Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

What is the latest and best frame straightening technology today?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 03:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What is the latest and best frame straightening technology today?

I'm looking a car that's got a slightly bent frame (chassis?), It's been fixed but apparently not a very good job was done. The car looks fine to the untrained eye but a closer look under the car will reveal that it's been in an accident and repaired (not perfectly). I think it was straighten using a homemade method.

Anyway, now i would like to get it straightened perfectly according to factory specs. Like i mean not even being able to tell if it was damaged before. Is there a machine that can achieve this?
Old 06-17-2013, 07:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you dont need the latest and greatest equipment, just someone that knows what they are doing. The frame dimensions could be fine, they just didnt go through the trouble of prettying it up so you cant tell it was ever damaged.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 67goatman455
you dont need the latest and greatest equipment, just someone that knows what they are doing. The frame dimensions could be fine, they just didnt go through the trouble of prettying it up so you cant tell it was ever damaged.
But then again they could not be...
Old 06-17-2013, 10:58 PM
Launching!

Any relatively up to date Auto Body Collision Repair shop should have the proper "rack" for pulling frames to the correct specs down to a tolerance "X" mm like it was at the factory. There are obviously fancy tools/machines, but there isn't anything really special/new. Maybe ask if they use the laser measuring machines as opposed to the specialized manual ruler gauges so it's more accurate.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Firebird Phoenix
Any relatively up to date Auto Body Collision Repair shop should have the proper "rack" for pulling frames to the correct specs down to a tolerance "X" mm like it was at the factory. There are obviously fancy tools/machines, but there isn't anything really special/new. Maybe ask if they use the laser measuring machines as opposed to the specialized manual ruler gauges so it's more accurate.
I hear ya. Any instructions on how to measure the undercarriage/frame? Specifically for a Commodore VZ SS or a GTO.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:25 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Freefallin
I hear ya. Any instructions on how to measure the undercarriage/frame? Specifically for a Commodore VZ SS or a GTO.
As far as doing it yourself to see how off it is structurally? The "cheapest" route is going to be buying the manual tram gauges I mentioned with various attachments, and buying a collision repair manual for the vehicle that lists the measurement points you would have to take.

Basically not really worth buying all of that for a one time use especially if you're obviously not going to be the one doing the work.

My recommendation is take the car you're wanting to buy to a shop and get a more than thorough estimate. Call around, and explain your intentions. Most shops on a regular estimate wouldn't usually throw it up on their rack and do all the laser (which find out if they have this system so it's more accurate like you're wanting) measurements, but make your point clear that you want a print out of how off it is at all those structural points so you know how bad it is, and what's going to cost you.

Heads up...this isn't going to be cheap I can tell you that already. This car better be one hell of a deal or something going for it if you're wanting to put this much effort into it. Then again I have no room to talk as I bought a Firebird that was wrecked for a custom project, and wanting to do what you're talking about with eventually fixing to the exact proportions.

Quick Reply: What is the latest and best frame straightening technology today?