Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Is there any way I can put this bumper back on?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 12:35 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there any way I can put this bumper back on?

Title pretty much says it. I don't have money to repair it and it's my only transportation. I do believe the front bumper is in okay condition. My plan was to just zip-tie but I don't see how I would do that with the entire bumper off.
Attached Thumbnails Is there any way I can put this bumper back on?-20151110_141826.jpg   Is there any way I can put this bumper back on?-20151110_141834.jpg   Is there any way I can put this bumper back on?-20151110_141845.jpg   Is there any way I can put this bumper back on?-20151110_142055.jpg  
Old 11-13-2015, 10:00 AM
TECH Addict

honestly I think you have bigger issues then the bumper cover, your hood is pretty beat up upfront and I'd be more worried about the hood latch functioning properly and the lack of the passenger headlight that you can't just "swap out" since the metal all around it is pushed in.

that said if the mounting tabs on both the bumper and car are not torn (which they likely are) a bunch of zip ties will work to hold it in place.
Old 11-13-2015, 11:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I could list a bunch of technical knowledge here, but useless to you without the skills.

if your urethane bumper tabs are torn off, you could make holes in the fascia sides to loop some long zip ties through & drive on for now.
Sometimes we have to do what we have to to survive, feel your pain.
Old 11-16-2015, 07:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

That car needs more than a bumper only ride or not it's not safe to be on street. Passenger headlamp turn lamps etc namely.
Old 11-22-2015, 04:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

sell it and buy another car
Old 11-22-2015, 07:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
That car needs more than a bumper only ride or not it's not safe to be on street. Passenger headlamp turn lamps etc namely.
Obviously part of the reason to put the bumper cover back on is to make it safe on the street again. The wiring looks like it is all intact, so once the cover is back on then he can reconnect the wiring to the turn signals and such.

Yeah, the passenger headlamp is gone so that needs fixed ASAP, but he'd be fine during the day at least. One headlight is passable at night if necessary, and if the fogs are still intact and can be aimed properly after the cover is put back in place then he would have that as well.
Old 11-26-2015, 05:24 PM
Teching In

Got bumper on and looking better thanks to a drill and zip ties.
I need to either buy a new headlight assembly or figure out how to rig this headlight up.
Attached Thumbnails Is there any way I can put this bumper back on?-newfird.jpg   Is there any way I can put this bumper back on?-newfirebird.jpg  
Old 11-26-2015, 07:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

I have to ask what exactly happened and how did you get so much damage on the internals with almost no bumper damage at all?
Old 11-26-2015, 08:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Need4Camaro
I have to ask what exactly happened and how did you get so much damage on the internals with almost no bumper damage at all?
car started fishtailing tried to correct it but went sideways and rear driver side fender(included a pic) hit a car and and the the front bumper went into the side walk. But every snapon and bolt piece that connected the bumper to the car is broken and it's cracked in the middle and if you look closely you can see the zip tie at the bottom (looking towards the middle right part of bumper)
Attached Thumbnails Is there any way I can put this bumper back on?-20151110_141952.jpg  
Old 11-27-2015, 05:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by camw601
car started fishtailing tried to correct it but went sideways and rear driver side fender(included a pic) hit a car and and the the front bumper went into the side walk. But every snapon and bolt piece that connected the bumper to the car is broken and it's cracked in the middle and if you look closely you can see the zip tie at the bottom (looking towards the middle right part of bumper)
Ouch

Are you going to get it fixxed in time or are you looking to part with it?

I wont lie I've had close encounters with wet weather before. There was a red light camera at a intersection as I was approaching it too fast to stop and was preparing to make a left turn so trying to beat the light, on wet pavement I mashed the gas and went sideways into opposing traffic lanes, then toward a traffic light post, and corrected it just in time to complete my turn into the lane I intended... scared the crap outa me. This was several years ago in a 01 Z28.

The best way to handle it when its going sideways is to shift it into Neutral or press the Clutch (to cancel any additional power going to the rear wheels) and steer in the direction that you want to go - don't hit the brakes or gas, just go with it and let it come back to you. -- This saved me multiple times during snow / ice storms in my F-Bodies.
Old 11-27-2015, 10:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Need4Camaro
Ouch

Are you going to get it fixxed in time or are you looking to part with it?

I wont lie I've had close encounters with wet weather before. There was a red light camera at a intersection as I was approaching it too fast to stop and was preparing to make a left turn so trying to beat the light, on wet pavement I mashed the gas and went sideways into opposing traffic lanes, then toward a traffic light post, and corrected it just in time to complete my turn into the lane I intended... scared the crap outa me. This was several years ago in a 01 Z28.

The best way to handle it when its going sideways is to shift it into Neutral or press the Clutch (to cancel any additional power going to the rear wheels) and steer in the direction that you want to go - don't hit the brakes or gas, just go with it and let it come back to you. -- This saved me multiple times during snow / ice storms in my F-Bodies.
It runs as good as the day I bought it so I'm thinking I will keep it and continue driving it once I get a passenger headlight for it. The wiring for it still works and the driver's headlight works perfectly still as well. I don't have enough to fix it up and I know it just wouldn't be worth it either.

I've had many close encounters myself especially in my 00 Z28 and I did just that except the shift into neutral part but it didn't work out this time unfortunately.

Quick Reply: Is there any way I can put this bumper back on?