Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Painted Car with spray paint "Go easy on me"

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 10:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painted Car with spray paint "Go easy on me"

First of all let me say this isnt permanent. I was supposed to paint the car at Maaco but my savings funds went to **** when I have to pay for New rotors,pads,calipers and one wheel bearing. So with winter classes coming up and the PS4 I had to put the money else where. Anyways my car was three diff colors which after five weeks really got to me. So I decided since its not going to be painted until spring might as well experiment. First of all let me say this I WILL NEVER SPRAY PAINT A CAR AGAIN.I never used a gun but a painters gun has to take a lot shorter than this did. The first run threw took me 1hour to tape off and 5hours to get a decent coverage. I used Rustoleum Flat White protective enamel. I didn't want to go with a gloss because that's to messy and hard to make it look like a pro job. So flat is more forgiving. That being said I'll prob take everything back off in Spring and go over it with real Automotive Paint. I was going to go with viper metallic blue but after seeing this white and black scheme I'm leaning more towards this. This was my first time doing this so I had fun, this was a learning experience that I'll never forget and will never do it again here's some pictures enjoy

Last edited by 95Transamkid; 11-03-2013 at 11:53 PM.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:15 PM
On The Tree

no pics
Old 11-03-2013, 11:34 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why would you post this without pics? awkward.....
Old 11-03-2013, 11:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ZEEYAL8R
no pics
sorry something f'ed up on my tablet had to upload from the desktop
Old 11-03-2013, 11:48 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

actually it turned out better than i expected after reading that first paragraph
Old 11-03-2013, 11:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SSickLS1SS
actually it turned out better than i expected after reading that first paragraph
Thanks. Yea after I finished up with it my first thought was "never again" Kami. I'm happy with it though. The hood was the hardest part for some reason.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:18 AM
TECH Addict

you REALLY need to fix the gaps and fitment of the whole front end, driver side of hood is way to far back, that said you really should of removed the side molding before doing this. Not as bad as you made it out to be, but you could of got similar results using the duplicolor primer by the quart at adavance auto (and other parts stores) and the cheap 40-60 dollar spray gun if you have access to an air compressor for not much more and be closer to ready for a proper paint instead of having to sand down all the enamel in a few months. here is a pic of my first accord that was coated in nothing but the duplicolor primer.
Attached Thumbnails Painted Car with spray paint "Go easy on me"-honda.jpg  
Old 11-04-2013, 12:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

the pics make it look good. wondering how it looks close up. I like the white and black scheme
Old 11-04-2013, 12:38 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
you REALLY need to fix the gaps and fitment of the whole front end, driver side of hood is way to far back, that said you really should of removed the side molding before doing this. Not as bad as you made it out to be, but you could of got similar results using the duplicolor primer by the quart at adavance auto (and other parts stores) and the cheap 40-60 dollar spray gun if you have access to an air compressor for not much more and be closer to ready for a proper paint instead of having to sand down all the enamel in a few months. here is a pic of my first accord that was coated in nothing but the duplicolor primer.
Yeah I did a front end swap so I'm still the process of lining it all up. Need the 98-02 hood hinges. Yeah the garage is clogged with a 1965 Dart, 1967 Corner and a 1970 Charger all being painted and prepped. So I do have a compressor available and stuff but leaving primer over it over winter in the open I would still have to sand it down regardless. But your accord looks nice man.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:43 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by autogeek23
the pics make it look good. wondering how it looks close up. I like the white and black scheme
Thanks. I'd give it a 8/10 as far as spray paint goes. A 6/10 compared to a Pro Paint Job. Yeah the black and white looks mean.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:59 AM
Teching In

Painting is a lot harder than it looks, I thing you did a good job.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did almost the same exact thing with my camaro just over 2 years ago. I'm finally in the stages of getting it professionally painted. The painter absolutely hates it because I used over 100 cans of duplicolor primer, enamel and clear coat. He said when sanding it was gumming up and was a huge pain in the ***. Luckily he's awesome and is doing a great job, but just be prepared for a lot of prep work again
Old 11-04-2013, 04:24 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by am_muscl
I did almost the same exact thing with my camaro just over 2 years ago. I'm finally in the stages of getting it professionally painted. The painter absolutely hates it because I used over 100 cans of duplicolor primer, enamel and clear coat. He said when sanding it was gumming up and was a huge pain in the ***. Luckily he's awesome and is doing a great job, but just be prepared for a lot of prep work again
thats part of why I've decided not to rattle can (even with a PPG mixed rattle can) my new T/A rear bumper, guy said I wouldn't like the results and it's alot more prep work to repaint it right later. I've got to save up a bit but one of the guys that works there said if I did all the sanding prep he would spray the bumper properly (2 stage, base then clear) to match for 100 bucks materials included.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:10 AM
10 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Turned out pretty good for a spray can. I know the feeling on painting. It's not as easy as you think.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:19 AM
Teching In

Thanks guys. Yeah there's still spots that are uneven like the hood. But I got to the point where I was like hey this isn't supposed to be permanent just last 4months. Plus as you mention any more paint on this makes it harder to take off. I'm prepared to hate myself I've done it before haha
Old 11-04-2013, 09:22 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
thats part of why I've decided not to rattle can (even with a PPG mixed rattle can) my new T/A rear bumper, guy said I wouldn't like the results and it's alot more prep work to repaint it right later. I've got to save up a bit but one of the guys that works there said if I did all the sanding prep he would spray the bumper properly (2 stage, base then clear) to match for 100 bucks materials included.
100 cans?!? You're better than me I used 13 and I got tired and ran out of money you're lucky to have such a nice painter
Old 11-04-2013, 09:23 AM
Launching!

I have to do something similar with my DD jetta. It was keyed pretty badly before I bought it
Old 11-04-2013, 10:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 95Transamkid
Thanks. I'd give it a 8/10 as far as spray paint goes. A 6/10 compared to a Pro Paint Job. Yeah the black and white looks mean.
Yeah, you did a pretty decent job for it being a spray paint job. I don't think I could ever take a can of spray paint to my car though haha

And yes, white and black does look mean lol
Old 11-04-2013, 11:24 AM
Teching In

Thanks man. Yeah I wanted a Viper Blue but this white is growing on me. Yeah I've done somethings not to smart before lol
Old 11-04-2013, 01:20 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 95Transamkid
100 cans?!? You're better than me I used 13 and I got tired and ran out of money you're lucky to have such a nice painter
uh, I think you misread something. no not 100 cans, the painter that also works at the PPG store in my town said if I did the sanding prep on the rear bumper, he would do a 2 stage (basecoat/clearcoat) materials included for 100 dollars.

now the accord was painted with this http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...mer#fragment-1 it is a "premixed" quart so all you have to do is stir it up real good (it settles out like any paint) and put it in the gun like you would any other spray, I forget how many of them it took but was probably around 3 or 4.

Quick Reply: Painted Car with spray paint "Go easy on me"