Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Does this car have frame damage?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 01:24 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does this car have frame damage?

Hey all!! I am currently trying to get back into a trans am, and have a car with the rite mods and set up that I want. The person is asking a hefty 14k which is ok with me but what really bugs me is that he got rear ended in a parking lot a few months back while he was shopping and didnt claim it on insurance because he thought it was nothing. Now the problem arises because the car from the outside has a small scuff barely noticeable on the rear bumper and the exhaust tip. I have attached a picture. But the accident somehow caused the t-top holder in the trunk to crack. My theory is that the rear steal got compressed and ending up cracking the t-top holder. He says that the area is slightly pushed in and I would need some "hammering" to fit a new t-top holder in. So is the frame of the car is no good?. He says there are some plastics under the car that is also cracked. The funny thing is that the entire exterior is fine the body lines, line up but yet the t-top trunk area is slightly compressed on one side. He says the frame is fine and the car drives perfectly straight and that I am overthinking it.... The car is 200 miles away from me, what do you guys suggest?
The owner requested I take his pics down because it shows his license plates thanks for the help thou!!

Last edited by firebirdforlife; 03-06-2015 at 05:14 PM.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:40 AM
TECH Resident

14k for a car that isn't 100%. **** that. Much better options out there..
Old 03-06-2015, 02:17 AM
Staging Lane

I managed to bring him down to 12 but I don't know if the car is worth it at this point. If its frame has been compromised there is no point in me dishing out money.
Old 03-06-2015, 03:27 AM
TECH Resident

I doubt it has frame damage, it'd be fairly easy to check. I had an SS that had been rear ended, the T Top wheel had got pushed in a little and was able to pull it out fairly easy.
Old 03-06-2015, 09:12 AM
Staging Lane

Define pull it out easily? Do i just take a hammer and give it a few knocks? If i was going to get this proffessionaly repaired would it require cutting and welding to replace the steel beam that had been bent inward? Doesnt the bending mean the structural integrity of the car has been compromised?
Old 03-06-2015, 09:39 AM
On The Tree

is it my imagination or is the T top holder bracket compressed from the rear body being pushed in? The pics are no good to help you. Also looks like the bumper on the rt side is poppedout. That spot being popped out would leave me to believe the rear body has issues. pretty familiar with these cars and I work in a body shop.

Get some pics from the underside so see the rear body panel from between the bumper reinforcement. But if the bracket broke from being bumped with the T tops on the roof then you have bigger problems and this car would by no means be worth anywhere near 12 or even 10k. You prob. have a smashed bumper reinforcement and will need major rear body repairs or replacement. Next question is did he replace the bumper reinforcement and not fix anything else to make it seem like it was just a parking lot damage? I have a Camaro in the shop right now the filler below the tail lamps is fine the bumper cover does not look like much damage at all, but the reinforcement is smashed and the rear body panel is shoved in pretty hard.

it has Washington plates what part of the state is this car in ?
Old 03-06-2015, 12:17 PM
Staging Lane

Yes that is exactly what happened the area got compressed and the t top holder cracked. He is in tacoma, and apparently he got nothing replaced because he didnt want to pay the deuctible for such a small thing according to him. I am asking him for alot more pics of the area.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

I would ask him to kindly go **** himself. 14K for somebody elses problem? Nah bro. If you're willing to spend that much money you can find something really nice and not sketchy. Keep looking.
Old 03-06-2015, 02:14 PM
On The Tree

I agree keep looking. hell I bet he cashed out, took the money and is now trying to get another car that is not smashed up. That is not a parking lot hit. Hell if I could get dollars in the low five figures for my 40k mile formula that is properly modded I would prob move on and finish my other build.
Old 03-09-2015, 11:47 AM
On The Tree

Move on from it $12k for a crashed car no way. You don't know what surprises are under that bumper.

Don't buy it.

Quick Reply: Does this car have frame damage?