car first. then if your wanting to go with a cheap satin black i would just use eastwoods gallon kit of hopt rod black(flat black) and polish it a little till it is the satin gleam you like... costs about 120 for a gallon then you just need the spraying stuff to lay it down. but like any work if you dont know how to properly prep the car for paint (sanding, feathering, blocking finish glaze..ect...) it will look like crap regardless of who sprays it.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:06 PM
Launching!

Ohh i see, i was think about just using my DA w/ 1500 grit to sand it down then go for it but your right i have alot to learn before doing it.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:37 PM
TECH Regular

Do a lot of reading on prep work etc before you paint. Screw rattle cans find your nearest John Deere implement dealer and get a gallon of blitz black. This is what I used to get my car satin black I paid $40 for te gallon and you don't need any clear on it. Although I am about to reap ray mine again with the same paint but put a satin clear coat on it. Look into it it's a cheap alternative that looks really good

Old 07-10-2012, 07:02 PM
Launching!

i will look into that. looks great btw.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:21 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bones_c
Do a lot of reading on prep work etc before you paint. Screw rattle cans find your nearest John Deere implement dealer and get a gallon of blitz black. This is what I used to get my car satin black I paid $40 for te gallon and you don't need any clear on it. Although I am about to reap ray mine again with the same paint but put a satin clear coat on it. Look into it it's a cheap alternative that looks really good

got some more pics? looks excellent from this 1!
Old 07-16-2012, 06:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hot Rod Black by SEM. just google it for finishes. Sprays amazingly, You would have to screw up pretty bad to put a run in it, so great for a rookie. takes 2 kits. i think each kit was $100. i dont recall
Old 07-16-2012, 09:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Summit racing makes a HotRod Black Kit in their own brand stuff.. 100 for the kit and its 1.5 gallons sprayable
Old 07-17-2012, 05:17 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bones your car looks nasty. i need to figure out how you did this.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:17 PM
TECH Regular

here is a link to another thread that i have been talking in that i had some questions about. i ended up putting a clear coat on the car this past weekend and there are more pictures in the thread from after the clear coat.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/paint-bod...pli-color.html

Quick Reply: want to paint my car satin black