Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

What would YOU do? Paint, Wrap, Dont touch it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 10:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would YOU do? Paint, Wrap, Dont touch it?

I have an 02 Z28 (black) that has really rough paint and I'm looking at redoing it possibly.

Before I get started on my dilemma I do work at a performance shop where we have a decent paint booth and one of my co workers is decently knowledgeable with paint. I also have access to companies for vinyl wraps and other products at a discounted price.

Basically my car's paint is terrible and I've been thinking about redoing it but not sure which way is going to be better for longevity, durability and budget friendly?

My 3 options I'm interested in are Painting the car factory black and not doing engine bay or door sills etc... Wrapping the car in a quality vinyl and picking a random color or pattern that I like. Or sanding the car down and doing a single stage flat black.

I am by no means a paint and body guy, and have never done a wrap but I am a perfectionist so I know I could do it right with enough time and guidance.

So what would YOU do if this was your car from the 3 choices?
Attached Thumbnails What would YOU do? Paint, Wrap, Dont touch it?-img_1441.jpg   What would YOU do? Paint, Wrap, Dont touch it?-img_1442.jpg   What would YOU do? Paint, Wrap, Dont touch it?-img_1443.jpg  
Old 07-11-2016, 09:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If money is no object then I feel paint is the way to go.
Because then you can always do a wrap on top of that when you want to change the color without it being permanent
Old 07-11-2016, 10:27 AM
Staging Lane

I just completed a wrap on a few parts of my car (the hood, sail panel and mirrors) and I would suggest going with paint if at all possible, especially on a (comparatively easy) color like black.

I am very skilled with my hands and vinyl is in some ways very easy to work with but in some others it can be unbelievably difficult and frustrating, I am also a perfectionist so the little details really bug me. The main issue is that if you go with a gloss vinyl like I did EVERY little flaw in the surface will still show through and the vinyl will show some evidence of where you worked the material into every groove etc. Even across the flat surfaces it shows some marks of where I would pull it back up to eliminate bubbles etc. and I guarantee those spots where the clear coat has faded will still show through the vinyl as well. So if you go with vinyl I would suggest a satin or flat finish but considering how much dirt, water spots and crap sticks the even the gloss finish I am not sure that would make you happy either.

And finally you have to treat it like you are painting the car anyway and remove just about every piece you can get off to make it work well and come together so I can't say that it is a time saver.

In the end I am very happy with my personal results for how little the vinyl cost but it was not easy and it's not a long term solution. Previously I have owned a fourth gen Camaro so I certainly think that it would be easier than all extreme curves on my current hood but I already know that I will need to paint it in the near future, once I get better at it.

My prior car was a 69 Mercury that I painted in the backyard (no booth or anything just on clear and calm days) with John Deere Blitz Black and Green and it was honestly easier and produced better results than the wrap did. If you take your time on the prep work the Blitz Black is easy to work with, super durable and extremely easy to touch up anytime. I have heard some say that it's a hard paint to go over so it may require extra work when/if you have the budget to go with an all new paint job.

TLDR, go with the flat/satin paint job.
Attached Thumbnails What would YOU do? Paint, Wrap, Dont touch it?-img_2581a.jpg   What would YOU do? Paint, Wrap, Dont touch it?-img_0485a.jpg  
Old 07-11-2016, 11:55 AM
Teching In

If I do the wrap it will definitely be flat, I'm thinking black, green, or white. I'm planning on sanding basically the whole car any way, as there is so much clear coming off I don't think the vinyl would stick very long in those areas. Did you clear the car that was painted with John deer paint?
Old 07-11-2016, 12:25 PM
Staging Lane

No the John Deere stuff (black or green) is just a one stage paint, nothing on top is needed at all. And what I really liked is that with the black you could go from the spray gun to the spray can and barely notice a thing. That made it extremely easy to do some of the parts separately without having to drag out the whole gun/compressor set up every time.

Blitz Black is very popular among the hot rod and rat rod crowd and their are a ton of sites just on how to work that one paint alone. It comes out as as satin finish that is very easy to touch up and maintain, I had no issues washing it or even taking Goof Off to the more serious bug & tar hits. The green is not quite as easy to work with as runs, drips etc show up more easily but I wanted to see if I could do a two tone look.

I will admit I am not a pro by any means (I broker life insurance) I did it to learn how to paint, same reason I did the wrap and salvaged the body kit I have. But as an amateur who has done both the wrap and spray out of a tiny one stall garage and in the back yard I personally would do the paint again over the vinyl. (unless what is underneath is worth saving of course)
Old 07-14-2016, 06:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not a vinyl wrap kind of guy, so, I vote paint it. Since you already have to sand down the clear anyways to get a good base for the vinyl to stick to, why stop there. You said you have access to a spray booth and a painter! All you need is the paint.

In the end it will last longer and save you money from having to replace the vinyl much sooner than you would have to repaint the car.
Old 07-14-2016, 12:03 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,059 Posts

I would re-paint the car in factory black. The wrap doesn't appeal to me at all, and the flat black look is extremely unpleasing to me.
Old 07-14-2016, 12:10 PM
Teching In

Paint is my vote. I'd do factory black since that was the original color. Any type of wrap I feel wouldn't look good if what is underneath it has flaws...just my opinion though.
Old 07-14-2016, 04:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 297 Likes on 165 Posts

Paint.
Old 07-15-2016, 04:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 70 Posts

Paint hands down

Quick Reply: What would YOU do? Paint, Wrap, Dont touch it?