Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Epoxy Primer Recommendations- Stripped Underbody

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 01:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Epoxy Primer Recommendations- Stripped Underbody

I am in the process of eliminating all the underbody rust from my 98SS and need some paint recommendations. I have been reading everything I can but need advice from a professional that's not trying to sell me something.

I will be painting the whole under body, everything is removed. Rust is being ground out with discs and wheels, bare metal in lot's of areas. My goal is to never do this again.

What can I do about hard to reach rust? Are converters okay to use under the epoxy?

What can I use on areas as I progress to prevent flash rust? I have been using a spray can etch primer but now read that has to be removed.

What epoxy primer should I use, lots of bare metal but factory ecoat still undisturbed in nonrusted areas.

I want this done right. Advice much appreciated!
Old 08-14-2012, 01:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm currently re-doing the entire body on my car as I type this. As soon as the body is completely painted I'll be removing any rust under the car with PLC (or PCL, whatever it's called) primer. It's a high fill primer. Once it's all said and done the under carriage will be covered in under-coating or Rhino liner.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

PLC? Not familiar with this. Also, your painting the exterior before you get underneath?
Old 08-14-2012, 04:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup. If I decide to spray the liner on I can simply mask off the edge of the rocker panels, wheels wells, etc, and put a plastic cover over the entire car. There are some of the liners that can be brushed on to.
Old 08-18-2012, 01:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

I would POR 15 it. That will stop any rust that is still on the car. You can paint of it if you choose.
Old 09-02-2012, 02:03 PM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

Dupont makes a good epoxy primer that you can paint wet on wet to any color you want.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:19 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As far as epoxy goes I use only southern polyurethanes epoxy primer... its great stuff ... however for what your doing I recomemd por 15 as well ...great stuff.. let it dry and then just scuff it and clean it if you want to paint over it
Old 09-04-2012, 02:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Not a fan of POR 15, it's just a band-aid and has horrible adhesion to clean metal. I've seen it flaking off in sheet before, even when applied correctly with prep etc. Not half assing this, want a 2k epoxy - I am grinding everything, just asked about converters because of areas like inner frame in the rear and a few hard to reach areas.

I use only southern polyurethanes epoxy primer...
I am hearing a lot about SPI, giving Barry a call today.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Barry is a great guy ... get him to send you his product booklet .. its got some great tips on gun setup as well as a perfect paint job procedure.. pretty interesting read.... I use his epoxy not only on bare metals but as a sealer before my base goes on.

Quick Reply: Epoxy Primer Recommendations- Stripped Underbody